Main Forums > The Roundtable

Some people aren't too bright

(1/2) > >>

Brad Johnson:
I had a message waiting on my office phone this morning that was obviously a misdial because the caller's first words were "Hey... officer...". The caller went on to make very specific threats about where and when the officer should meet him, and how many people would be there to kill him when he arrived.

The call arrived after office hours so it could only have come through on my direct line. That's narrows the called-number permutation possibilities a bit (we have 20 incoming numbers that go to the reception desk). About the only identifying elements were that the caller also had a pronounced hispanic accent, and there was a similarly accented female in the background. Unfortunately no caller ID. Pity. The police are coming by today to get a recording.

It absolutely stuns me that someone would actually call a cop and specifically threaten to kill them. Do they expect a call like that to have any effect OTHER than having the whole PD come down on them like a ton of bricks? Sheesh.

Brad

InfidelSerf:
So, I'm assuming that once they hear the recording, that would be probable cause to get a court order to trace the call via the phone company.

Or do you think they will just blow it off?

K Frame:
Most criminals are criminals because they're absolutely box of rocks stupid.

You can see a lot of wild stuff like this on any of the various TV cop shows.

One of my all time favorites is the guy who walks up to the counter at a convenience store, pulls a knife, and announces a robbery.

All while never seeing the uniformed police officer standing at the end of the counter OR noticing the cruiser parked at the front door.

Brad Johnson:
Well, the cops came by and they are dead serious about it. Their genial smiles faded instantly when I played the message.

If they find out who it is the punk-in-question will probably get to do some time in club fed. Apparently, a direct death threat against a cop is a felony.

That brings up another question. I'd like to get a nice, clear, digital recording of the voicemail. Just playing it into the mic of a tape recorder kinda goes against my techno-geek bent. Our phone system uses the same 2.5mm style headset connector that most cell phones use. Do any of you folks know of a connection that has an audio-out jack I can use to patch into the Line In jack in my computer? If I can do that, I can get a direct-to-digital recording that I can save as a .wav or .mp3 file.

Brad

garrettwc:

--- Quote from: Brad Johnson ---That brings up another question. I'd like to get a nice, clear, digital recording of the voicemail. Just playing it into the mic of a tape recorder kinda goes against my techno-geek bent. Our phone system uses the same 2.5mm style headset connector that most cell phones use. Do any of you folks know of a connection that has an audio-out jack I can use to patch into the Line In jack in my computer? If I can do that, I can get a direct-to-digital recording that I can save as a .wav or .mp3 file.

BradRadio shack is your friend. They should have some sort of adapter/connector cable that will let you do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version