Author Topic: Super Bowl Commercials  (Read 507 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Super Bowl Commercials
« on: February 13, 2023, 10:40:09 AM »
Is it just me, or were the Super Bowl commercials this year a lot more, well... boring? There were some attempts at flash and humor, but most just fell flat, at least for me.

The Dunkin commercial with Ben Affleck got a chuckle. The Verizon spot with Bradley Cooper and his mother did, too, though he needed to stop funding her cosmetic procedures long ago. Pop Corner's Breaking Bad tie-in was interesting, but not necessarily entertaining or memorable. Binky Dad was cute enough to merit a smile. Michelob Ultra's Caddyshack callback showed initial promise but belly flopped. Hard. Other than that, none were memorable.

No idea what the halftime show was like. Turned it off after fifteen or twenty seconds of a ginormously pregnant Rihanna trying to be entertaining and failing miserably.

At least the game was entertaining.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Super Bowl Commercials
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:48:19 AM »
Just this year?  Seems to me they stopped being good years ago.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 AM »
Apparently some are having issue(s) with the Jesus, He Gets Us ad

Something tells me Jesus would *not* spend millions of dollars on Super Bowl ads to make fascism look benign

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) February 13, 2023
    With the money the “He Gets Us” people spent on their right-wing Jesus ads, they could permanently house 1,563 people experiencing homelessness.

— Sawyer Hackett (@SawyerHackett) February 13, 2023

AOC leads pack of frothy-mouthed Dems LOSING IT over Jesus Super Bowl ad (here are the dumbest)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/02/13/aoc-leads-pack-of-frothy-mouthed-dems-losing-it-over-jesus-super-bowl-ad-here-are-the-dumbest/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 11:00:41 AM »
Of all the ads, the one for Farmer's Dog dog food was the only one I thought was worth my time.

Sorry, can't find it to include a link.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »
The only one I thought was amusing was the Bennifer one in the first quarter.

Most of the rest were terrible.

I went to bed at halftime, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 11:06:03 AM »
I didn’t even realize the Super Bowl game was going to be yesterday on Friday.  I spent the afternoon doing something much more enjoyable than watching a bunch of overgrown infants toss a ball around.  Finally got my ram slaughtered.  He’s dry aging in the fridge now.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 11:07:36 AM »
I went to bed at halftime, though.

Too bad. You missed a good comeback by the Chiefs.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
Bread and  circuses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
Bread and  circuses.

Beer and nachos, actually.

Brad
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 11:25:28 AM »
I found something else to do besides sit for 4+ hours in front of a TV to see maybe 15 minutes of actual gameplay from two teams I never cared much about - especially since the NFL has been dead to me since they took to binge kneeling a couple of seasons ago.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 11:26:49 AM »
I found something else to do besides sit for 4+ hours in front of a TV to see maybe 15 minutes of actual gameplay from two teams I never cared much about - especially since the NFL has been dead to me since they took to binge kneeling a couple of seasons ago.

Didn't watch but did they all stand for the Black National Anthem?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
Didn't watch but did they all stand for the Black National Anthem?

I missed that.  I turned on just in time for America the Beautiful.  Did they actually called it BNA or just call it by its name, which I can't remember?  I don't have a problem with a few patriotic or patriotic-ish pieces as a warmup before the national anthem.  (God Bless America would be a good one)  Just make sure it's THE national anthem, not A national anthem.

I kinda half-watched the first quarter of the game, then switched to the Puppy Bowl.

ETA:  "Lift Every Voice and Sing"  That's what they called it.  I just watched it on YT.  Sheryl Lee Ralph has quite a set of pipes.  Nothing offensive about it except the hype elsewhere leading up to it.  I couldn't tell if people were standing or not; looked like mostly not.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:36:02 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 12:57:18 PM »
I don't typically watch football, but my daughter decided she wanted to watch the super bowl so we did.  Pretty good game, I thought, although I didn't particularly care who won.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 04:38:20 PM »
I've got my world map out, but I'm having some trouble...

Could someone show me where Black is on the world map?

If there's a "Black National Anthem" there must be a nation called Black, right?

Or does that make me a fascist racist for even asking that question?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 04:41:29 PM »

If there's a "Black National Anthem" there must be a nation called Black, right?

It's east of Africa-America you racist bigot.
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »

Why don't they call it a National Black Anthem?  (word order makes a difference)  Probably not divisive enough.

You're a fascist racist for existing.  Might as well embrace it.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 05:11:55 PM »
Photo goes viral of Kari Lake refusing to stand during Black national anthem before Super Bowl
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/photo-goes-viral-kari-lake-refusing-stand-during-black-national-anthem-super-bowl
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 05:19:10 PM »
Photo goes viral of Kari Lake refusing to stand during Black national anthem before Super Bowl
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/photo-goes-viral-kari-lake-refusing-stand-during-black-national-anthem-super-bowl

Good for her.

My homework assignment for all her hater is for them to find another country in the world that would accept alternative national anthems. In a good number of the countries that black people in the US can trace their ancestors to, you'd be thrown into a rat infested prison for doing so, if not outright shot by the police state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 05:24:01 PM »
Why would we expect someone who's not black to stand for a black national anthem?   ???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:03:33 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2023, 05:25:40 PM »
Why would we expect someone who's not black stand for a black national anthem?   ???

Racist if you do racist if you don't.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2023, 07:21:59 AM »
I wonder if it would be OK to kneel during the BNA?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
I wonder if it would be OK to kneel during the BNA?

I was thinking the same thing. Dumbass hypocrites.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2023, 11:14:17 AM »

My first thought was if there was a black National anthem here in the US, would that be a subversive group?

"Or does that make me a fascist racist for even asking that question?"

I got to this thread after I posted the Hempvana Shooting Ad thread at

https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68026.0

That mighr explain why the ads are so boring.  Anything ballsey gets rejected?

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.