Author Topic: Will Guns Sink Obama in Virginia?  (Read 7912 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Will Guns Sink Obama in Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
All the country folks I talk to would not vote for Obama. Ever. The Washington ComPost poll probably only went to the outer limits of Fairfax County. The Old Dominion is a big state with lots of country folks. Though they sometimes vote for a democrat, Obama is anathema to them in a lot of ways.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
JamisJockey and I saw lots of Obama signs in folks' yards in rural Madison county Sunday.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
JamisJockey and I saw lots of Obama signs in folks' yards in rural Madison county Sunday.

Chris

Shocking number.  I didn't think his ideals of government reliance and gun grabbing would speak to rurual folk.  Must be suckers for hope and change.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
Shocking number.  I didn't think his ideals of government reliance and gun grabbing would speak to rurual folk.  Must be suckers for hope and change.

Free stuff.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »

Chris

those are the comeheres who moved from fairfax or further north

and there are too damn many of em
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
Interestingly, here in my corner of Maine, in a suburb of Portland, there are many more McCain signs than Obama signs.  I'm pleasantly surprised, I thought it would be more liberalified here.  However, I'm sure it doesn't outweigh the huge number of people packed into cities that are voting for Obama.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »
Northern Virginia is full of yuppies with illegal alien housekeepers.  Get real.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
those are the comeheres who moved from fairfax or further north

and there are too damn many of em

Doubtful.  The signs were mostly in front of old mountain homes with old pickups and yards full of misc stuff (tractor implements, tools, old cars, dilapidated sheds, wood piles, etc).  The properties looked just like every 50-100 year old mountain home I've seen all over Appalachia.

Northern Virginia is full of yuppies with illegal alien housekeepers.  Get real.

Madison County is hardly Northern Virginia and this was a very rural, very "country" part of the county.  This area was more like Southwestern Va than Northern Va.  Nice attempt at an insult though.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »

What do you know about Northern Virginia?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Don't care

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
What do you know about Northern Virginia?

I thought everyone knew the distinct, political differences between:
*Northern and Southern Virginia,
*Upstate and downstate New York,
*Austin and the rest of Texas,
*Northern and Southern California, and,
*James Carville and Mary Matalin  =D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:11:48 AM by Don't care »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:30:22 PM »
I've been there.  It's changing, no?  I hope it goes for McCain, but if the people I know there are any example it won't.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:27:10 AM »
Wow.

You've been to Northern Virginia. Congratulations.

Mtnbkr and I have both lived in Northern Virginia (me in Fairfax, he somewhat farther west) for going on 20 years.

Of course Northern Virginia is changing. Everywhere changes all the time.

But what I know FACTUALLY about Northern Virginia is that it's not one huge liberal lockstep as some seem to believe it to be. It's extremely politically diverse. One part of Northern Virginia (Arlington) has consistently elected one of the most liberal Representatives for over a decade, while the greater Fairfax area elected, for a decade, a moderate Republican to Congress.

State wise, the area is even more incredibly diverse. Fairfax elects one of the most liberal democrats possible to the state house, while a few miles west in Loudoun County resides one of the most conservative Republicans.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:22:56 AM »
The Obama signs in the Neck are mostly in front of the kind of old small country houses inhabited by black families who don't have two nickels to rub together. They'll take all the free stuff they can get, and would love doing it from a black president. I don't know that anything will budge them from their beliefs that Obama is their Saviour from The Man. From their point of view, it's about time.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »
'

Well, my housekeepers are legal aliens.  So, there!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
'

Well, my housekeepers are legal aliens.  So, there!

What, your French Maid's outfit no longer fit? :D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »

What, your French Maid's outfit no longer fit? :D

The problem is that it shows when I'm "happy"
JD

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
Far be it from me to argue with "experts."  We'll see what happens. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
"Far be it from me to argue with "experts."  We'll see what happens."

Perhaps, in the future, before you even attempt to argue, you should have at least a minimal knowledge of the subject about which you're attempting to argue.

That way, you'll look significantly less like a fool.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
Far be it from me to argue with "experts."  We'll see what happens. 

We're not experts.  We live here.  That makes us residents.
JD

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
And you're Einstein, Mr Irwin.  Much of northern Virginia' s economy is based on the Federal gov't.  What would you expect the general trend to be in your state?  As I said, the election will reveal where things stand, not my beliefs or yours.

I've listened to ignorant drivel about California for years on these gun forums and just ignored the misinformation and often vicious stereotypes, the smug gloating, the wishful thinking for bad things to happen to California...

Well, folks, you are about to see all of America turn into "California."  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:46:10 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
"Much of northern Virginia' s economy is based on the Federal gov't."

Yes, people work for the Federal Government, and work for companies that do work for the Federal government.

That makes everyone so employed an Obama supporter with an illegal alien housekeeper?

Let's see...

By that logic, I should be an Obama supporter and should have an illegal alien house keeper.

My friends David (Dept. of Interior) and Jennifer (Dept. of Commerce) should be Obama supporters with illegal alien housekeepers.

My friends Jim (contractor) and Kathy (State) whould be Obama supporters with illegal alien housekeepers.

Mtnbkr (contractor) should be an Obama supporter and should have an illegal alien house keeper.

Funny, though...

None of us are Obama supporters, and none of us have illegal alien housekeepers.

Hell, none of us have housekeepers, period.

So, is Northern Virginia GENERALLY currently trending more heavily Democratic for this election cycle?

Yes. But, not all areas of Northern Virginia are trending Democratic, nor have all areas of Northern Virginia supported Democratic candidates.

In the 1980s and into the early 1990s Northern Virginia shifted VERY heavily to the Republican side. It shifted back for Clinton, and started shifting back Republican in 2000.

"I've listened to ignorant drivel about California for years on these gun forums and just ignored the misinformation and often vicious stereotypes, the smug gloating, the wishful thinking for bad things to happen to California..."

So, in other words, your ONLY response is to...

Whinily decry the stereotypes you hear about California by firing back with your own baseless, pathetic stereotypes of Northern Virginia?

[takes off admin hat] That's called hypocrisy, you idiot. [puts admin hat back on]

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
Mike, Mike, Mike...   =D

I said N. Virginia had a lot of yuppies with illegal alien housekeepers.  And you know I am right.  I didn't say ALL or attack Virginians in general.  And if you can calm down enough to read my one sentence carefully you'll realize that.

I don't care what damn hat you wear, you're behaving like a bully and that's unnecessary and unseemly.  By the way, we have plenty of yuppies here with illegal alien housekeepers too.

"Fool?" "Idiot?" Let's keep this civil, sir, like two Virginia gentlemen.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:17:25 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Poper

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:37 PM »
So, in other words, your ONLY response is to...

Whinily decry the stereotypes you hear about California by firing back with your own baseless, pathetic stereotypes of Northern Virginia?

[takes off admin hat] That's called hypocrisy, you idiot. [puts admin hat back on]
One thing you have to appreciate about Mike Irwin:  You always know where you stand with him!   =D

Poper