Author Topic: McCain Supporter shoots sign thief  (Read 2484 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
McCain Supporter shoots sign thief
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:39:27 PM »
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/man-charged-wounding-teen-caught-stealing-mccain-sign/

What are the laws on this? Does the state have a case against him?

I'll refrain from saying that the vandal got what was coming--oops, I did say it didn't I? =D
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: McCain Supporter shoots sign thief
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
"Warning shots" at the vehicle...

Hmm.

I'm okay with him going to jail for that one.  He's already lying.

If you're gonna shoot someone for stealing your campaign sign (and presumably your 1st amendment right), man up and do it, then face the court with your beliefs.  Don't do it and then lie about "warning shots" and having those warning shots strike an occupied vehicle.  You just make principles look ornery and bad, rather than proud.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »
If the facts are as reported, this is a disgrace to gun owners and conservatives alike.

He deserves to have the book thrown at him.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
He should get the same punishment that other people in that area get for similar crimes.  Nothing more.  I don't agree with making examples of gun owners when they screw up. 

I don't like seeing them ignore the theft the teens were doing either. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »
The victim and his cousin admitted stealing signs at the Rowles home and elsewhere, Bishop said Tuesday. Rowles had the only McCain sign on a street with numerous Barack Obama signs, according to Bishop.

He said there was no evidence the thefts were anything more than teen vandalism. No charges were filed against the boys.
So if a perp is hurt, it's a "stay out of jail free" card.

Nice in a way . . . if you're a crook.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
I saw on Drudge recently that some young hooligans pepper sprayed
McCain campaign workers in a hq for the McCain camp...

One would hope that this doesn't turn into a banana republic style fist fest, but it sure looks that way.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
Idiot. Didn't do any favors to gun owners, for sure.

If you want to deal with someone doing this, get a good video camera with night vision, let them be arrested for theft.

lanternlad

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »
"If the facts are as reported, this is a disgrace to gun owners and conservatives alike.

He deserves to have the book thrown at him."

Oh get off your high horse.

If I found someone stealing anything - and I mean ANYTHING from my property, I'd shoot to kill. That is the line I have drawn.
The minute you start trying to break down what is defensible or indefensible about killing someone over, you weaken the pro-gun rights movement at large.
Was the boy on the property illegally? YES
Was he taking something-ANYTHING- from the property that did not belong to him? YES
What he was taking is immaterial.
Those two facts in my book are enough to take his life. The world is really just that black and white. When society get caught up in shades of gray, that is when it starts to fail.
Don't believe me? Just look at Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and a host of others.
Meyer Lansky (Jewish mobster of Murder, Inc - mafia) once had the chance to kill Adolf Hitler when he was an up and coming politician in Germany, but was talked out of it. I bet six million Jews wished he had done it)

A thief who gets away with something once will get bolder and try it again. (I should know, my business was burglarized twice in the past month - never caught who did it, but its the same M.O.) The bolder they get, the bigger crimes they try, leading up to and beyond murder.

I'd would rather have read about this little punk laying in the street with his brains spilled over the road than this pro-Obama politcal drivel the press has wrought. It might make other vandals think twice before trying stupid stuff like that.

If you can not draw a line and stick to it, whoever you are, than put you guns away and take up pottery.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
i hope you live in texas :rolleyes:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »
If I found someone stealing anything - and I mean ANYTHING from my property, I'd shoot to kill. That is the line I have drawn.

If you are actually more than just bluster on this, prepare to lose your right to own firearms and possibly a significant chunk of your life.  This "line" you have drawn could potentially land you in prison for the rest of your life.

Me, I'll keep my guns for sport, recreation, and most importantly, self-defense.  That means "defending the self", not "defending the world on the grounds of a bizarre theory that this kid stealing a paper sign might turn out to be the next Stalin."

Seriously, you need to rethink what you wrote here.  When the next gun ban comes up for debate in your state, do you really want your neighbors thinking of that time when you said you'd shoot to kill if some kid took a political sign from your yard?

Does that strike you as the best way to protect our freedoms?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
Well this can only get ugly, and not politics.

Closed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."