Main Forums > The Roundtable

Real or Artificial Christmas Tree?

<< < (2/15) > >>

WLJ:
Artificial
Got a new fiber optic one on the way, the old pre-lit tree shorted out last year. Rigel I'm looking at you. Hoping fiber optic will be a bit more pet safe.

On a related side note: I'm amazed how many incandescent pre-lit trees are still being sold. Did they make 20 billion of the things and they still haven't clear out the warehouses? I would think 99.9% would be LED by now but it seems like 80-90% of the pre-lit trees at Wallmart are still incandescent

charby:
I prefer a real tree, like a Fraiser fir, but I know my dog would be pissing on it, so we haven't had a real tree since he was a year old (he's now 12). My wife probably has 5 artificial trees in inventory. This year she chose a 1950s aluminum tree with the color wheel. We also have a 5' tall painted wooden candy cane from the 1946 Christmas dance at the original Surf Ballroom (burned down in April 1947) that seems to make it into the living room every year too.

The Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, IA, is where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Bopper preformed their last show on Feb 2, 1959 and died in a plane crash after the show leaving Mason City, IA to the next show.

Fly320s:
Your wife stole a candy cane from the ballroom and that caused the ballroom to burn down and caused a plane crash that killed four people?

I wouldn't want that cursed candy cane in my house.

charby:
Real trees are very environmental. One they it takes 7-20 years to grow a Christmas tree, depending upon the species and desired height, so that ground isn't being disturbed by a plow. This stores carbon. Grass is usually grown between the rows, so there is soil being saved and not lost to wind or water erosion. Real trees provide wildlife habitat while they are growing. Real trees after Christmas can be recycled into fish habbit, goat food, wild life habitat, composed, etc. If it wasn't for my dog, I'd have a real tree and sink the old one every year into my lake.

charby:

--- Quote from: Fly320s on November 30, 2020, 10:25:31 AM ---Your wife stole a candy cane from the ballroom and that caused the ballroom to burn down and caused a plane crash that killed four people?

I wouldn't want that cursed candy cane in my house.

--- End quote ---

She bought it at a antique sale when we moved to town 5 years ago, no theft. Didn't realize it came from the original surf ballroom until I looked on the backside and it had a date, who painted it and where it was to be placed in the original ball room.

Plane crash occurred after a show in the 2nd Surf Ballroom (current one)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version