Main Forums > The Roundtable

Snowbird down

<< < (3/8) > >>

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: BobR on May 18, 2020, 10:51:01 AM ---I was wondering about the ejection seat envelope and the video answered that. From the looks of the video they were in a bad attitude when they initiated the ejection sequence and it kind of shot them into the ground with no chute deployment. As an older trainer type of plane I didn't think they had zero/zero seats but you never know.

bob

--- End quote ---

Plane was upright when they ejected.  Not sure why they rolled it before that.  Maybe trying to point it into a field.

WLJ:

--- Quote from: Fly320s on May 18, 2020, 10:58:41 AM ---  Not sure why they rolled it before that.  Maybe trying to point it into a field.

--- End quote ---

Think they tip stalled

230RN:

BobR:

--- Quote from: Fly320s on May 18, 2020, 10:58:41 AM ---Plane was upright when they ejected.  Not sure why they rolled it before that.  Maybe trying to point it into a field.

--- End quote ---

From what I saw in the video they were upright (possibly > 60 degrees nose down) and the smoke trails from the seat motors were going down at about a 45 degree angle. With the 60/60 seats there may not have been time for a full chute deployment before hitting the ground.. It will make the news when the CAF finishes their investigation. I think the bottom line (or major contributing factor) for the fatality of one and injuries to the other will be ejecting outside the seat envelope. Seldom does an ejection result in a fatality if done inside the seat envelope.

bob

Perd Hapley:
May Captain Casey rest in peace.

--- Quote from: 230RN on May 18, 2020, 11:26:23 AM ---Tragic, but the reporting was a bit annoying in this sense:

It sure would have been nice to find out what a Snowbird was before getting halfway through the RADIO NL  article.  I suspected some kind of aero team (perhaps an elite military team, for example), but no confirmation unil then.

At first glance at the topic heading ("Snowbird down"), I thought it was the NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research --U.S.) weather plane...

--- End quote ---

Sounds more like a joint New York/Florida civil air corps project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version