Author Topic: Obama to Deploy Up to 1,200 National Guard Troops to U.S.-Mexico Border  (Read 11628 times)

longeyes

• friend
Expect the National Guard to be passing out water bottles to the latino travelers.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
US troops won't be used to stop illegal immigration: US

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.0513d49acfc29bc63d3ee39de8bd3b71.dc1&show_article=1

US National Guard troops being sent to the Mexican border will be used to stem the flow of guns and drugs across the frontier and not to enforce US immigration laws, the State Department said Wednesday.
The clarification came after the Mexican government urged Washington not to use the additional troops to go after illegal immigrants.

President Barack Obama on Tuesday authorized the deployment of up to 1,200 additional troops to border areas but State Department spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters, "It's not about immigration."

He said the move was "fully consistent with our efforts to do our part to stem, you know, violence, to interdict the flow of dangerous people and dangerous goods -- drugs, guns, people."

He said the extra troops would be used to free up civilians engaged in support functions so that law enforcement personnel can be increased along the 2,000-mile-long (3,200 kilometer) border.

Nearly 13 million Mexicans live in the United States, more than half of them illegally.

"We have explained the president's announcement to the government of Mexico, and they fully understand the rationale behind it," Crowley said.

Obama's announcement came less than a week after a state visit to Washington by Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who asked for greater US backing for a bloody three-year-old war on drug cartels.

Drug violence has claimed the lives of nearly 23,000 people over the past three years.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
What did I say:

Maybe they can stop all those machine guns bought at gunshows from being smuggled into Mexico 

US National Guard troops being sent to the Mexican border will be used to stem the flow of guns and drugs across the frontier and not to enforce US immigration laws, the State Department said Wednesday.

;/ :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
BYOB> (Bring Your Own Bullets)

Rather idiotic that they didn't issue. Would also seem to be a significant safety hazard. You're on a border, where you have a demonstrated history of cross-border violence, and they want you to sit there with an empty rifle. Yeaaaah.....

If it saves just one O's career by preventing a ND, leaving our boys' asses hanging in the breeze will have been worth it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friend

If Obama federalizes (I said "nationalizes" earlier, my bad) the NG and sends them to the border to "observe" (like Dubya did), doesn't that keep Gov. Brewer from doing anything actually useful with the troops?  I still think that's part of the plan.  [tinfoil]

I could be wrong on this, but I thought when Bush did it, he had the states activate them.  Granted the feds reimbursed the states for the cost, but technically, I believe the Guard was under state control.  I thought they did it that way to circumvent the PCA issues.

Anyone know?

There is case law: Bissonette v. Haig, 800 F.2d 812 (8th Cir. 1986) which found that the military can furnish equipment and advice and not violate PCA, but roadblocks and armed patrols do, because they are regulatory, proscriptive, and compulsory.

But if the Guard stayed under state control, they could do some of those things as PCA doesn't apply.

longeyes

• friend
There are two possibilities here: either the National Guard is just a theatrical prop to make Obama appear he's doing something real about border problems when he isn't and doesn't intend to, or the National Guard will be used actively to quash anti-illegal alien activities under the guise of civil rights protection.  Does anyone here really believe that Obama wants to stop the influx of illegal aliens?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• friend
Now, for a little levity:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NjhiOTc4YmY4NGZjZDIwYzQ5ZWRkZDZkZTQ0MjQwYjM=

The Danged Fence   [Mark Krikorian]

When I first saw McCain's "complete the danged fence" ad, I thought it had to be a joke. So brazen a flip-flop seemed improbable from Mr. Straight-Talk Express — his transparently insincere contortions on immigration during the 2008 campaign suggested it was hard for McCain to engage in Specter-esque lying. After all, he told Vanity Fair just three years ago that, "By the way, I think the fence is least effective. But I'll build the goddamned fence if they want it."

But he apparently is serious. Auster tries to figure out the ad:

Either it is a conscious reference to his 2008 "build the damned fence" comment, in which case the ad is an expression of multi-leveled, post-modern irony, mocking anyone stupid enough to believe McCain's newly re-minted persona as tough-talking border guard; or McCain has no memory of his "build the damned fence" comment and is simply lost in his own lies, in which case the person being inadvertently mocked by the ad is McCain himself.

It's pretty obviously the latter — see Joe Scarborough, John Shadegg, and others unable to contain their laughter after watching the ad. I don't know if there's been a Downfall parody of the ad yet, but there is a Star Wars one.

I don't write the editorials, and I'm a firm believer is letting a hundred flowers bloom and all that, but I disagree with NR's endorsement of McCain in the new issue of the magazine. Sure, a blustering sportscaster wouldn't be the ideal senator, but a body that includes Lindsey Graham, Arlen Specter, Harry Reid, and Al Franken is in no position to say that J. D. Hayworth somehow doesn't measure up. Retiring John McCain — even if his replacement was a cashier from Trader Joe's — would be an important act of lustration. Unfortunately, his likely reelection demonstrates that, while you can't fool all of the people all of the time, you can come close enough for government work.

For your viewing amusement:

Private Pyle John McCain: Born Again Hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7p6g9ndBB8

Complete the danged Death Star Fence!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7p6g9ndBB8
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Desertdog

• friends
Why build a fence?  It is expensive, and many say it won't work. 

Razor wire is a lot cheaper, is fast to lay out, fast to replace, and would stop a lot of illegals.  Probably more than a fence does.

longeyes

• friend
The fence may be "expensive," but it's not as expensive as the estimated $300 billion-plus a year we spend on illegal aliens in America.  Obviously, The Fence is only one element of the problem.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• friend
Why build a fence?  It is expensive, and many say it won't work. 

Razor wire is a lot cheaper, is fast to lay out, fast to replace, and would stop a lot of illegals.  Probably more than a fence does.

The Israeli Gaza fence is pretty darned effective, as is the West Bank fence, where it has been built.

I've done calculations WRT cost per unit length relative to Israeli and American populations and GDP.  Replicating a Gaza-type fence on the southern border is well within our means.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
Cheaper to put one around D.C. first.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friend
Does anyone here really believe that Obama wants to stop the influx of illegal aliens?

No, most people understand it's in his best interests to figure out how to give them amnesty.  But, he and the Democrats aren't alone in not stopping it.  There are some Republicans who don't want to fix the problem either.

• friend

Cheaper to put one around D.C. first.

Are we keeping them in or are we keeping people out?  ???

I'm for keeping them in and cutting off all lines of commo with the city.  They'll just wither away and cause no more harm.  :angel:

freakazoid

• friend
How effective was the Berlin Wall?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Pretty effective. Especially since it was made to keep people IN. Of course that distinction doesn't matter, our fence is just as EVIL.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
you ever look at what their staffing was for border control?  and they had the advatage of controling internal movement in the approaches to the wall
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Wouldn't a fence keep all those assault weapons from being smuggled into Mexico from the USA ?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Wouldn't a fence keep all those assault weapons from being smuggled into Mexico from the USA ?  :P

Bravo.

We're building this fence to save the Mexican people from our evil guns!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
you ever look at what their staffing was for border control?  and they had the advatage of controling internal movement in the approaches to the wall

I've heard that even with all that people were still able to sneak over.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
very very few snuck over the wire  they had remote/auto machineguns and minefields.  there was a sheriffs deputy in fairfax who made it out this guy lived and breathed for the usa. made john wayne look like a communist. he told us a few stories about why he left. they were memorable both in the facts but more so for the level of pain and emotion this very hard man displayed.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friend

The wall itself wasn't all that effective.  The wall just slowed the egress down a tad- it was a barrier to impede movement.  I think they used landmines and armed guards who actually had bullets and shot people.  Both of those were pretty effective.  Note that I'm not suggesting we shoot people or plant landmines, just pointing out why the Berlin wall worked.

oops- posted after the one before this-  What he said.  :lol:

HankB

• friend
When I first heard of 1200 NG going to the border, my thoughts were  A) Are they armed? You know, with functional guns and live ammo? And B) What are their ROEs?

From what I've heard and red, the answers are A) No and  B) Don't do anything useful.

I think longeyes hit the nail on the head with his first premise:

. . . the National Guard is just a theatrical prop to make Obama appear he's doing something real about border problems when he isn't and doesn't intend to . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Desertdog

• friends
But, he and the Democrats aren't alone in not stopping it.  There are some Republicans who don't want to fix the problem either.

We need to get them out of Congress this year, and out of the Senate as they run for reelection.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Sadly, there a bunch of folks in DC who don't want to get involved with anything.

The 1200 sound political, at best, as Barry Obama get's hammered for doing nothing.

I saw him apologizing to Calderone last week about our nasty AZ laws - very embarassing.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
Obama sounded off on the AZ law again today at his much-awaited presser.  He's still singing the same song: I'll give you border security AFTER you give me amnesty (aka comprehensive immigration reform) for illegals.  There is no way he's going to be able to sell that to the majority of Americans, but he's delusional enough to believe that he can push it through anyway.  "Anyway" seems to the anthem of this administration, just as "enough!" is the anthem of the tea party resistance.

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.