Author Topic: France's law banning face covering goes into action  (Read 6932 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
France's law banning face covering goes into action
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/09/23/french-court-fines-women-for-wearing-face-veils/?mod=google_news_blog

I had always heard this as a ban solely on the niqab and burqua, interesting to see it addresses all facial covering in public.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: France's law banning face covering goes into action
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Never did like the French, especially when they banned English words several years ago.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
This'll certainly make Halloween more interesting....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
Meh...

The libertarian in me is disgusted.

The libertarianism-is-not-a-cultural-suicide-pact, and pro-Western Civ side of me is in lukewarm agreement, or maybe just feeling some respect for France showing some sort of balls as taking a stand against islamification. Even if it probably won't do any good.

I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
France: now not entirely different from the grounds of Al-Azhar Mosque?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
what about beards and long hair? Are full-face helmets allowed?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Maybe they're tired of their public streets being co-opted as outdoors mosques?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
I thought that all this hubbub that's rubbing people the wrong way wasn't even really such a huge deal?
Doesn't it affect only a minute percentage of France's population?

I wonder what the french translation for "HURR DURRRRR"  is/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
Only those who use streets.  Not to worry, Islam is your friend.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:05:03 AM »
Only those who use streets.  Not to worry, Islam is your friend.

Just looked it up.  French Interior ministry says this will probably affect about 2,000 women.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
Meh...

The libertarian in me is disgusted.

The libertarianism-is-not-a-cultural-suicide-pact, and pro-Western Civ side of me is in lukewarm agreement, or maybe just feeling some respect for France showing some sort of balls as taking a stand against islamification. Even if it probably won't do any good.

So if some women are being forced/intimidated into wear head gear (but not by the govt), where does libertarianism stand on that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
This isn't about burqas or occupied streets, it's about a liberal culture that is starting to feel mortally endangered by its own folly.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
How does a woman wearing a headscarf endanger liberty???

This law affected everyone in France - they now have their government telling them which displays of religion they can wear on their own bodies.  A burqa ban is no different from banning crosses, Jesus t shirts, or yarmulkes.

The idea that Muslims pose any threat to "western liberty" whatever is a testament to our inability to think rationally whenever race is on the table.  That goes for conservatives as well leftists.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »
It's not about race, it's about unreason.

Muslims pose a threat to liberty when they attain critical mass in a culture and begin imposing their values.  Our concept of individual liberty is antithetical to Islam's basic principles. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:31 PM »
It's not about race, it's about unreason.

Muslims pose a threat to liberty when they attain critical mass in a culture and begin imposing their values.  Our concept of individual liberty is antithetical to Islam's basic principles. 

Who exactly is the "our" in there?  There are no muslim French??? And why would it be ok to impose your values on them, which is what happened here?

Can anyone not see the Orwellian irony in limiting religious freedom under the banner of protecting liberty?

"to preserve religious freedom, we have to ban some religions comrades!"
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
Just looked it up.  French Interior ministry says this will probably affect about 2,000 women.

But Pharma! Tee-vee told me there are millions of burka-clad Muslims set to devour the French Republic!

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/09/23/french-court-fines-women-for-wearing-face-veils/?mod=google_news_blog

I had always heard this as a ban solely on the niqab and burqua, interesting to see it addresses all facial covering in public.

Which seems to somewhat counter the religious freedom issues. I kinda wonder how cold it gets in France, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »

But Pharma! Tee-vee told me there are millions of burka-clad Muslims set to devour the French Republic!

Everyone knows that if they bite you you become infected!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
Who exactly is the "our" in there?  There are no muslim French??? And why would it be ok to impose your values on them, which is what happened here?

Can anyone not see the Orwellian irony in limiting religious freedom under the banner of protecting liberty?

"to preserve religious freedom, we have to ban some religions comrades!"

Because their "freedom" necessitates your lack of freedom.  As if you didn't already know.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
Because their "freedom" necessitates your lack of freedom.  As if you didn't already know.

Seems to me this law, while targeting eeevul muslims, actually detracts from everyone's freedom.  Just because you don't wear a regulated headcovering doesn't mean you might not want to in the future.  Just like even though I don't currently own a suppressor doesn't mean the suppressor laws don't affect me negatively.

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »
As I said...it's not about burqas or blocked streets, those are just the outward signs of the inner national anxiety.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
As I said...it's not about burqas or blocked streets, those are just the outward signs of the inner national anxiety.

This might very well be true, I know next to nothing about France's internal issues. (Didn't we have a french guy on here?)

But I will point out that historically "National Anxiety" almost never leads to good laws, or liberty.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
Of course, I mean France's (national anxiety), not ours.

You're right.  Anything springing from fear or anxiety or ignorance or evil intent is likely to produce bad social consequences.  My point is that the French have taken romanticism, confusion, and guilt and suffused it into immigration policies that are now eating away at the very heart of their society and culture.  What does it mean to be French?  This is what more and more French are asking, although they may well be asking it a bit too late.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

Actually I believe the point is to prevent the further radicalization of the millions of Muslim immigrants. Considering that France still remembers the invasion of Europe during Islam's expansion it's rather understandable...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »

I must have skipped the part where Muslims were a monolithical cultural block with the only difference between radical muslims and regular muslims being one of degree during my History of Islam class.