Author Topic: Chicago Teachers Hit The Streets  (Read 5916 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Chicago Teachers Hit The Streets
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
As a fed.gov I'm on board with this.

But just to play devil's advocate for a sec.

An employee of a private sector buisness that feels they are doing awesome work and deserve a raise often can go to their manager, or one manager farther up the chain.  My wife's manager at the hospital has the athority to decide her peoples raises with a cap given as max amount for the best person.  A good friend is a project lead at Jabil Circut and tells me that he has athority over his peoples pay within his project's budget.

If a .gov employee wants a raise*, they need to go to congress.  that's much harder to do as an individual.

*DOD actually has a cash bonus for awesome work program, but even it takes a two-star signature.  Not very approachable.

Only FEDERAL public sector employees have to go to Congress for a raise.

Also having unions negotiate with individuals for whom they are a major contributor (or employed by same) is simply insane. How does it look when a legislator gives a massive new contract to a private sector business that also gives him significant contributions?

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
Re: Chicago Teachers Hit The Streets
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »
Well, yes, it's corrupt as hell. I didn't say I had a good answer for it.

Honestly, I like my gig as a fed.gov employee. I make a bit less cash then I would doing the same thing in the local private sector, but I gain an employer that doesn't give me a hassle about Army Reserve missions and deployments. But there are places in the fed.gov where good employees get shafted vs. Private sector and as a result we get substandard workers. Not saying unions are the answer. In fact they are almost certainly not.

More just musing out loud.