Author Topic: Evangelicals are not happy with the GOP  (Read 7436 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Evangelicals are not happy with the GOP
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Which GOP constituencies are happy with them?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Yeah, next thing you know the government will legalize dancing   :O

Kim Vantrease, a writer, said she does not believe the Republican Party will address her main worries - the “moral decline” at home and “the whole world being on fire.”

1) So you want the government to regulate the morals in your home?  SWAT team to see if you are praying before meals ...?   :police:

2) Mostly the world is on fire because the us.gov under both Dempublicans and Republocrats has set and continues to set it on fire  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Which GOP constituencies are happy with them?

Only about 40% according to the article.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
Only about 40% according to the article.

The only 40% stat I see in the article is the 40% of Republicans that are socially conservative. And the whole article is about social conservatives being "not happy."

???

This so-con evangelical doesn't see a particular problem with voting for Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, etc. Also ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
I was not aware that evangelicals were happy with ANYONE in government ... ... :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
I'm not an evangelical, and I'm not happy with the GOP either.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:30 PM »

The only 40% stat I see in the article is the 40% of Republicans that are socially conservative. And the whole article is about social conservatives being "not happy."

???

This so-con evangelical doesn't see a particular problem with voting for Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, etc. Also ???

I misread the question.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
I'm not an evangelical, and I'm not happy with the GOP either.

So, what's an "evangelical"?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
I was not aware that evangelicals were happy with ANYONE in government ... ... :angel:

I thought the driving force behind evangelicals was the idea that other people might be happy and it was their god given duty to correct that.

:P
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
I thought the driving force behind evangelicals was the idea that other people might be happy and it was their god given duty to correct that.

:P

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.........
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.........

But pretty accurate.  They do want you to be happy, as long as your definition of happiness is sitting around singing praise songs.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
But pretty accurate.  They do want you to be happy, as long as your definition of happiness is sitting around singing praise songs:lol:

"Praise choruses"   <shudder>

(This is better.  Trust me.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
But pretty accurate.  They do want you to be happy, as long as your definition of happiness is sitting around singing praise songs.  :lol:

Why do you take two Baptists fishing with you?

Cause if you take one he will drink all the beer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »

Evangelists do a LOT more than sit.... STAND!, they STAND when they sing! ....  around and sing "praise" songs. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »
It is a good thing none of our Air Force vets are evangelicals.  :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »
Yeah, next thing you know the government will legalize dancing   :O

1) So you want the government to regulate the morals in your home?  SWAT team to see if you are praying before meals ...?   :police:

2) Mostly the world is on fire because the us.gov under both Dempublicans and Republocrats has set and continues to set it on fire  :mad:
Not everyone who sees a moral decline wants to legislate it.  Some just want the Govt to stop encouraging it.  There are a LOT of evangelicals in this country.  Most of them don't want a theocracy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
Not everyone who sees a moral decline wants to legislate it.  Some just want the Govt to stop encouraging it.  There are a LOT of evangelicals in this country.  Most of them don't want a theocracy. 

If that message came out, the evangelicals would carry a lot more water on both political spectrums.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Evangelicals are not happy with the GOP
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »
If that message came out, the evangelicals would carry a lot more water on both political spectrums.
Not so much.  The left and the media and the christian haters need their emanuel goldstein.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
Who is going to say it?  It is worse than the Tea Party as far as no national groups representing everyone.  The only national groups you ever hear from are the anti-abortion crowd and some politicians grand standing about gay marriage.  IMO, that is only a fraction of evangelical Christians.  I guess it also depends on how you defeine "Evangelical Christians".

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Of all the possible picks for spokesperson for evangelicals, they came up with

...Geraci, the founding pastor of Calvary South Denver, a sprawling evangelical church with several thousand congregants....

Call me back when you get the head of one of those super-churches that pack 6 figures through their multiple seatings (only because the damned NFL insists on using those stadiums (yes I know it should be stadia) on Sundays).  And that's not counting the folks that are glued to the simulcast.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
It is a good thing none of our Air Force vets are evangelicals.  :lol:

Preach on! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »
Having been on the inside, I would disagree with that, and so does the OP article.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Having been on the inside, I would disagree with that, and so does the OP article.

You've been on the inside of most evangelical churches in America? That's impressive.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
You've been on the inside of most evangelical churches in America? That's impressive.

Where did I ever say that  ???