Author Topic: Bowflex PR1000  (Read 2888 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bowflex PR1000
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »
Anyone familiar with it? It's the smaller Bowflex. I need to start adding some strength training into my diet regime and I simply don't have the time or energy to get to the rec center near my house.

This model is small enough that I can easily get it into the basement and it won't take up too much room.

I really like the action on the bowflex, too, more so than the action on a steel plate type gym.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Bowflex PR1000
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:53:26 AM »
I would be curious what you think.  I was considering the Total Gym setup once I get a room in my house cleared out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
I used to have a pretty fancy home gym thing, it made a great clothes hanger. My fancy treadmill sure did take up a lot of room but a power surge killed the motherboard so I was able to free up that space also. Now we just go to the gym every other night, all the machines, weights, treadmills we want. :)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »
I'm not a super big fan of the bowflex type machines.  I don't feel that these machines encourage a fully natural motion, and they're not always smooth through the range of motion.
A simple bench and dumbbells can net the same variety of exercises, while the instability of working dumbbell exercises forces the little stabilizing muscles around each muscle group to work and strengthen, is easier to expand upon, and is generally cheaper.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
So, one "I hope you get one and give me a review!" non answer response and one that's not even remotely close to answering what I asked.

God I love this place!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, as I said, between getting up so early, commuting, wrangling Seren, etc., I just don't see myself getting to the rec center on a regular basis. In order to do so I'd have to really cut down on the time I'm spending walking with her and that's something I'm not willing to do as we are both enjoying that way too much.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
Whereas I really like the workout I've gotten from the few bowflexes I've used.

Dumbbells are great for upper body. Not so great for lower body unless you get some more specialized equipment. As I said, one of the things I like about the Bowflex is that it packs a disparate number of exercises into a small footprint. I'm not looking at turning my basement into a gym.

I want something that will be competent and small.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
Off topic, but would a TRX or other suspension system meet your needs?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
Yeah, no. Not right now. Maybe later, but I know two people who hurt themselves by trying to get into suspension training before they were ready physically -- both knee injuries.

That may be something for later.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
I'd go with what Jamis said... dumbells will make everything strong and isn't going to cause imbalances.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
I had a Bow Flex several years ago.  I used it every day and did not adjust it for too much resistance (which you can do) because you can hurt yourself if you get too aggressive too soon.  I had the booklet that suggested certain workouts for certain things.  I will say that my energy level increased a bit.  I was probably your age at that time, maybe a bit older.

I found that I continued to be sore even after a couple months.  I repeat that I didn't use heavy resistance.  I was puzzled about that and laid it off as just me being older.  After a few months, my lower back started to bother me.  I suspected it had to do with the machine even though I was following the book.  My machine had the ability to work the lower body as well as the upper body.  So I stopped using the Bow Flex and my back problems disappeared.

Now I'm not saying Bow Flex is risky, but if you have any back problems, I'd be a bit conservative in whether to get one.

I now have a Marcey recumbent stationary bike.  Mine just works from the hips down.  You can get one that also has the gizmos that you can use for upper body conditioning as well as the bike part.  You can set resistance on most of them.  Marcey has a magnetic system and I'd say that's better than belts and pulleys.  My back is not bothering me at all but a get a good 20 minute ride at around 15-17 mph and between 4 and 5 miles per the little computer.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
Have you considered bodyweight exercises before going to the bowflex? A good bodyweight regime will work many muscles. Also many yoga exercises will stress a lot of muscles.

When you're body is ready for it, I will second Millcreek's suggestion. Suspension straps have been one of the best workout regimes (for me) that I have done. While bodybuilders will tell you they are not good for building muscle (and they are right for building lots of mass), they absolutely build endurance muscles.

Also, they can be quite safe even if you're out of shape as long as you use the correct angles. My 91 year old dad even uses them, but from a very upright position. They actually help him with knee bends because they give him some support on the way back up. Once you're in shape to really utilize them, they are great for core and balance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
Whereas I really like the workout I've gotten from the few bowflexes I've used.

Dumbbells are great for upper body. Not so great for lower body unless you get some more specialized equipment. As I said, one of the things I like about the Bowflex is that it packs a disparate number of exercises into a small footprint. I'm not looking at turning my basement into a gym.

I want something that will be competent and small.

While I think for the needs you've specified the bowflex probably is your best bet per our earlier discussion...footprint and parts is your biggest benefit I think with the flex.

There are a number of easy dumbbell movements for lower body that are fantastic for all the stabilizing muscles in the core and build up strong hip flexors, glutes, calves, even down to the muscles in the feet. 
I use core workouts that are lighter in weight by a 10x reduction over what I can do on say the leg press.  280 is easy on leg press.  One legged reverse lunges? 20lb weight on the off-side forces my body to stabilize through the movement.  This has benefited my cycling by giving me more stability in the core and creating less soreness (outside of my legs) and fatigue.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
Eugen Sandow method.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
Good thoughts on dumbells and such.  Cheaper way to get started at the least. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »
Good thoughts on dumbells and such.  Cheaper way to get started at the least. 

I've moved away from a lot of barbell exercises because they're too isolating.  About the only true isolation I do anymore is preacher curls.
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
I've not had a Bowflex, but I have had that type of machine (same basic thing, different brand).

I hated it. I'd much more encourage dumbbells and perhaps a bench. From there you can do a lot of different exercises.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
OK, I'm not looking at dumbells/barbells.

Part of the consideration of this unit is that it is a unit, not a bunch of pieces and parts that will end up being strewn all over my basement.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »
OK, I'm not looking at dumbells/barbells.

Part of the consideration of this unit is that it is a unit, not a bunch of pieces and parts that will end up being strewn all over my basement.

Yep.  Thread veer in your thread though.   :lol:

Hey per our earlier conversation, you might have to hunt for videos on workouts with the bowflex. My initial search revealed I'd need to do some digging to find you some good ones.
Does the new unit if you go new come with a video or book with workouts?
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
"Yep.  Thread veer in your thread though."

As if it's any different from any other thread at APS -- drunken 3 stoodges behind the wheel of an out of control car. And that's on a GOOD day.

And this isn't a good day.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
The short guy just brought up something that made me think new vs. used. You can get some great deals on Craigslist on used (barely) dusty Bowflex machines. I don't know if you are going new or used but I just thought I would throw that out there because I have nothing else useful for this thread. ;)

bob

Here is an example in my sleepy little town:  https://spokane.craigslist.org/spo/d/bowflex-xtreme-complete/6648669360.html

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »
The problem with The Irwin at times is he asks for advice and he gets it and ignores it. :old: :rofl: :rofl: [popcorn]

I owned the exact unit The Irwin describes.  I gave my observations about it.  Apparently he ignored it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »
The “Thigh-master” would take up even less room.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »
Trust me. I didnt ignore it. It is making me think a lot more than some of the random 'lift sacks of kittens' comments from the other ass hats...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
Trust me. I didnt ignore it. It is making me think a lot more than some of the random 'lift sacks of kittens' comments from the other ass hats...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
You can say that again!
"It's good, though..."