Author Topic: Muscle building question for a 68 year old  (Read 593 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Muscle building question for a 68 year old
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Backstory is kind of important here.

I retired a little over a year ago, and I was in fine shape then.  Shortly after that, I got a severe pain in my right wrist, enough to keep me awake at night.  The night pain went away after a couple of weeks, but I couldn't as much as pick a water bottle up without the pain bringing me to my knees.  I procrastinated until last fall when I went to the doctor and got a cortisone shot and some therapy.  That helped.  Arthritis was the diagnosis.

By this spring, my muscles had atrophied to the point where even the slightest bit of activity led to days of pain.  I worked through that, and then grabbed a shotgun to make a snap shot at a rock squirrel off the porch.  Shotgun came up wrong.  With no bicep, I sustained a deep bone bruise in my right arm.  A couple weeks after that, I woke up with my right leg aching.  By noon, I couldn't walk.  An X-ray showed osteoarthritis, so I started using glucosamine, which helped a lot.  Still limping some but it's bearable.

I think if I got my muscles built back up, it would help me get past the pain.  So, the question is, what would the hive mind suggest to build my muscles back up to where I can at least push a weed mower around or turn wrenches on my tractor?  I'm not quite ready to give up yet, and sitting around watching TV is driving me crazy.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Muscle building question for a 68 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
Any weight bearing exercise, even walking, will help to combat the effects of osteoarthritis. I know I feel a lot better after hitting the gym on a regular basis and walking the treadmill and them machines. SZtart low and slow and build up, don't overdo it and just keep going is about all I have to offer.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »
An object at rest tends to remain at rest. Walking and push-ups are free.

While not everyone's solution a prescription NSAID might help. When I started having arthritis problems at the tender age of 48 I was prescribed Mobic(meloxicam).
First on an "as needed" basis then later as a daily. I didn't fully realize how much difference it made till I had to go off of it prior to my hip replacement (brought to me by way of osteoarthritis). I checked with my doctor and started up again about a month ago. I had gotten so stiff driving was becoming a problem. a few days back on the meloxicam it was no longer an issue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »
It's not as simple as osteoarthritis or muscle mass.
It's both. The best thing for OA is movement and activity.
The only way to build muscle mass is with weight/resistance.
That's why I swim MWF and do weights TThSat.
I'm 60 with a strong family hx of osteoarthritis. Had my trashed out knee replaced and reconstructed 1.5 years ago. I have compression fractures and degenerative disk disease of the lumbar spine. If I sit too much I'm like the tin man. If I keep moving I'm not so bad.
Research has shown X-ray has a poor correlation to symptoms. A person full of arthritis but active will often be much more functional than someone sedentary with minimal degeneration.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:22 PM »
Larry, if you want to work upper and lower I'd suggest a recumbent stationary bike that also has the levers so you can work your upper body.  Back story:  I've had some therapy from a guy who's a PhD in the therapy business for a neck problem that he discovered was actually due to a muscle problem from an injury when I was young around my shoulder blade that affects my neck, and for a recent Plantars Faciitis problem.  He recommended the recumbent bike for exercise for me because there is no stress on the lower back as the hip and leg motion is more horizontal and better than the upright position.  I've found the guy to really know what he's talking about.  Some units have the levers for exercising the arms and shoulders and upper body, though I don't have one like that.  Resistance can be variable.  Most of them have computers that can monitor speed, distance, time, calories burned, etc etc.  Mine does just what I want, which is to build up cardio and loosen muscles in my lower body, mostly to help with the Plantars.

You might want to ask your doc who could recommend a therapist that he might think would be helpful for you at first and then get some professional advice as to a proper machine.  I'd bet your insurance would cover a few sessions.  The value in that is learning some stuff you can do on your own.  I've had the recumbent now for a month and I'm doing 20 minutes at between 15-17 mph which relates to around 5+ miles.  I started at 10 minutes at 12-15 mph and 2.5 miles.
I work up a good sweat and my endurance and wind is much better.  My Plantars pain is basically gone.  I have about 5 minutes of other stretches for that too.  The bike was the best help I think.  Since my back and neck problems preclude much of any upper body stuff, I'm content.

There are a lot of recumbent bikes on the market so I'd ask for advice from a therapist.   I was lucky my son got a new in the box from an estate sale for $40.00.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:36:57 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
It's not as simple as osteoarthritis or muscle mass.
It's both. The best thing for OA is movement and activity.
The only way to build muscle mass is with weight/resistance.
That's why I swim MWF and do weights TThSat.
I'm 60 with a strong family hx of osteoarthritis. Had my trashed out knee replaced and reconstructed 1.5 years ago. I have compression fractures and degenerative disk disease of the lumbar spine. If I sit too much I'm like the tin man. If I keep moving I'm not so bad.
Research has shown X-ray has a poor correlation to symptoms. A person full of arthritis but active will often be much more functional than someone sedentary with minimal degeneration.
Pondering, after I posted this:

I always thought my job was pretty easy, but thinking about it, I regularly got shipments of plaques and bases, 20-30 lbs each, and carried them, stocked them, and then got them off the shelf, assembled them, boxed them and the carried them out for the customer to pick up.  THAT'S what I'm missing!  Regular activity.  It became too easy after I retired to sit around and watch others do the the moving.  Light bulb on!

I haven't ridden my Harley for a year, because I haven't had the strength.  I really miss that.  And I'm working back towards it.

Grampster, thanks for the input.  I'll be talking to my doctor about it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
My two cents
1) you're probably not eating enough protein. Quality protein, from either lean meats, eggs, or good clean protein supplements. Consider finding a nutritionist that specializes in "mature" adults.
2) def see the doctor about the osteo problems.  If he recommends supplements, don't buy walmart garbage.  Get the highest quality ones you can.  Parma grade if you can find it, or inbox me I'll point you to the IDLife assessment for your vitamins.
3) you need muscle building cardio and weights.  Kingcreek's workout regimine is about what I'd suggest.  Consider a personal trainer who specializes in "mature" adults.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:36 PM »
Jamis makes an excellent point about protein. We have to not only eat it but digest it. Some people on acid blocking drugs don't digest protein well. Eggs are among the easiest to digest. A protein deficiency will usually evidence with poor hair quality and weak chippy nails.
Also brings to mind the muscle  problems associated with cholesterol lowering drugs in some people.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
If he recommends supplements, don't buy walmart garbage.  Get the highest quality ones you can.
I'm doing that.  The friend who recommended glucosamine told me to go to the health food store and buy what they have.  60 pills cost $25.50.  And, I don't buy anything at WalMart, except maybe ammo.

The eggs is a good suggestion.  We have chickens, I just don't think about having eggs for breakfast.  Red meat, yes.  We just bought three steers that are aging right now.  (We have to sell at least one, we don't have freezer space for 1300 lbs of beef.)  I also love cottage cheese as a side dish, but rarely have it.  I could step that up easily.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »
+2 on the protein.

I saved an article at home somewhere about how much extra protein older males need to help retain muscle, or even just slow down loss. I forget the number, but it was surprising to me. Besides the meat and egg sources, I'm back on the protein powder. On my steak and egg breakfast days, I have a protein shake for my late afternoon (and last) meal. On light breakfast days, I have the protein shake (protein powder, banana, blueberries, honey, water, for breakfast and the last meal. I always have a protein with lunch, my (usually) largest meal of the day.

On the exercise, I'll say the same thing I said in Mike's thread - if you really have lost a lot of muscle, start with bodyweight exercises first. Maybe add the elastic straps that Harry Reid put his eye out with for some easy resistance. Work weights or whatever in if you want after you've built your muscle back up a little bit. Better to go slow than to hurt yourself with too much weight too soon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
For inflammation and arthritis, turmeric has value and is pretty safe - it's been used for centuries as a spice, and today hundreds of millions of people use it as a seasoning. It's probably easier on your system than nsaids. Turmeric contains curcumin, a powerful natural anti-inflammatory. It's best taken with a little pepper, which helps absorption. Up to about 1 level teaspoon a day from the spice rack at your grocery store ought to be OK - that's what I take, mixing it into a protein shake. (Helps kill the taste.) Some "concentrated" forms of it (usually capsules) are on the market, but I'm a little leery of taking megadoses of anything. 

There's a LOT of good information on the web about the benefits of turmeric, and I personally see definite benefits, but I regard the really extravagant claims from Dr. Google with a skeptical eye. (I don't think it cures cancer, diabetes, strabismus, ingrown toenails, or a host of other maladies.)

With other health issues, I'd bounce the idea off your doctor before starting a turmeric program.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain