Author Topic: Requires Hate: Background identity politics war in Sci-Fi  (Read 2362 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Requires Hate: Background identity politics war in Sci-Fi
« on: August 18, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
https://quillette.com/2018/08/18/the-forgotten-story-of-how-punching-up-harmed-the-science-fiction-fantasy-world/

Remembering reading some of the Sad Puppy by blows, it's nice to see a literary identity politics terrorist Social Justice Warrior have some exposure for the hate filled trolling so severe is seems more like a cartoonish morality tale for it's unapologetic villainy.

Harrasing folks out of public works and conversation, seeming end goal to suicide, should really garner more than a splash of backlash. Let's not celebrate the deplorable.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Requires Hate: Background identity politics war in Sci-Fi
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
I hate how the social justice crowd have taken over fandom. It's almost scary
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
I hate how the social justice crowd have taken over fandom. It's almost scary

I hate how the social justice crowd has taken over everything. You can't walk out your front door without offending someone. Retards.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
That was really interesting and I learned a lot.  Thanks for posting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »
The only piece of Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've read since Anne McCaffrey's death (other than two more books in her Pern series, written by her son and which I hated) is one recently offered up by one of our own.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:06:13 AM by Ben »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Yeah, the SJW crowd seems to think that this is a toothless world where offense should never be offered or received.

They can only get away with this nonsense because they live in a western nation where freedom of speech is basically guaranteed (which is ironic, considering their goals and operating methods,) - This crap won't fly in more repressive cultures but they're too blind/ignorant/deluded to understand that.

Their only saving grace is the fact that they're biodegradable.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »
I keep remembering the whole "If we were as violent as you say, you would already be dead" thing.

One day, they are gonna massively fail in their victim selection process. And things are gonna blow sky high
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
I keep remembering the whole "If we were as violent as you say, you would already be dead" thing.

One day, they are gonna massively fail in their victim selection process. And things are gonna blow sky high
I get the impression the public in general ignores it or agrees that it is a bunch of BS, but the media and govt and general culture are lagging behind.  Maybe it is just my perception. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »

I still can't quite decide if it is a good thing or a bad thing that we don't see more "killdozer" level events.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
I am still looking forward to that big asteroid strike.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
The only piece of Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've read since Anne McCaffrey's death (other than two more books in her Pern series, written by her son and which I hated) is one recently offered up by one of our own.

I've got no dog in this hunt.  I just want to write stories about talking cats and mounting GAU-8 Avengers on spacecraft.

I never put too much thought into the race of my human characters.  Only two main characters have their ethnicity mentioned at all (best I can recall).  My namesake, Kyrie Devonai, and Chance Richter, are of Jewish and German descent, respectively.  Few have blatantly ethnic surnames, though one can certainly derive their ethnicity though Wikipedia entries if one was so inclined.  There are also aliens in my fourth book that have Japanese names, though this is explained in the narrative.

When it comes to sexual preference, when it is relevant to the story, my characters are all heterosexual or "cisgendered," as far as they identify themselves as their birth gender.  If it's not relevant to the story, it's not mentioned at all.  I have not, nor will I ever, include a LGBTQ character just for the sake of "virtue signaling."  If I do, it's because it's relevant to the story.  Heck, I'm writing science fiction adventure, not romance; if certain characters are hot for each other than it's either relevant to the plot or to explain the driving motivations behind them.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »

When it comes to sexual preference, when it is relevant to the story, my characters are all heterosexual or "cisgendered," as far as they identify themselves as their birth gender.  If it's not relevant to the story, it's not mentioned at all.  I have not, nor will I ever, include a LGBTQ character just for the sake of "virtue signaling."  If I do, it's because it's relevant to the story.  Heck, I'm writing science fiction adventure, not romance; if certain characters are hot for each other than it's either relevant to the plot or to explain the driving motivations behind them.

That's where, for me, Todd McCaffrey completely ruined the Pern series. The first two books he did completely on his own, after his mother's death, had blatantly homosexual (lesbian) protagonists, and the fact is that it was completely unnecessary to make that part of the story line. The stories would have been the same if the main character(s) were heterosexual, and leaving all the LGBTXYZ&^% garbage out of it would have allowed the books to be shorter and the story lines a lot tighter. As it is, those two books were, at the time, by far the longest in the entire series. I don't know if Todd has written more since those. I gave up. I have an entire bookshelf devoted just to the Pern novels ... and those two books aren't on it. It used to be that whenever I went to a Barnes & Noble, my first stop was the Sci-Fi aisle to see if Anne McCaffrey had a new book out. Since Todd took over the series, I no longer care.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »

I never put too much thought into the race of my human characters.  Only two main characters have their ethnicity mentioned at all (best I can recall).  My namesake, Kyrie Devonai, and Chance Richter, are of Jewish and German descent, respectively.  Few have blatantly ethnic surnames, though one can certainly derive their ethnicity though Wikipedia entries if one was so inclined.  There are also aliens in my fourth book that have Japanese names, though this is explained in the narrative.

So you're telling me that you've got an entire planet with cities named Edinburgh and such, and characters with names like Siobhan, but we're not supposed to think they're of Scottish ethnicity? And that was totally by accident, you didn't give it any thought?  >:D

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
 :facepalm:

:P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »

I really appreciate that. I guess I'll come off as a gayzor bigot, but I am sick to death of reading books or, especially, watching TV, and just having gay sex thrown in my face for no plot reason, just so that the book/show can say, "Look how pro-gay we are!" This has been happening a lot in the last couple of years, to the point one might think it's political manipulation.

I have found Netflix original series to be the worst in this regard. Some show that has nothing to do with romance will need to, in the first 15 minutes, show a couple of naked guys going at it, while any hetro romances are only alluded to if they are mentioned at all. I don't care if there is a gay couple, but why do you have to throw their lovemaking in my face for no reason at all? Especially when it is completely unrelatable to anything in the show or to any other relationships in the show? With some of them, it's like, here we have a serious space battle going on, with millions of lives in the balance, and then, "Oh, by the way, here's a clip of couple of guys humping each other, and now, back to our story."

If you want to throw gay couples in the mix with hetero couples, fine, but treat them all equally. The way some media does it now, you would think that 95% of the planet is overtly homosexual, and hetero relationships don't exist at all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
If you want to throw gay couples in the mix with hetero couples, fine, but treat them all equally. The way some media does it now, you would think that 95% of the planet is overtly homosexual, and hetero relationships don't exist at all.

I figured out from watching the first season and a half of Torchwood (that's as far as I got) that *everybody* in Britain is gay.  A few of them don't realize it yet, but they'll catch up eventually.  Perhaps that's just Wales (the show is set in Cardiff) but it seems like it's the whole empire.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
I was going to mention Torchwood, it was the first time I really noticed the "in your face" attitude about it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »
I've been a major science-fiction fan since I began reading, but I don't go to sci-fi conventions (I think they'r silly) or dress up like Darth Vader, not even at Halloween.

But my reaction after reading the link in the OP was . . . "Who the bleep are these people?"   ???

The impotent rants of some obscure keyboard commando are irrelevant to me . . . and lie somewhere in the realm between "pathetic" and "funny."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
I figured out from watching the first season and a half of Torchwood (that's as far as I got) that *everybody* in Britain is gay.  A few of them don't realize it yet, but they'll catch up eventually.  Perhaps that's just Wales (the show is set in Cardiff) but it seems like it's the whole empire.

The really impressive part is how Dr Who was able to travel all over space and time for half a century without encountering so much as a bisexual or a mixed couple, then all of a sudden everybody, everywhere and everywhen is LGBTQEIEIO and/or in a mixed-race relationship.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
I've been a major science-fiction fan since I began reading, but I don't go to sci-fi conventions (I think they'r silly) or dress up like Darth Vader, not even at Halloween.

For the most part I just stick with authors that are already dead, or intentionally controversial enough that something like this would just be more fuel to their creative fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
I don't sci-fi at all beyond Star Wars or that crappy one season show but boy I love to tune into a good Correia Facebook mess, just to watch the heads explode.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
  Our moral code may have been a bit tougher when I was younger as far as the overtness of plastering overt sexualness everywhere.  That didn't seem to stop any sexual behavior.  It just wasn't in your face.  There were a couple girls in my graduating class who were pregnant for example.  I guess what bothers me is the blinding need of the entertainment/mass media industry to virtue signal every aspect of human sexuality in a way that is in your face and demanding that we accept that behavior and embrace it.

Being engaged in living in the present and comparing it to other times I have lived through, I'd take the 50's and early 60's.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 01:31:46 AM »
I really appreciate that. I guess I'll come off as a gayzor bigot, but I am sick to death of reading books or, especially, watching TV, and just having gay sex thrown in my face for no plot reason, just so that the book/show can say, "Look how pro-gay we are!" This has been happening a lot in the last couple of years, to the point one might think it's political manipulation.

I have found Netflix original series to be the worst in this regard. Some show that has nothing to do with romance will need to, in the first 15 minutes, show a couple of naked guys going at it, while any hetro romances are only alluded to if they are mentioned at all. I don't care if there is a gay couple, but why do you have to throw their lovemaking in my face for no reason at all? Especially when it is completely unrelatable to anything in the show or to any other relationships in the show? With some of them, it's like, here we have a serious space battle going on, with millions of lives in the balance, and then, "Oh, by the way, here's a clip of couple of guys humping each other, and now, back to our story."

Or when some strong woman that is a leader of a group in a sort of post-apocalyptic story comes across another group with a strong woman leader and they both all of a sudden turn out to be lesbians. *The cough 100 cough*
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 02:03:00 AM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.