Author Topic: Let's Change Math Classes So They Honor 'Other-Than-Human Persons'  (Read 898 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
https://www.westernjournal.com/professor-change-math-classes-honor-human-persons/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=PositivelyRepublican&utm_campaign=prp&utm_content=2018-08-20

That has to be the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard.  At no point in your rambling, incoherent response did you come close to a rational point.  Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to what you just said.  I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

And she got NSF grant money.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Let's Change Math Classes So They Honor 'Other-Than-Human Persons'
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
This makes my head hurt....

“historically looted” instead of “low income.”

Are we looting tax payers to give monetary assistance to the "historically looted" and when do the "presently looted" make the transition to "historically looted" because of that practice? I think I need to send an email, I am full of questions.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
“The relationship between humans, mathematics, and the planet has been one steeped too long in domination and destruction,” Gutierrez says in her presentation’s description. “I argue for a movement against objects, truths, and knowledge towards a way of being in the world that is guided by first principles — mathematx.”

“This shift from thinking of mathematics as a noun to mathematx as a verb holds potential for honouring our connections with each other as human and other-than-human persons, for balancing problem solving with joy, and for maintaining critical bifocality at the local and global level.”

Look, Lady ... I just want to know if I add two plus two, what's the answer?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »

Black.Latin@looted.nsf
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
Gutierrez focuses on the effects that class, race and language have on learning. Her University of Illinois faculty profile claims that teachers must possess not only “content knowledge,” but also “political knowledge,” according to her research.

The professor received grants from the National Science Foundation and the Bureau of Educational Research to incorporate diversity into math education. She has encouraged the use of what she calls “creative insubordination” by teachers in the classroom.

“With funding from the National Science Foundation, I have worked with teachers over the past 6 years to develop their political knowledge,” she wrote in the summer 2016 issue of “Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics.”

Just... wow. This person has been getting grants to push this crap, and for at least 6 years? Makes it easier to understand how they have been using our education system to push their ideology, and makes it easier to see what and why they are doing with things like common core.

The first page of Gutierrez’s article contains extensive footnotes documenting why she says “Black students” instead of “black students,” “Latin@” instead of “Latinx” and “historically looted” instead of “low income.”

But "Latinx" is the phrase being pushed by SJWs.

This is just absolutely insane.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »

But "Latinx" is the phrase being pushed by SJWs.

I've never encountered that, and my late wife was a Latina. When and where did that originate, and what is it supposed to signify?

Never mind, I found it https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-people-are-using-the-term-latinx_us_57753328e4b0cc0fa136a159

And they're barking up the wrong tree, IMHO. Spanish is a very much gender-oriented language. In Spanish, as just one example, one boy is "muchacho" and one girl is "muchacha." A group of boys is "muchachos" and a group of girls is "muchachas."

So what about a mixed group of boys and girls?

"Muchachos" -- every time. I suspect it'll be a long time before that changes to "muchachx."

But now we know why American students are behind much of the rest of the world in STEM subjects -- the teachers are too busy engaging in political brainwashing to teach their subject -- if they're even capable of teaching their subject.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
I didn't see any explanation in the link as to what an "other-than-human" person is.  Most of the article talks about different races so it makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:24:26 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
I didn't any explanation in the link as to what an "other-than-human" person is.  Most of the article talks about different races so it makes me wonder.

Maybe apex? Wait, that's already a word ... apx?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:21:41 PM »
Is she saying BlAcK sTuDeNts and Latinxyz are "less than human persons"??

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »
Anybody who's approach to education starts with an opposition to  truth and knowledge should be given as much attention as someone who's approach to proper nutrition includes an opposition to food and drink.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
"Other than human persons" reminds me of the change in law in Boulder CO to designate humans some years ago as "guardians" of their pets rather than owners.  Not sure what their end game is on this blurring of the meaning of "persons."  But I'll bet it's other than honorable.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
Maths are raysiss
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

Tsk, tsk.  We should have all realized by now that math, like gender, is fluid.  2+2 has differing results depending upon what planet is ascendant, what phase the moon is in, and how many times the (not my) president has tweeted recently.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Tsk, tsk.  We should have all realized by now that math, like gender, is fluid.  2+2 has differing results depending upon what planet is ascendant, what phase the moon is in, and how many times the (not my) president has tweeted recently.
Besids, that spridsheat progran on the computr will do all yer addin and subtraking and spillchicken.  U don need to lern that stuf. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge