Author Topic: Britain's new aircraft carriers...  (Read 760 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Britain's new aircraft carriers...
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
Interesting interactive from BBC on the HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, Britain's two new aircraft carriers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/UK_aircraft_carriers

The entire article is a bit shocking, though. I had no clue that Britain's Royal Navy had been cut so deeply that it's practically a Royal Joke.

They've got fewer than 20 destroyers and frigates combined. No cruisers. And, they've not even had light carriers for over a decade.

There are more crew members assigned to the 10 US carriers than there are Royal Navy sailors.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Britain's new aircraft carriers...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
Interesting interactive from BBC on the HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, Britain's two new aircraft carriers.

The entire article is a bit shocking, though. I had no clue that Britain's Royal Navy had been cut so deeply that it's practically a Royal Joke.

They retired their Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (Nimrod) back in 2010 and have just now realized they should have something because after all they are an island nation. They are going to buy some new P8s from Boeing. I am not sure where they will fly them from, most RAF bases that the Nimrod operated from are closed down.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »
Why spend money on defense when the US has your sorry asses covered.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Hey, NHS isn't free.  Neither is Public housing, or 156 billion pounds (?!?) in pensions they pay.  Something's gotta give.

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/year_spending_2017UKbn_17bc1n_40#ukgs302

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
They retired their Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (Nimrod) back in 2010 and have just now realized they should have something because after all they are an island nation. They are going to buy some new P8s from Boeing. I am not sure where they will fly them from, most RAF bases that the Nimrod operated from are closed down.

bob

ASW everywhere took a hit after the bear went home, or bankrupt. I am sure you know that way better than I do, but others might not.

When I first deployed in 1995 we had S-3s and HS squadrons on the carrier and they practiced asw a lot. My last carrier ride was in 1999 and by then the S-3 was mostly just a flying gas can. HS squadrons have become much more multi purpose, flying spec ops ashore, surface warfare, etc etc. Meanwhile out in the battle group there is a lot fewer decks and hangars for the other helos that previously we're the sub hunting experts. The frigates all retired and a fair number of the Burke class were built without aviation facilities.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
ASW everywhere took a hit after the bear went home, or bankrupt. I am sure you know that way better than I do, but others might not.

When I first deployed in 1995 we had S-3s and HS squadrons on the carrier and they practiced asw a lot. My last carrier ride was in 1999 and by then the S-3 was mostly just a flying gas can. HS squadrons have become much more multi purpose, flying spec ops ashore, surface warfare, etc etc. Meanwhile out in the battle group there is a lot fewer decks and hangars for the other helos that previously we're the sub hunting experts. The frigates all retired and a fair number of the Burke class were built without aviation facilities.

Yep, those in power figured that with all of the Rooskie subs gone there was no longer a threat. But now, everybody and their brother has a sub or two, including those pesky ChiComs with their diesel subs. I know that there was talk of having a diesel sniffer on the P8, we took it off of the P3s a long time ago because you run down a track and find a fishing boat. I really hope the P8 turns out to be as capable as the P3 which in the ASW arena it should. Some other missions, maybe not. Time will tell.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
The other day, I had business in Renton, and drove by the Renton airport.  The airport is also the home of the Boeing Renton plant which primarily builds the 737 airframe.  I was astonished at the number of P-8 Poseidon aircraft parked out on the flight line.  It is apparently a big seller, and I saw aircraft with United States, Australian, and Indian livery.  No UK or Norwegian airframes were there. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
Maybe tech will bail us out on the sub threat. Long endurance autonomous vehicles that drift or bottom sit and listen. Then attack.

But as far as GBRs carriers? Waste of money unless you spend the cash to have a proper battle group to catch missiles for them. I think our battle groups are still viable weapons but we're complacent after two decades of bombing tents. Lots of supersonic missiles in the world that don't have smily faces painted on the nose cones.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
Maybe tech will bail us out on the sub threat. Long endurance autonomous vehicles that drift or bottom sit and listen. Then attack.

That may be the ticket, much like the Mark 60 Captor we used to drop, but much more better. :)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
^^^Raytheon used to build the Mark 46 torpedo at a plant in Mukilteo about 1 mile from my house at the time.  I assumed they put the warheads on once it arrived in Navy custody, not at the plant.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.