Author Topic: If the FRENCH can do it...  (Read 2938 times)

Harrison Bergeron

• Everyone is finally equal.
If the FRENCH can do it...
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
...why can't we?

The French are expelling illegal Roma immigrants:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7953528/France-begins-Roma-expulsion.html

TL;DR: France is expelling 700 illegal Roma immigrants back to Romania.  Sure it's only 700, but if France can do it, we certainly can...

HankB

• friend
Re: If the FRENCH can do it...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »
There's even precedent.

During the Eisenhower administration (circa 1954) we had Operation Wetback - the administration had determined that one million illegals was too much.

We can do it . . . the problem is, .gov won't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
There's even precedent.

During the Eisenhower administration (circa 1954) we had Operation Wetback - the administration had determined that one million illegals was too much.

shucks and some of the ones run out were us citizens   another proud moment to be looked upon fondly..... by some
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:53:03 PM »
That sounds like a feel good political ploy by the Gauls. The Roma have been everyone's favorite whipping boy, just about a long a history playing the scapegoat as the Joos. I guess kicking around a few gypsies is easier than dealing with real problems they have with immigrants. Sure, they passed a ban on islamic head scarves, but that won't make their real immigration problem go away.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »
I still think it'd be better to go after people that hire them.  Say, a $1 million dollar fine per illegal hired would put the kaibosh on hiring right quick.

I know the govt has "something" to help verify the legal status of workers in this country, but I don't know how good it is.  If it works better than 2/3 of government databases/lists (like the wonderful no fly list, or the list of everyone that has NFA weapons) it might even be worth using.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
I still think it'd be better to go after people that hire them.  Say, a $1 million dollar fine per illegal hired would put the kaibosh on hiring right quick.

I know the govt has "something" to help verify the legal status of workers in this country, but I don't know how good it is.  If it works better than 2/3 of government databases/lists (like the wonderful no fly list, or the list of everyone that has NFA weapons) it might even be worth using.

It bothers me to require employers to do what the govt should have been doing.  :mad:

Really, nobody should have to show any paperwork to get a job (other than qualification stuff - school degrees, etc).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »

And not only will they not do it .gov will fight to stop anyone else from doing it. Fed gov knows best right??  [barf]

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »
I honestly think the problem is that people like factory owners, farmers, and meat processors lobby to keep the immigration enforcement the way it is: this way they can keep prices low and keep their profits high by hiring illegals...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »
It bothers me to require employers to do what the govt should have been doing.  :mad:

Really, nobody should have to show any paperwork to get a job (other than qualification stuff - school degrees, etc).
Yup.  It isn't private business' job to enforce federal law.  That's the government's job.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:26:50 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
Yup.  It isn't private business' job to enforce federal law.  That's the government's job.  

While I don't disagree with you, it's probably the quickest and cheapest initial fix.
If illegals can't get employed, my theory is they'll go home on their own.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »
I honestly think the problem is that people like factory owners, farmers, and meat processors lobby to keep the immigration enforcement the way it is: this way they can keep prices low and keep their profits high by hiring illegals...
Manufacturing, farming, meat processing are not high profit businesses.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
While I don't disagree with you, it's probably the quickest and cheapest initial fix.
If illegals can't get employed, my theory is they'll go home on their own.
Then lean on the gooberment to do their job and enforce the immigration laws.

Don't impose a burden on my business to carry out your political whims.  To put it bluntly, my business isn't your bee-otch.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:32:25 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »

You forgot the people that want tp poof! make them legal then suck their toes to get a new beholden demographic to vote for them. That is a bi-partisan description BTW, not a shot at the resident liberal.  ;)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.