Author Topic: I'm sick of "social media"  (Read 3091 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I'm sick of "social media"
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
Every day I get multiple requests from Linked In members for me to recommend them. Problem is, I don't know any of these people. Yesterday I just cancelled my membership to make them stop.

Every day I get multiple emails from Facebook saying that I have 90 friend requests, and asking me if I know persons A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, or K. Usually I'll know one, and Facebook should have that in their system. The other people are ones that lived in the same cities I did or went to the same university. Not exactly a small sample.

Twitter sends me emails about people I've already signed up to receive alerts, so that's fair. There's usually nothing of interest in a 140 character Tweet, though.

I don't know that Classmates.com is considered "social media", but it's close enough and irritating enough to qualify. I get emails from them almost daily, inviting me to see the new photos from somebody I don't know. They'll get the school and graduation year right, but most names they mention are fakes. They'll often say something like "Mary Anderson just posted a new photo". The thumbnail of the photo is blurry enough that it could be the Mary Anderson I dated in 7th grade, or it could be Benjamin Franklin.

None of the social media gives me enough to really make visiting worth my while. On Facebook I have to wade through hundreds of photos of kittens and wedding parties, recipes for Bundt cakes made from from tofu, stories from relatives about mowing the lawn that morning, and a zillion ads for wing nuts that are there only because I bought a 49-cent wing nut online that morning.

I think I'll call someone on the phone today. I don't believe that's called "media", but it's a lot more sociable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I'm sick of "social media"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
I think I'll call someone on the phone today. I don't believe that's called "media", but it's a lot more sociable.

867-5309

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
I just want to know why it's called media, when it's all on the same medium.

Unless Twitter is also available as an app for HAM radio...  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
Why not simply turn off email notifications?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
APS is a form of social media.

It sounds like the problem is less "social media sucks" and more "you suck at social media" no offense intended.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »
APS is a form of social media.

It sounds like the problem is less "social media sucks" and more "you suck at social media" no offense intended.

Don't criticize until you glock a mile in his moccassins  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
If only there was some way to not have to use social media
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
If only there was some way to not have to use social media

I'm guessing that would put a crimp in his business.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »

I'm guessing that would put a crimp in his business.

No way, man. Observe:

None of the social media gives me enough to really make visiting worth my while.

it ain't givin him anything
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
None of those sites are anything more than time wasters.

You didn't need them ten years ago.You don't now.

As you said,you talk to your friends.Suprise a classmate and send them a letter.Do what you know how to do.

Let the kids waste their time worrying about who had what for lunch with who.

Think about all the time you could re-direct into something worthwhile.

jeff w

I like onions!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
No way, man. Observe:

it ain't givin him anything

No, I stopped using Facebook for business many months ago. I spent about $1000 on ads and got very few clicks. The cost per click from Facebook was probably over $10. I got all sorts of "Likes" for the deals I posted, but Likes don't pay the bills.

I don't know why social media is necessary, but I guess it is for some.

I don't see APS as the same thing. It's more like a small community. And nobody posts recipes for Bundt cakes.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
None of those sites are anything more than time wasters.

You didn't need them ten years ago.You don't now.

As you said,you talk to your friends.Suprise a classmate and send them a letter.Do what you know how to do.

Let the kids waste their time worrying about who had what for lunch with who.

Think about all the time you could re-direct into something worthwhile.

Nobody needed telephones in the past, and no one needs them now. It's so dehumanizing talking to someone without seeing them, it's like you're living your life yelling at people in the next room. Telegraphs and the US mail was good enough fer my pappy, and theys good enough fer me.

PS you posted this rant against social media on a forum, which is a form of social media. Maybe you need to get outside and send a letter to your friends or something.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
or, and i know this is so very, very, very difficult, do like Brad said and just turn off the email notifications.

The key here is that you use social media, not letting social media use you.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Nobody needed telephones in the past, and no one needs them now. It's so dehumanizing talking to someone without seeing them, it's like you're living your life yelling at people in the next room. Telegraphs and the US mail was good enough fer my pappy, and theys good enough fer me.

PS you posted this rant against social media on a forum, which is a form of social media. Maybe you need to get outside and send a letter to your friends or something.

You missed the point.Suprise.

A rant?Not even close.Yes,the forum is a form of social media.It isn't,however,one that sends notifications whenever someone posts a bundt cake(I do like those though) recipe.See Monkeylegs post above.Make an effort to understand what he's saying before attacking.

Maybe you need to go change a lightbulb or something.
jeff w

I like onions!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
No, I stopped using Facebook for business many months ago. I spent about $1000 on ads and got very few clicks. The cost per click from Facebook was probably over $10. I got all sorts of "Likes" for the deals I posted, but Likes don't pay the bills.

I don't know why social media is necessary, but I guess it is for some.

I don't see APS as the same thing. It's more like a small community. And nobody posts recipes for Bundt cakes.

:-*
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Glazed-Almond-Bundt-Cake/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 2/3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup milk

1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
DIRECTIONS:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and ground almonds. Set aside.
2.   In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with 1 cup milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3.   Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and invert on a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Place rack on waxed paper. Combine 1/4 cup milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and toasted sliced almonds; pour over warm cake.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
You missed the point.Suprise.

A rant?Not even close.Yes,the forum is a form of social media.It isn't,however,one that sends notifications whenever someone posts a bundt cake(I do like those though) recipe.See Monkeylegs post above.Make an effort to understand what he's saying before attacking.

Maybe you need to go change a lightbulb or something.

Notifications can be shut off.

And you're insulting me because I work in the trades? Pathetic.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »
A reminder to Balog and onions! play nice so we don't have to unfriend either of you.  :police:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »
:-*
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Glazed-Almond-Bundt-Cake/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

[snip]

Thank you.  I didn't have time to look one up right now.  (you know he was asking for it)
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
Notifications can be shut off.

And you're insulting me because I work in the trades? Pathetic.

just one day. you know, like people go offline for a week, you can go off hate for one day. just try it. you might like it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
just one day. you know, like people go offline for a week, you can go off hate for one day. just try it. you might like it.

What? I dislike it when someone insults me because of what I do and I'm somehow being hateful? That honestly doesn't even make sense.  ???

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
A reminder to Balog and onions! play nice so we don't have to unfriend either of you.  :police:

I'm done with this thread. My comments stand however. Also, http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=45328.0

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
What? I dislike it when someone insults me because of what I do and I'm somehow being hateful? That honestly doesn't even make sense.  ???

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=45284.25

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=45284.25

Nothing I said about bronies is anything worse than you've said about pro-lifers, opponents of same sex marriage, or devout Christians in general over the years. Either you have a lot of "hate"  ;/ yourself, or your outrage is selective. Either way, I'm not that concerned about it.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
Nothing I said about bronies is anything worse than you've said about pro-lifers, opponents of same sex marriage, or devout Christians in general over the years. Either you have a lot of "hate"  ;/ yourself, or your outrage is selective. Either way, I'm not that concerned about it.

bronies have done nothing to you. the pro-lifers and the oppenents of gay marriage have direct impact on my life.

and I don't hate devote Christians. I don't even hate hypocrites and bible thumpers like you. :* get help. blood pressure meds for starters...

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
bronies have done nothing to you. the pro-lifers and the oppenents of gay marriage have direct impact on my life.

Lol.

and I don't hate devote Christians. I don't even hate hypocrites and bible thumpers like you. :* get help. blood pressure meds for starters...

Please point out my hypocrisy. You only know me from this forum, so I'd assume all of my hypocrisy is only a short use of the Search function away.

You're reading a lot of emotions that don't exist into my posts. I'd suggest that says more about you than it does me. I dislike some things. That doesn't mean i get emotional or worked up about them. Why would you assume it does? Are you incapable of disliking something without becoming emotional and upset about it, or do you just assume that anyone who disagrees with you must be that way?