Author Topic: Russians to investigate our "moon landing."  (Read 5263 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:08:03 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Russians to investigate our "moon landing."
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
The idea that the lunar landing was faked is silly.  Communications logs prove we were listening to the astronauts from the moon, and the Russians had the technology to monitor them and did so.
If they had had one inkling of a faked landing, they'd have been screaming bloody murder about it in 1969.
Remember we were in a race to get there first.  If the commies coulda called us on a fake, they woulda done it -- 46 years ago.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
The idea that the lunar landing was faked is silly.  Communications logs prove we were listening to the astronauts from the moon, and the Russians had the technology to monitor them and did so.
If they had had one inkling of a faked landing, they'd have been screaming bloody murder about it in 1969.
Remember we were in a race to get there first.  If the commies coulda called us on a fake, they woulad done it -- 46 years ago.

Dude, you forgot to take your propaganda filter tablet this morning. This is in the same league with "Russian aircraft disables U.S warship's defense systems". Bombastic tripe for internal consumption.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:33 PM »
Anyone seen interstellar?  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »
Anyone seen interstellar?  

Yes.  But that seems to be a rather different story.... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
 If the commies coulda called us on a fake, they woulda done it -- 46 years ago.

Unless they were in on it.  [tinfoil]

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

Unless they were in on it.  [tinfoil]

Bill/"Whooaahh"/Bill
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
While they are at it, they should investigate 9/11 and Obama's birth certificate.  Make it a tinfoil trifecta.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
While they are at it, they should investigate 9/11 and Obama's birth certificate.  Make it a tinfoil trifecta.

You know, I could actually see Putin "investigating" that, finding it to be fake, and then saying every agreement or meeting between the US and Russia in the last 6 years is void, because Obama can't be President.  Then invading some other part of eastern Europe.  Because *expletive deleted*ck NATO, that's why.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »

Warren Commission Report, D.B. Cooper, Jimmy Hoffa, give them a laundry list.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »
Warren Commission Report, D.B. Cooper, Jimmy Hoffa, give them a laundry list.

And Big Medicine's suppression of the Rods of Ra.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
Maybe they want to disprove our claim "for all humanity," so's they can get up there and claim it for themselves.

Heh-heh hehhhhh.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »

And Big Medicine's suppression of the Rods of Ra.

I thought that was Big Oil.

No matter. Vlad the Inveigler's FSB can find the truth. Any truth he wants.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
You know, I could actually see Putin "investigating" that, finding it to be fake, and then saying every agreement or meeting between the US and Russia in the last 6 years is void, because Obama can't be President.  Then invading some other part of eastern Europe.  Because *expletive deleted*ck NATO, that's why.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
For the TL/DR crowd... here's the "why".

So, why is Investigative Committee member Markin speculating about conspiracy theories surrounding US moon landings that happened decades ago? In his op-ed, the Russian official also emphasized that “US authorities had crossed a line by launching a large-scale corruption probe targeting nine Fifa officials,” according to the Moscow Times.

And even they aren't suggesting the whole "Capricorn One" film stage scenario. I'm sure Soviet SIGINT was watching the Apollo missions with everything they had, and woudn't have wasted a second on exposing us on any fakery back then.

“We are not contending that they did not fly [to the moon], and simply made a film about it. But all of these scientific — or perhaps cultural — artifacts are part of the legacy of humanity, and their disappearance without a trace is our common loss. An investigation will reveal what happened,” Markin wrote, according to the Moscow Times translation.

They're not wrong about that. A crapton of moon rock and Apollo artifacts, gear, memorabilia, documents have gone missing due to people with sticky fingers, or incompetence at a bunch of universities and museums. There's been several U.S. and other countries news stories and editorials on it.

Simple answer, P.O.'ed by what they see as American hegemony by busting FIFA corruption, he singles out what he thinks of as America's crowning achievement, the moon landings, and attaches tit-for-tat finger pointing about all the thievery surrounding it.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
There you go, AJ, spoiling a bunch of good ranting by us TL;DR folks.  Thanks a lot.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 01:41:02 PM »
There you go, AJ, spoiling a bunch of good ranting by us TL;DR folks.  Thanks a lot.

So where were YOU when the moon rocks went missing? Can you account for your whereabouts between now and 1969?  =|
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Yes.  But that seems to be a rather different story.... [popcorn]

There was a bit where the kid was in trouble for bringing an old textbook in that spoke about the moon landings as fact, when the new "approved" textbooks said that the moon landings were faked so we could trick the soviets into spending themselves into the hole.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »
I seem to recall one show where they said one of the Apollo missions left a reflector on the moon that they could point a laser at and get a return. 

It is interesting to me that our telescopes are not good enough to see the landing sights from Earth.  Not sure if the Hubble is any better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
They're not wrong about that. A crapton of moon rock and Apollo artifacts, gear, memorabilia, documents have gone missing due to people with sticky fingers, or incompetence at a bunch of universities and museums. There's been several U.S. and other countries news stories and editorials on it.

Simple answer, P.O.'ed by what they see as American hegemony by busting FIFA corruption, he singles out what he thinks of as America's crowning achievement, the moon landings, and attaches tit-for-tat finger pointing about all the thievery surrounding it.

Any US moon landing kit going missing is "our common loss". Any Soviet cosmonaut kit going missing is probably "Western propaganda."

Keep in mind, virtually anything said in Russian media is likely propaganda aimed at the Russian people. They rarely give two tosses what the outside world thinks of it. Sure, a lot of folks snagged moon rocks or Apollo kit. Honestly, outside of some government drones, who cares at this point? Do a better job next time of locking up the samples for scientific purposes. I'm not overly concerned that a boot, or glove, or coffee mug went into someone's curio cabinet rather than a bin in the basement of some museum or government facility. I'm a big believer in museums and preserving history for future generations. I however do not think museums or governments should have a monopoly on historical items.

Again, it doesn't matter. "US is bad and corrupt" is the subtext.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
I seem to recall one show where they said one of the Apollo missions left a reflector on the moon that they could point a laser at and get a return. 

It is interesting to me that our telescopes are not good enough to see the landing sights from Earth.  Not sure if the Hubble is any better. 

Any telescope big enough to resolve Apollo landing sites would be blinded by looking at the moon. Including Hubble. They really don't have the ability to dial up their "f-stop" when it's set really really low to stare at some faint galaxy for a couple of hours. Might as well point them into the sun and cook a hot dog.

NASA's lunar orbiters have taken pictures and can see the LEM's base, flags, footprints, and rover tire tracks though.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Whether it happened (or not), can't we just tell the Russkies to blame it on Fistful and be done with it?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
NASA's lunar orbiters have taken pictures and can see the LEM's base, flags, footprints, and rover tire tracks though.

Oh, so only NASA can see the stuff we supposedly left on our trips to the moon. That's real convenient, idn't it?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 02:58:09 PM »

Oh, so only NASA can see the stuff we supposedly left on our trips to the moon. That's real convenient, idn't it?

Nobody's stopping any other country from putting up lunar orbiters or landers to go check things out. And they have, but none have bothered with the proper instruments.

(Although JAXA's HD video camera on theirs is pretty dang cool...)

https://youtu.be/A5-JBZlWzPk
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden