Author Topic: Russians to investigate our "moon landing."  (Read 5264 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Russians to investigate our "moon landing."
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
Nobody's stopping any other country from putting up lunar orbiters or landers to go check things out. And they have, but none have bothered with the proper instruments.

The conspiracy widens...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
There was a bit where the kid was in trouble for bringing an old textbook in that spoke about the moon landings as fact, when the new "approved" textbooks said that the moon landings were faked so we could trick the soviets into spending themselves into the hole.

Oh yeah.....forgot about  that scene....it broke my "kook" meter so I just passed it off as  Hollyweird.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:24:32 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
So where were YOU when the moon rocks went missing? Can you account for your whereabouts between now and 1969?  =|

I don't have to answer to you.  You can't prove nuthin!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »
Boy, the right side of youtube for those two links are a lot of conspiracy theory whackadoodle rabbit holes...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
Any telescope big enough to resolve Apollo landing sites would be blinded by looking at the moon. Including Hubble.
Hubble isn't nearly big enough to spot the landing sites, but it has successfully taken pictures of the moon.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
Any telescope big enough to resolve Apollo landing sites would be blinded by looking at the moon. Including Hubble. They really don't have the ability to dial up their "f-stop" when it's set really really low to stare at some faint galaxy for a couple of hours.

Just need more bullets to turn down the light: http://astroanecdotes.com/2015/03/26/the-mcdonald-gun-shooting-incident/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
Hubble isn't nearly big enough to spot the landing sites, but it has successfully taken pictures of the moon.
The comment I saw may have been on the mythbusters episode where they tested some of the moon landing fake myths.  One of the experts they interviewed mentioned the resolution of our telescopes at that distances was down to a handful of meters but still too large to see the equipment we left there. 

I thought someone (India?) was looking at doing a moon orbit probe, but I don't recall when.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
I want them to look into why Big Oil keeps supressing the 100 mpg carburetor!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
I want them to look into why Big Oil keeps supressing the 100 mpg carburetor!

Brad
That runs on water.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Oh yeah.....forgot about  that scene....it broke my "kook" meter so I just passed it off as  Hollyweird.
That was a neat movie, but some of the small details were odd.  All the fatalistic and anti-war stuff reminded me of some of hte 60's/70's scifi stories I have seen.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 11:28:19 PM »
The comment I saw may have been on the mythbusters episode where they tested some of the moon landing fake myths.  One of the experts they interviewed mentioned the resolution of our telescopes at that distances was down to a handful of meters but still too large to see the equipment we left there. 
Maybe I'm not up to date on the most powerful telescopes, but my understanding is that to get a "handful of meters" of resolution from here to the Apollo landing sites (say to spot the rover or a decent stage) you'd need something like a 60 or 80 meter diameter telescope capable of tracking the target as well as adaptive optics.  I think the largest telescope on earth is a little over 10 meters.  For comparison, Hubble is 2.4 meters, and I think it might have issues with tracking a target on something as close as the moon.

An orbital telescope's real advantage is that it could dispense with the adaptive optics but would need to be of similar size to an earthbound scope as orbit only buys a few hundred miles.  Hubble is around 350 miles up; that doesn't mean much in terms of distance to the moon.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
How about we just go there?  =D

Of course, they'll say we just faked that too.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/369441main_lroc_apollo14_lrg.jpg

Although the simple answer is that if we'd faked any of it, the Soviets would have been all over it.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:46 AM »
. . .  I'm sure Soviet SIGINT was watching the Apollo missions with everything they had . . .
I was in Florida on family vacation with my folks, and a few days before Apollo 11 liftoff, we chartered a boat out of the Keys and went deep sea fishing. We encountered a Russian trawler - with a lot of antennae - somewhere beyond the 12-mile limit. Gee, wonder what they were doing there?  ;)

We were in Winterhaven at liftoff - we watched it on TV, then went outside and 'way in the distance, we saw the bright orange flame of the Saturn V rising from the horizon. With binoculars - and a good dose of my youthful imagination - I could see a little black dot at the apex of the flame . . . the rocket, no doubt.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
Hubble is around 350 miles up; that doesn't mean much in terms of distance to the moon.

Y'know, I'd never really considered that distance in perspective; Hubble (when directly overhead) is closer than Tulsa or Laredo.

Might have to throw that in if the boss wants to send me back to McAllen; it's an hour farther than Hubble's orbit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
I was in Florida on family vacation with my folks, and a few days before Apollo 11 liftoff, we chartered a boat out of the Keys and went deep sea fishing. We encountered a Russian trawler - with a lot of antennae - somewhere beyond the 12-mile limit. Gee, wonder what they were doing there?  ;)

We were in Winterhaven at liftoff - we watched it on TV, then went outside and 'way in the distance, we saw the bright orange flame of the Saturn V rising from the horizon. With binoculars - and a good dose of my youthful imagination - I could see a little black dot at the apex of the flame . . . the rocket, no doubt.
That reminds me of something I saw on one of the conspiracy shows.  Some people were claiming there were a couple more top secret Apollo missions than publicized because they "found something" on the moon.  There is no way in hell they could keep a Saturn rocket launch secret much less all the other activity.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »
Depends where they launched it from.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
Depends where they launched it from.
Also, Skylab was just a cover.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Y'know, I'd never really considered that distance in perspective; Hubble (when directly overhead) is closer than Tulsa or Laredo.

Yeah, but can you hitchhike to the Hubble?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »

Sure, but these days you have to start in Russia.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »

Bring your towel.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
And don't panic!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
That reminds me of something I saw on one of the conspiracy shows.  Some people were claiming there were a couple more top secret Apollo missions than publicized because they "found something" on the moon.  There is no way in hell they could keep a Saturn rocket launch secret much less all the other activity.
Remember the Glomar Explorer, which was made to raise a sunken Soviet sub off the bottom of the ocean? There was a sister ship, the Glomar Investigator, which was specifically made to handle a Saturn V liftoff. Out in the middle of the Pacific, away from witnesses, there were at least three additional moon launches and landings - which were never publicized - to investigate the oversized humanoid robots found on the Moon.

[tinfoil]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »
Remember the Glomar Explorer, which was made to raise a sunken Soviet sub off the bottom of the ocean? There was a sister ship, the Glomar Investigator, which was specifically made to handle a Saturn V liftoff. Out in the middle of the Pacific, away from witnesses, there were at least three additional moon launches and landings - which were never publicized - to investigate the oversized humanoid robots found on the Moon.

[tinfoil]
I would believe that over a land launch in the Continental US.  And there were likely enough astronauts in the training queue that would have given their right arm to get into space. 

On the radio traffic side of things, did they have the tech to reliably encode all the communications with the spacecraft out at the moon?  Kind of assuming they could, but thought I would ask.