Author Topic: Video card recommendations for $ 400  (Read 933 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Video card recommendations for $ 400
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »
My current Nvidia GEForce GT 620 can no longer keep up with contemporary games.  It has been decades since I built my own systems from scratch.  I am running a Windows 10 Dell desktop with an Intel i7-3770 running at 3.4 GHz and 16 Gb RAM.  What recommendations does the Collective have for a contemporary video card for no more than $ 400 and can run modern games?  Preferably something I can get at Amazon, Newegg, or a similar trusted online retailer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Video card recommendations for $ 400
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Go to youtube and loom up Linus Tech Tips and NCIX. A couple weeks ago they were both trumpeting a sub-$400 video card  as the screaming-est deal on a video card in recent memory.

Brd
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
I've found http://www.logicalincrements.com/ to be a valuable tool in the "what's the best ___ for $___" category for PC parts. If you're willing to go all the way up to $400 you could get an nVidia GTX 1070, below that is the GTX 1060 as cheap as $200 or the AMD RX 480 in the same low $200 ballpark. I've been happy with the RX 480 so far. I've been screwed over at times by both nVidia and ATI/AMD products so I have no brand loyalty to either.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »
Couldn't find the vid I was thinking of but this will do...

https://youtu.be/3fcmSMk8iKk

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
I've found http://www.logicalincrements.com/ to be a valuable tool in the "what's the best ___ for $___" category for PC parts. If you're willing to go all the way up to $400 you could get an nVidia GTX 1070, below that is the GTX 1060 as cheap as $200 or the AMD RX 480 in the same low $200 ballpark. I've been happy with the RX 480 so far. I've been screwed over at times by both nVidia and ATI/AMD products so I have no brand loyalty to either.

I second the GTX 1070. It's what I'd go for if I had the cash.

ATI hasn't been able to hang with nVidia for some time now, so I wouldn't bother with them unless you're on a budget and don't need high-end graphics. Otherwise, if you are on a budget, the GTX-1060 would be a better choice.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 08:07:27 PM »
Based on the logical increments website, Brad's YouTube, and some other reading, I went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPVSLTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An EVGA GTX 1060 with 6 GB.  The good reviews, cooling performance and smaller size sold me on it.  Even though I have a full-size Dell XPS desktop tower, I read several review on the difficulty on fitting some of the larger cards with two and three fans due to the length of the card.  I was debating the 1070 but figured that this will get me through a few years until I update again.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »

A bit of a lower spec card than you want, but I recently had to cram a powerful graphics card in a very small PC. Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GL was an extremely good card for a very good price.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
Based on the logical increments website, Brad's YouTube, and some other reading, I went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPVSLTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An EVGA GTX 1060 with 6 GB.  The good reviews, cooling performance and smaller size sold me on it.  Even though I have a full-size Dell XPS desktop tower, I read several review on the difficulty on fitting some of the larger cards with two and three fans due to the length of the card.  I was debating the 1070 but figured that this will get me through a few years until I update again.  

Good choice, You may need to take a look at your power supply. Mass produced PCs don't often give you too much headroom.