Author Topic: Well, at least Bush is out of there...  (Read 11414 times)

lone_gunman

Well, at least Bush is out of there...
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
After 8 years of poor leadership at least we are done with him... only problem is I think Obama is going to make the Bush Presidency look like the good ole days.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Well, at least Bush is out of there...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Jorge W. looks happy to be gone. Lot of spring in his step.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
After 8 years of poor leadership at least we are done with him... only problem is I think Obama is going to make the Bush Presidency look like the good ole days.
I agree whole heartedly.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
Frying pan . . . fire . . .

Isn't there an old proverb involving these?  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »

The Democrats have been controlling Congress for the past two years.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:58:39 PM »
Yea, some folks tend to forget that.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
Yea, some folks tend to forget that.

It's funny to me that people blame the republicans for their failures over the past 8 years, but they have not had as much control as the Democrats have now for more than a century. (I'll guess since the end of Reconstruction)

Here's an idea. If you want smaller government don't blame the republicans when they have to compromise with the LIBERALS in their party in order to keep them from stabbing the entire party in the back AND with the Democrats just to get a bill or judges past their filibuster.

Just elect enough conservatives so they don't have to worry about that.

Also, funny how the Democrats don't have to worry about being stabbed in the back by their more conservative members.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

So what was so bad that President Bush did personally? I want actual events not a rehash of half truths and lies that have been spun the last 8 years or so.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
So what was so bad that President Bush did personally? I want actual events not a rehash of half truths and lies that have been spun the last 8 years or so.

OOoooo I can start us off!!!

"He lied about WMD's! He lied to get us into war!"

Funny how people are unable to look at the actual video of literally EVERYONE saying Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

But only Bush was lying.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

Supported a new AWB, pushed the Patriot Act(s), legitimized the ATF in the restructuring of letter agencies after 9/11, expanded fed.gov medical handouts (was that Medicare, Medicaid? I always forget the exact name), did nothing to expand nuclear energy as a response to energy issues.....

I'm no foaming at the mouth Du-type, but I think Bush has been a grave disappointment to conservatives.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
Also, funny how the Democrats don't have to worry about being stabbed in the back by their more conservative members.
Huh? You mean like Lieberman supporting McCain, then going right back to caucusing with the Democrats? The Republicans as a whole show a lot more party discipline than the Democrats have.

OOoooo I can start us off!!!

"He lied about WMD's! He lied to get us into war!"

Funny how people are unable to look at the actual video of literally EVERYONE saying Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

But only Bush was lying.
Bush considers that one of his biggest regrets - why would it be wrong for someone else to find fault with it? (Not the strawman you addressed, but the incorrect intelligence that led to war)
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »
Huh? You mean like Lieberman supporting McCain, then going right back to caucusing with the Democrats? The Republicans as a whole show a lot more party discipline than the Democrats have.
Bush considers that one of his biggest regrets - why would it be wrong for someone else to find fault with it? (Not the strawman you addressed, but the incorrect intelligence that led to war)

It's not a strawman when the people of the left firmly believe and repeat the charge (BUSH LIED!!!!). I can link articles, but I hardly believe that worth my time as a simple google search should supply you with ample evidence.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
If you think Bush was bad, just wait.......................chris3

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »

He said leadership, not government, implying President Bush.
The Democrats haven't been organized enough to do any real harm yet; they've been so giddy about their "people's mandate" that they've all shot off in their own pet directions.  What they *have* done is make it hard for anybody to get any real work done.

Overall I can't say I'm sorry I for voting with Bush.  I strongly object to the huge overall increase in the size and power of government, but... what would our alternatives have been?  Gore?  Kerry?  Just picture what would've gone down in the past eight years under Mr. Global Warming Himself, or the past four under the decidedly undecided John Kerry(both of whom, people are somehow still listening to).

As much as people hated him for being obstinate and "unilateral", I would have to reply that that's what being American has always meant.  We are who we are, we believe what we believe, and we'll act on our own beliefs.  I couldn't believe what Obama said about Americans when in Europe.

I certainly would've preferred a libertarian, but compared to the other options, Bush was alright.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:06 PM »
If you think Bush was bad, just wait.......................chris3

I didn't vote for Obama but I am going to try and give the new President 100 or so days before I start screeching doom and gloom, OMFG the sky is falling. I'm actaully hoping he becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
Exactly, Charby.

I don't really expect much, but I'm not going to start crying and rend my garments now just because I want to look like I'm getting in on the ground frigging floor with the rest of the 'tards.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:02 PM »

Supported a new AWB, pushed the Patriot Act(s), legitimized the ATF in the restructuring of letter agencies after 9/11, expanded fed.gov medical handouts (was that Medicare, Medicaid? I always forget the exact name), did nothing to expand nuclear energy as a response to energy issues.....
To which I add: attempted to enact amnesty for illegal aliens, spent money like a drunken sailor, promised something like $15,000,000,000 in aid to African countries where we have no interest, dragged his feet in the matter of Ramos & Campean, left Norman Minetta in charge of DOT for far too long, promoted ratification of the Law of the Sea Treaty . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ronnyreagan

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
It's not a strawman when the people of the left firmly believe and repeat the charge (BUSH LIED!!!!). I can link articles, but I hardly believe that worth my time as a simple google search should supply you with ample evidence.

If someone here argues that - I agree, set them straight. No one here is saying that though and it's silly to attribute that position to the entire "people of the left" just so you can argue against them. I'm sure some people do think he lied (some people think he's a shapeshifting lizard alien from the Zeta Reticuli star system) but that doesn't mean there aren't other reasons to be disappointed with him and specifically with the war.  Bush himself said his “biggest regret” was the mistaken claims in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq about Saddam Hussein possessing weapons of mass destruction.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
I didn't vote for Obama but I am going to try and give the new President 100 or so days before I start screeching doom and gloom, OMFG the sky is falling. I'm actaully hoping he becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I just want to see what tomorrow's executive orders are.

If one of them is closing Gitmo, he'll already be starting off with an asinine action based on kneejerk liberalism instead of sound strategy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
If someone here argues that - I agree, set them straight. No one here is saying that though and it's silly to attribute that position to the entire "people of the left" just so you can argue against them. I'm sure some people do think he lied (some people think he's a shapeshifting lizard alien from the Zeta Reticuli star system) but that doesn't mean there aren't other reasons to be disappointed with him and specifically with the war.  Bush himself said his “biggest regret” was the mistaken claims in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq about Saddam Hussein possessing weapons of mass destruction.

Actually, I was not directing that at anyone here. I had read Charby as wanting a rehash of the half-truths and lies from the past 8 years. Hence, my post started with the big lie.

After re-reading his post, I see he wanted ACTUAL complaints, not the half-truths and lies.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Here's an idea. If you want smaller government don't blame the republicans when they have to compromise with the LIBERALS in their party in order to keep them from stabbing the entire party in the back AND with the Democrats just to get a bill or judges past their filibuster.

Why should I not blame guys like McCain and Bush for being... not actually conservative, but big-government Rockefellerites?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »
Actually, I was not directing that at anyone here. I had read Charby as wanting a rehash of the half-truths and lies from the past 8 years. Hence, my post started with the big lie.

After re-reading his post, I see he wanted ACTUAL complaints, not the half-truths and lies.

Actually I quoted the topic starter and questioned his ambiguous one sentence of complaining.

Uranus is a gas giant.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »
What AWB???  It expired 4 years ago.........WMD, what do  you call 500 tons of  yellowcake?  DUers just can't stand to have their candle blown out over here......chris3

lone_gunman

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
A partial list of Bush mistakes that are inarguable:

Supported renewal of AWB
Signed Patriot Act into law
Actively campaigned for, and signed Medicare Reform (ie, the prescription benefit)
Presided over the largest increases in social spending since the Great Society
Created multiple new federal bureaucracies, thus increasing greatly the size and scope of the federal government
Signed Campaign Finance Reform into law
Tried to nominate Harriet Myers to the Supreme Court
Support Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants

Now if the Bush-o-philes would direct their attention to these obvious failures, rather than going on and on about WMD and Iraq, we might be able to have a real conversation.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »

In all actuality, the dems have been controlling things a lot longer than that.  Every time the Republicans tried to do something the dems would filibuster, or threaten to and the Republicans would just roll over and take it.  Thank you John McCain.

Harriet Myers is a non issue, without her we would not have gotten Sam Alito.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com