Author Topic: Obama Brings the Grownups Back to Washington  (Read 6314 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama Brings the Grownups Back to Washington
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
Well if he did, this reporter is not one of them. "Grownups" aren't this smarmy. I actually thought this was satire at first, but she is apparently serious. And if I may interject a non-political note into politics, the linked jpg would contradict her "...and people cleaned up after themselves" comment.

--------------------------------

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/21/article-0-03203EA4000005DC-489_634x414.jpg

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aK_xDsz_gd.8#
Obama Brings the Grownups Back to Washington: Margaret Carlson
Email | Print | A A A

Commentary by Margaret Carlson

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) -- After the first glimpse of Michelle Obama in sunny yellow going to pray at St. John’s Church, after Barack Obama paused on the Capitol steps to gaze on thousands of small flags held aloft by a sea of humanity, after the million- plus crowd had maintained a communal kindness for hours -- after all that, people mostly picked up after themselves. The local NBC station reported Tuesday night that the Mall was cleaner than anyone might have expected.

That was the first act in the new era of responsibility that the president called for in a speech that sacrificed the rhetorical heights he usually reaches for cold, stark reality.

Inaugurations often get presidents swinging for history’s fences. They speak to posterity, bypass the living, and are so crammed with generalities that you need carbon dating to know when they took place.

Obama’s was filled with the kind of substance usually reserved for the State of the Union:

“We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together,” he said. We will “wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.”

And by the way, he’s going to end the war in Iraq and bring peace to our enemies who will “unclench” their fists.

He nodded to the historic nature of his presidency when he noted that “a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath.”

Grow Up

At its core, the speech was an invitation to grow up, fast. “Set aside childish things,” he lectured, as former President George W. Bush looked on. Obama graciously thanked Bush for his service even as he ushered out the substitute teacher who had let the class run wild.

The permanent teacher, of stern demeanor and withering gaze, announced that there will be homework, no grading on a curve, and a change of curriculum.

“We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals,” he said in a rebuke to former Vice President Dick Cheney, sitting in a wheelchair, looking like Mr. Potter, the greedy banker in the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Science will be restored “to its rightful place” and government will resume regulating. Our financial crisis reminds us, he said, that “without a watchful eye, the market can spin out of control.”

Market Plunge

Not that we needed a reminder. As Obama spoke, the markets plummeted, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average falling more than 300 points, its worst Inauguration Day performance. Citigroup Inc. is being broken into two pieces with no assurance that either will survive.

To the leader who should have been regulating the reckless, selfish financial buccaneers, Obama scolded, “A nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.”

He’s likely to reverse course entirely, step up regulation and spend yet more money than the $700 billion Bush asked for to shore up the financial system.

Franklin Roosevelt took extraordinary measures to halt an actual catastrophe. Obama is training a howitzer on a looming one. He will either bankrupt us or save us. Sometimes it seems he’s playing the game 10 levels above everyone else, with Congress and Lawrence Summers and the rest of the Cabinet so much human window dressing for a man with a high IQ and pitch- perfect temperament. Maybe he can defy the paradox that often finds brilliance inversely proportional to judgment.

Somber Chief

Obama was steady to the point of somber all day, relieved briefly when he hugged his daughters or got out of his armored limousine to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue and waltzed with his wife.

The rest of the time he looked like a man with an overflowing in-box conscious he was wasting time. If he could have eaten at his desk instead of dining in Statuary Hall, he would have. There was no way to sneak out for a smoke, let alone sneak a look at his BlackBerry. The Secret Service wants him to get rid of it.

Obama moved swiftly during his first moments in the Oval Office on the small things that can mean a lot. A mayor proves his mettle early by repairing potholes, a president by repairing a system rigged against the little guy.

Frozen Salaries

Obama froze staff salaries over $100,000, demanded compliance with the Freedom of Information Act to force openness and accountability, halted Bush’s in-process executive orders that favor industry, and issued an ethics policy strict enough to curl a lobbyist’s hair.

If forcing those in charge to play by the rules renews faith in government, he may be the first president to reach a 99 percent approval rating.

On Inauguration Day, Obama spoke to the urgency of the moment, looking not to have his name etched in marble but rather to see it in the next 100 days affixed to legislation he believes will revive the American economy.

He’s been given a wide berth, not just by those who came to Washington’s Woodstock but by Republicans like Senator John McCain, for whom Obama held a dinner.

The danger is that Obama will be so eager for a Washington consensus that he’ll end up being too conventional. Some fret he won’t be liberal enough. We can endure the rockiness of a transformation. We’re in deep trouble without one.

(Margaret Carlson, author of “Anyone Can Grow Up: How George Bush and I Made It to the White House” and former White House correspondent for Time magazine, is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are her own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Margaret Carlson in Washington at mcarlson3@bloomberg.net
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama Brings the Grownups Back to Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
There is something grimly ironic about a half-formed man like Barack Obama telling America to "grow up."

The people who need to "grow up" are his followers, who are sure we have no serious foreign enemies and that we can drive our economy on sunflower seeds.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:03 AM »
Great Leader assigns homework? :rolleyes:

B.H. Obama:  "Your homework is to go study a termite mound and report back on how we can organize society like that."

Where do I sign up to pledge my disloyalty to Great Leader? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
Franklin Roosevelt took extraordinary measures to halt an actual catastrophe. Obama is training a howitzer on a looming one. He will either bankrupt us or save us. Sometimes it seems he’s playing the game 10 levels above everyone else, with Congress and Lawrence Summers and the rest of the Cabinet so much human window dressing for a man with a high IQ and pitch- perfect temperament. Maybe he can defy the paradox that often finds brilliance inversely proportional to judgment.

Wow, just wow.

Obama knows nothing about economics. Even many of his supporters point to how he will be relying on his advisors in this area.

Yet this sycophant believes he's so far above us all.

At least she notes: "He will either bankrupt us or save us"

You can bet where my money is...

Also, I note she said "the Mall was cleaner than anyone might have expected", which might be true as I was expecting it to be trashed.

It's one of the things I've noted: On average, people who vote democrat tend to be more rude, more inconsiderate, more selfish, and more likely to expect someone else to clean up after them.

Of course the mall would be trashed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:10:16 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

john828

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
What a joke!

I just have to wonder how people can be so blind and how they can get by without a shred of common sense or logic.  Of course they use common sense it is just nonsensical and their logic is illogical.  BUT HOW CAN IT BE?

Are they indoctrinated?

Maybe I am asking the wrong question.  What did I do differently or how was I raised differently? 
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
Too bad there aren't more grown-ups in journalism.

These are the kids who were raised from kindergarten to be good little followers.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

john828

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
And because they are "good little follows," they have never really grown up, thus the "nanny state" is a necessity for them.  I hope our country gets a good dose of reality over the next few years and awakes from the slumber.  One can hope.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »
looking like Mr. Potter, the greedy banker in the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

This is supposed to be objective reporting?

Silly citizens--objectivity is for conservatives--at least if you believe what Helen Thomas says.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
I don't think she's pretending that it's "objective reporting."  I think she intended to write an opinion piece.  And she did.

Rush Limbaugh repeatedly referred to Bush's first days in the White House with commentary such as, "the adults are in charge again." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
Does anyone else feel a lot dumber after reading that drivel?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
Without believing that Democrats really and truly are actually trying to destroy our Republic, it is hard to otherwise  comprehend why the majority of the Demcrat political class continues to promote and use methods and policies that have been shown to be not only counter productive, but kill the spirit of a people and stultify the ambition and energy that a free people need to progress.

Uncle Michael Savage may be right in what he says about liberalism:  Liberalism is a mental disease.  One of the accepted definitions of insanity is the doing of the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.
Not so oddly, when the government does nothing, progress and goodness usually results.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »

Uncle Michael Savage may be right in what he says about liberalism:  Liberalism is a mental disease.  One of the accepted definitions of insanity is the doing of the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

They're not insane. Nor are the especially stupid.

The problem is they are arrogant. Although we see past failures (e.g. price controls) and looming failures (e.g. social security, medicare, et al.), they are certain their ideas will work with the right people in charge.

Of course, they are the right people.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
A lot are products of the New Maleducation.  And they think they know a lot more than they know.  Their experience with solving real world problems is either minimal or zero.

But many, in my opinion, are just plain nuts, playing out their own inner dysfunction on a grand stage.  I don't know why we'd be surprised by that after half a century of "do it in the road."
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
They're not insane. Nor are the especially stupid.

The problem is they are arrogant. Although we see past failures (e.g. price controls) and looming failures (e.g. social security, medicare, et al.), they are certain their ideas will work with the right people in charge.

Of course, they are the right people.

The problem with liberals isn't that they're ignorant, it is that they know so much that isn't so...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »
The problem with liberals isn't that they're ignorant, it is that they know so much that isn't so...

I love that Reagan quote. :)

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
Does anyone else feel a lot dumber after reading that drivel?

Nope. I skimmed parts of it and decided not to waste my time reading drivel. Life is short.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
Yes, they know a lot that isn't so.  Quite correct.

But many on the extreme end of liberalism aren't well in the head and actively seek not only our destruction but their own.  There is no other way to explain some of their benighted policies.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
One of the qualifications of any State or Federal office should be that one has no formal education beyond high school and that one has to have been continuously employed for at least 15 years in a successful business that actually produces a good or a service. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
One of the qualifications of any State or Federal office should be that one has no formal education beyond high school and that one has to have been continuously employed for at least 15 years in a successful business that actually produces a good or a service. 

No formal education beyond high school, huh.  So you want our ignorant politicians to be....more ignorant?

Edit:  It should be noted that an interesting side effect of such a qualification would be the simple fact that no military officer could ever hold office, as I believe to become a commissioned officer in the US military, you need some form of formal education, often in the form of a college degree. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:35:22 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:24 AM »
ummm... Reg? This would be bad, how?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

john828

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »
Perhaps a compromise:  Leave out the no post-secondary education, but keep the 15 years in continuous work producing a good or service.
~z

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
They might be more ignorant of the leftist garbage that comes out of our major universities, yep.  They won't have had their minds corrupted by professors who instruct in areas that they have much book learning but no practical experience, yep.

They would be well grounded in practical knowledge and experience about how American capitalism works, though.  Maybe I'd make an exception for military officers who graduated from military colleges, or maybe just senior non-coms.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
Perhaps a compromise:  Leave out the no post-secondary education, but keep the 15 years in continuous work producing a good or service.

Here's an idea:  Lets let anyone run, and let the person be analyzed by the voting public, who will then collectively decide who is most fit to run the country.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
They might be more ignorant of the leftist garbage that comes out of our major universities, yep.  They won't have had their minds corrupted by professors who instruct in areas that they have much book learning but no practical experience, yep.

I think what you're getting at is that we want Real Americansâ„¢ who come from Real Americaâ„¢ not anti-americans who come from pinko-elitist-arugula-eating-urban-liberal-indoctrination-centers.  Maybe we just qualify/disqualify them on whether they like hunting/windsurfing?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
How about people who can fix things and make things?

How about people who can tell the difference between "the environment" and outdoors?

I think we have all become painfully aware that we are increasingly governed by a priestly class that thrives on obfuscation...and words like obfuscation.  =D
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.