Author Topic: Ruger Marlin 1894 Classic  (Read 621 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Ruger Marlin 1894 Classic
« on: October 26, 2023, 04:21:16 PM »
Just got my latest copy of American Rifleman, and Ruger has reintroduced the Models 336 and 1894 as "classics."

The 336 is only chambered in .30-30 at this time, and the 1894 is only chambered in .44 Mag/Spl.

Both are really nice looking guns, though a bit salty at $1,239 MSRP per.

Still, if they expand the cartridge offerings and include (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!) the .32-20, I'm going to pop for an 1894. I have always wanted a .32-20 to go with my Colt & S&W revolvers in that chambering.

I've come close to buying old Winchester levers or Remington pumps in .32-20, but never found one that hit all the data points on price, finish, overall condition and barrel condition. I almost sprang for a Remington some years ago until I realized that the lock up was WAY too loose and the rifling lead was pretty much gone. Even with the questionable barrel I'd have bought it, but that lock up... Nope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Ruger Marlin 1894 Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 04:48:38 PM »
I bought my first 336C at the Navy Exchange at NAS Jaksonville, FL in 1971 for well under 100 dollars. I wonder what ever happened to that gun. I seem to have no memory of where or if I ever got rid of it. I guess it could be with my sister in Oklahoma.  =|

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 05:02:31 PM »
Just got my latest copy of American Rifleman, and Ruger has reintroduced the Models 336 and 1894 as "classics."

The 336 is only chambered in .30-30 at this time, and the 1894 is only chambered in .44 Mag/Spl.

Both are really nice looking guns, though a bit salty at $1,239 MSRP per.

I want an 1895SBL Trapper so bad I can taste it, but at around $1300 street it'll be a while.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 05:07:37 PM »
Did I miss something? Did Marlin go out of business or something? I have the Marlin 1894 in .44 and it's a sweet gun. Though I wish I had gotten it in .45LC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 05:10:29 PM »
When I was MUCH younger, I always lusted after an Octogen barreled .45-70 in blued finish!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 06:01:42 PM »
Did I miss something? Did Marlin go out of business or something? I have the Marlin 1894 in .44 and it's a sweet gun. Though I wish I had gotten it in .45LC.

Bought by Ruger when Remington went Tango Uniform and production moved to Ruger's Mayodan facility. By all accounts, the new Ruglins are better Marlins than even vintage Marlins were. 1895 series was first new offering. Now they've brough back the 336 and 1894.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 06:22:41 PM »
Bought by Ruger when Remington went Tango Uniform and production moved to Ruger's Mayodan facility. By all accounts, the new Ruglins are better Marlins than even vintage Marlins were. 1895 series was first new offering. Now they've brough back the 336 and 1894.

Brad

Ah, okay. I bet we even talked about it here and my old man brain just forgot.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 07:14:25 PM »
A few years back I finally got the 1894 I wanted forever. 44 mag, never shoot it. Need to reload for it and move on with the plan. Synthetic furniture, can, see in the dark appliance. Nighttime pest control.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 08:03:16 PM »
For a long time I wanted one of the 1895 Cowboys in .45-70.

My God they were sweet looking rifles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 08:23:10 PM »
I have a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum.  Walnut furniture.  I think it's a pre-Remington.  I was actually looking for a Winchester at the time, but that was right when they were disappearing. 

I haven't shot it in a while; I used to load magnum wadcutters for it because they were short enough to fit one extra in the magazine and they fed just fine.  (they would not fit in a .38 Special unless I suppose someone bored the chambers all the way through)  Little flying sledgehammers, or at least that's how I imagine them.  I wonder how long that shape stays supersonic
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 08:33:32 PM »
I've got a 1980 vintage 1894C, .357 Mag with walnut furniture and a "Marlington" 1894 in .45 Colt, also with walnut. The 1894C has better fit and finish the then newer version but Other than a broken ejector on the 1894C I have never had any issues with either of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 09:26:45 PM »
I bought my Marlin 336 in .30-30 from Wally World about '05.  Put some ghost rings on it, polished a few inside parts & put in some Wolf springs.  Sweet little shooter, and it'll put 'em in a 3" circle (or smaller with a better operator) at 100 yards.

I wasn't thrilled with the one I had back in the '80's.  It was chambered for .357, the trajectory was similar to a rainbow.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 09:45:19 PM »
The rifle doesn't determine the exterior ballistics - the chambering and load do.

My Winchester Trapper with hot loaded .357 180 grain deer loads is well inside Minute of Bambi's Shoulder...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 11:28:45 PM »
A few years back I finally got the 1894 I wanted forever. 44 mag, never shoot it. Need to reload for it and move on with the plan. Synthetic furniture, can, see in the dark appliance. Nighttime pest control.
Did you shoot it some or never shot it at all?  If Remington made,  I would at least get a box of 44 specials and run through all of them to confirm everything works smoothly. 

I miss the cheap Marlin 30/30 rifles.  I hope Ruger figures out how to do a discount model.  On the plus side, I notice Rossi lever action rifles in greater numbers lately.  Mostly Model 92 clones, but they have a Model 94 clone in 30/30. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 06:48:11 AM »
I have a mid '70's production Marlin which is a great gun, I don't shoot it all that much because .444 is both expensive and hard to find in FL.  I usually throw a box in with my free shipping bulk orders when I want to plink with it.

That said, I think I paid $300 or so for it used, back in the late 90's.  There's no way I would even consider it for over a grand.  Perhaps' Ruger's offerings have been refined enough to sell, but I'm thinking outside of a few nostalga purposes, or jurisdictions where the hunting laws make Lever guns the only viable choice for something, these aren't going to fly off the shelves.

They are nice looking guns though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 07:53:19 AM »
That said, I think I paid $300 or so for it used, back in the late 90's.  There's no way I would even consider it for over a grand. 

Yeah, mine was I think even less than $300. It's funny, up through about the 90's, things like revolvers and lever and bolt action rifles were more often than not significantly cheaper than semi-auto pistols and rifles. Now it's more often than not the opposite.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 08:14:53 AM »
" It's funny, up through about the 90's, things like revolvers and lever and bolt action rifles were more often than not significantly cheaper than semi-auto pistols and rifles. Now it's more often than not the opposite."

Yeah, semi-autos started getting a LOT cheaper when they started recycling all of that 1960s lidless tupperware...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 08:48:17 AM »
Did you shoot it some or never shot it at all?  If Remington made,  I would at least get a box of 44 specials and run through all of them to confirm everything works smoothly. 

I miss the cheap Marlin 30/30 rifles.  I hope Ruger figures out how to do a discount model.  On the plus side, I notice Rossi lever action rifles in greater numbers lately.  Mostly Model 92 clones, but they have a Model 94 clone in 30/30.

It is pre Remington. Works good, choked on 44 special hollowpoints though. Not exactly what it supposed to feed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »
I have a mid '70's production Marlin which is a great gun, I don't shoot it all that much because .444 is both expensive and hard to find in FL.  I usually throw a box in with my free shipping bulk orders when I want to plink with it.

That said, I think I paid $300 or so for it used, back in the late 90's.  There's no way I would even consider it for over a grand.  Perhaps' Ruger's offerings have been refined enough to sell, but I'm thinking outside of a few nostalga purposes, or jurisdictions where the hunting laws make Lever guns the only viable choice for something, these aren't going to fly off the shelves.

They are nice looking guns though.
.444 is super easy to reload for. I had a buddy that used to do it at the kitchen table with the old hammer tap dies and no press.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2023, 09:09:16 AM »
I knew a couple of people who used .444s in Pennsylvania.

They thought it was awesome for hunting in the close pine and laurel scrub.