Main Forums > The Roundtable

Pellet Guns?

<< < (2/16) > >>

BobR:
Here is my question of the day and then I will quit.

Why a pellet gun? You still have to worry about ricochets don't you?

When I did collared dove control at a friend's wheat farm in WA I would use a bolt action 22 and either shorts or CCI Quiet from about 35yds away to pop their little heads off. The CCI Quiet are only moving around 700fps, slower than most pellet guns.

I used a Marlin bolt with a Cabelas rimfire scope on it. It was one of the most fun and useful guns I have. When doing gopher control for a friend near Calgary or in MT and WA I would use a 17HMR, Although fast with only a 17gr bullet moving as fast as it does I think the potential for ricochet may be lessened by the bullet fragmenting if it hits something. That is just a guess as I can't recall ever getting a ricochet wit the 17HMR.

bob

HankB:
Buy a cheap pellet gun and you'll probably be looking for something better in a year or so.

I have an RWS M48 .177 pellet gun that's going on 30 years old now. Works well, breaks 1100 fps with light pellets, and gives me dime sized groups at 40 yards with RWS "Superdome" pellets. Enough power to kill rabbits and armadillos, so its overkill for gophers. It's a side lever gun with a fixed barrel rather than a "break barrel" gun so that helps accuracy. However, its more expensive than what you're looking for - and that's without the 'scope.

Depending on where you live and local laws, .22 Colibri or Super Colibri ammo (if you can find it) might be worth trying out of a .22 rifle.

charby:
Single shot .410

Ben:

--- Quote from: BobR on October 18, 2021, 01:21:35 PM ---Here is my question of the day and then I will quit.

Why a pellet gun? You still have to worry about ricochets don't you?

--- End quote ---

Yeah but, and I may be way off, not nearly what you have to worry about vs a .22, or no? I have a neighbor's house directly in the line of fire 1/4 mile away. I know a .22 can make that distance, but didn't think even a 1000fps pellet would be an issue at that distance. Obviously there could be close range ricochets, but if I break a window on my house, that's all on me.  =)

tokugawa:
I have a Beeman R-9 in .20 cal. With a Hawke 4 power airgun scope. Very accurate, and powerful- even after I bent the barrel and straightened it on the press. At 35 yards, it will easily hit a tin can and punch through both sides. 

Note- a barrel break spring piston airgun is cocked by pulling down on the barrel- if it slips from your hand while doing so, it will snap back and bend the barrel and likely crack the stock at the wrist. I ended up wrapping the muzzle with skateboard tape.

There is a tendency to regard airguns as a toy, but some of them are very fine indeed, and sometimes they get used a lot more than firearms. A good one is it's own reward.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version