Author Topic: from social justice and economic justice to...voting justice  (Read 10911 times)

longeyes

• friend
So much for one man, one vote...

http://www.publiusforum.com/2010/06/17/in-new-york-whites-get-one-vote-hispanics-get-6-each/

In New York: Whites Get One Vote, ‘Hispanics’ Get 6 Each

June 17, 2010 | Filed Under Anti-Americanism, Democrats/Leftists, Education, Government, Government, Corruption, Judges, Law, New York, Vote Fraud, Warner Todd Huston |
-By Warner Todd Huston
Well, a federal judge has “fixed” Port Chester, New York’s “broken” electoral system by giving every Hispanic voter six votes to each white voter’s one. See. Isn’t that much better? It’s wonderful when the feds can come into a community and make everything all better like that.
You might think I’m joking about the six votes. Well, I’m not. Federal Judge Stephen Robinson reached into his back of penumbras and decided he had the magick fairie dust that would fix the elections in Port Chester because Hispanics were somehow being mysteriously and steadily disenfranchised there.
How did he come to that conclusion? Well, you see, as it happens the district is nearly 50% Hispanic yet no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee positions. So OBVIOUSLY Hispanics were being disenfranchised. QED, really. Of course, bothering to vote at all and get involved in their local government might have helped those Hispanics aspiring to serve, but who needs all the messy hard work of actually trying to get elected when some half-wit federal judge can blow into town and start “electing” Hispanics by federal fiat?
This is one of the most disgusting displays of leftist social engineering I’ve seen in quite a while. Instead of encouraging Hispanics in the area to undertake an interest in their own civic duties, this judge decides to just give the few Hispanics that bother to vote extra votes to even out the playing field.

There couldn’t be anything more American than the ages old democratic principle of one man, one vote, but here comes Obama’s federal government to throw away generations of democracy and to create a new system, one of “cumulative voting” to give any minority that claims to be underserved a six-times greater advantage than those that have taken the time to actually involve themselves in their community.
And do you want a quote from the AP story that shows one of the most glaring examples of how un-American this whole thing is?
“I hope that if Hispanics get in, they do something for all the Hispanic people,” Sandoval said in Spanish. “I don’t know, but I hope so.”
There is so much wrong with this indigent cretin’s quote that it’s hard to recount them all.
First of all the AP notes that this likely illegal alien delivered his quote in Spanish. That alone should disqualify him as a source for a quote, much less citizenship in this American nation. Secondly, this un-American bystander is hoping that if they get elected “Hispanics” will “do something“ for “Hispanic people.” I have an idea. Instead of that, Mr. Sandoval, how about we get some AMERICANS doing something for AMERICAN PEOPLE when they get elected?
Well, Mr. Sandoval, let me hope that your “Hispanic people” are always on the outside looking in as long as they consider themselves alien “Hispanics” and not Americans.
If these so-called Hispanics want to get representatives of their choosing elected, here’s an idea: let them start getting involved in America and its political system. Don’t sit around moping over your tacos and Dos Equis and whine that there are no Hispanics on your local city council, Mr. Sandoval. Find some folks prominent in your community, do some fund raising for them, run them as a candidate, and get them elected like everyone is supposed to do.
And for Lord’s sake stop calling yourself an alien “Hispanic” and become an American, one deeply in love with our philosophy, our culture, and our history. If you want to be a “Hispanic” do it in Guatemala, or Mexico City. We don’t want you here unless you want to be one of us. But if you sincerely want to join the United States of America, we’ll welcome you with open arms.
This whole idea was pushed by another one of those Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) that want to seriously undermine the American system and weaken our nation. As such, FairVote.org is behind this little outrage. The organization touts itself as the “center for voting and democracy,” but what it really wants is to eliminate the U.S. system of elections and put in its half-baked, ever changing schemes angled to destroy democracy and turn over the nation to a tyranny of minorities.
The organization was started by 1980 presidential election loser John Anderson who was upset that his independent bid for the presidency had such a dismal outcome. Some of the other folks involved in this thing is pretty telling of the ulterior motives of the organization, though.
On the Advisory Committee, for instance, is radical gay activist Rashad Robinson, operative of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), Ms Magazine editor Katherine Spillar, left-wing Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr., radical enviro activist Erin Bowser, and other extremists. There isn’t a center right name in the bunch showing exactly what is really motivating them. Not a serious address of our electoral system, but a radical, left-wing redesign meant to empower other left-wingers and their special interests.
In the end, what we have here is a federally approved — nay federal mandated — destruction of our electoral system implemented to give power to people too stupid to bother to get involved in their own community. All orchestrated by an NGO that wants to destroy the country.
And of course, we know what the next step will be. Judges like this and their NGO co-conspirators will want to give the vote to illegals and non-citizens.
Obama’s Chicago Way style of federal politics continues down its sordid path.
Warner Todd Huston is a Chicago based freelance writer. He has been writing opinion editorials and social criticism since early 200 and before that he wrote articles on U.S. history for several small American magazines. His political columns are featured on many websites such as Andrew Breitbart’s BigGovernment.com, BigHollywood.com, and BigJournalism.com, as well as RightWingNews.com, CanadaFreePress.com, StoptheACLU.com, AmericanDailyReview.com, among many, many others. Mr. Huston is also endlessly amused that one of his articles formed the basis of an article in Germany’s Der Spiegel Magazine in 2008.
Huston has been a frequent guest on talk-radio programs to discuss his opinion editorials and current events and is currently the co-host of “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Conservatism” heard on BlogTalkRadio. Huston’s work has appeared on Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Neil Bortz, and Michael Savage. He has appeared on the G. Gordon Liddy show, dozens of local shows from coast to coast, and many blogtalk radio shows.
Mr. Huston has appeared on local TV news to discuss his writing, has been a guest of CNN’s blogger lunch, and has appeared on Breitbart TV’s B-Team show.
Warner is also the editor of the Cook County Page for RedCounty.com and has a blog on the Tribune-Owned http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/publius-forum/ChicagoNow.com website. He is a well known writer on Illinois politics.
He has also written for several history magazines and appears in the book “Americans on Politics, Policy and Pop Culture” which can be purchased on amazon.com. He is also the owner and operator of PubliusForum.com. Feel free to contact him with any comments or questions : EMAIL Warner Todd Huston
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: from social justice and economic justice to...voting justice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
Link error, page not found.

There is so much wrong with this that I'm rather speechless and not really sure where to start.

Wait a minute, yes I do: Run that bastard out of town on a rail!

Edit: A thought, now with this judicially dictated voting fraud in place all that remains is amnesty for a large crop of illegal hispanics, at which point it becomes numerically impossible to vote out bad legislation/legislators through "legal" means. At least for this particular town.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:28:08 PM by kgbsquirrel »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
What does it take to impeach a federal judge?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
This is a dumb idea, and it's pretty obviously trying to stack a vote, but it's not at all what that article says either.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_el_st_lo/us_voting_rights_election

I see nothing about "Hispanics get 6 votes and whites get 1".  Everyone gets 6 to parcel out as they see fit.  If you really like one guy vote for him 6 times, or vote for your 6 favorites 1 time each, or however you like.  Top 6 vote getters win.  It's seems kinda like basterdized range voting.

Not sure I'm for it, but it's definatly not what that blog described.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »
Everyone gets 6 to parcel out as they see fit.

Yeah, this doesn't register on my outrage meter at all.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
This is a dumb idea, and it's pretty obviously trying to stack a vote, but it's not at all what that article says either.

I see nothing about "Hispanics get 6 votes and whites get 1".  Everyone gets 6 to parcel out as they see fit.  If you really like one guy vote for him 6 times, or vote for your 6 favorites 1 time each, or however you like.  Top 6 vote getters win.  It's seems kinda like basterdized range voting.

Not sure I'm for it, but it's definatly not what that blog described.

I partially rescind my earlier comment, but as I said, only partially...

Quote from: The above link
Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act,

I fail to see how a free election is inherently wrong just because the people have consistently voted for a particular person, but if they want to run with that logic, what about those lifetime congressmen? Obviously it must be a voting rights act violation, only a single ethnicity (read particular person) keeps getting elected.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »
There was never any reason to impose a corrective solution.  Because the elections didn't turn out as leftists desired?

Six votes per voter won't solve the real underlying "problem."  For that it will take apportioning votes according to a Discrimination Index, and that is surely coming.  Let disadvantaged people have more votes.  Why not?  History demands it.

This is just a first step, but we all should know by now that suffrage is the last institution the Left needs to undermine and transform.

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
Goodbye to One Man, One Vote

By Selwyn Duke
If you thought that "one man, one vote" reflected the full flowering of representative democracy, think again. In the village of Port Chester, N.Y., just a few towns north of my locality in Westchester County, there is a new system. It's "one (minority) man, six votes" -- brought to us courtesy of the U.S. Department of Injustice and a lunkhead of a federal judge named Stephen Robinson.

Here's the story: In 2006, the Injustice Department alleged that Port Chester's election system was "unfair." The problem? While the village is almost half Hispanic, no Hispanic had ever been elected as a trustee.

Now, how this hapless village got on the feds' radar screen, I have no idea. Were Hispanics intimidated into avoiding the polls? Were there literacy tests? Poll taxes? No, this story will not inspire a movie by the name of Port Chester Burning. Instead, it seems the problem Uncle Scam had was that the town's slim white majority -- who turn out to vote in greater numbers than their Latino neighbors (Hispanics also account for only about 20 percent of Port Chester's voting-age population), along with whatever Hispanics join them -- have thus far chosen to elect only white candidates. That pesky majority rule can be a real bummer, can't it?

So the Injustice Department -- using our tax money -- dragged Port Chester into court, which, presumably, cost the village tax money in litigation costs (ain't being a civil rights lawyer grand?). It's enough to make you wonder if the Injustice Department has too much time and money on its hands, except that it doesn't seem to have time to tackle real voter intimidation. Remember that this is the bureaucracy that refused to pursue the case against the Black Panthers who tried to scare white voters away from a polling place in Philadelphia.

This brings us to Federal Judge Stephen Robinson. He ruled -- get the Digitalis -- that the village's practice of having conventional at-large elections violated the Voting Rights Act. Now, let me put this in the simplest terms possible. The Voting Rights Act's purpose was to ensure that everyone would have the opportunity to vote. Yet this "judge" decreed that "one man, one vote," and the attendant majority rule, violate the act if they don't yield a politically correct result.

And the kicker is Robinson's remedy: He approved a plan to give every resident six votes, which they can apportion among the six trustees to be elected any way they wish. It's known as "cumulative voting." No, we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Heck, I'm not even so sure we're in America.

What's the thinking? I suppose the idea is that many Hispanics will exhibit great ethnic patriotism and give all their votes to one Hispanic candidate, whereas whites don't vote as a block to the extent other groups do. Perhaps we're seeing an example of leftists nobly shouldering the Liberal White Man's Burden.

Judge Robinson also ruled that Port Chester must allow residents to show up on any one of five days to cast ballots, a system called "in-person early voting."

So first the left gave us quotas in schools and businesses, and now we have them in elections. I wonder, if there is a locality in which whites are almost half the population, with a black majority that has never elected a white candidate, will the feds roll into town and work the same voodoo? What if it's an area that's almost 50 percent female but that has never voted a woman into office? Maybe we should just mandate that public officials must reflect the demographic composition of their constituencies.

You could also say that this is the next step in the evolution of get-out-the-vote drives. It used to be that such endeavors were geared merely toward motivating the ignorant and apathetic to cast ballots, as we know that such people will make thoroughly stellar voting decisions if we can only somehow cajole them into the polling place. But this is so much simpler: Get out the vote by multiplying it. We don't need dead people in Chicago anymore -- we have deadheads in the Injustice Department.

Really, this scheme visited upon Port Chester is just another example of liberal bigotry. The leftist social engineers are again dividing people into groups, tacitly claiming that a person of one race cannot adequately represent a person of another, and changing the melting pot into a cauldron of ethnic tension.

So on Tuesday, June 15, there was an election in a village in New York. In preparation, the locality had six forums in English and six in Spanish to explain a new, federally mandated scheme to the voters.  It created various ways of publicizing the election -- with tote bags, lawn signs, and tee shirts stating "Your voice, your vote, your village"; and reminders in the form of TV spots, brochures, and handouts given to schoolchildren, in both English and Spanish -- all of which had to be approved by the Department of Injustice. It also hired a "non-profit" election research and reform group called FairVote to provide consultation services (our tax money at work -- again). And when it came time to cast the votes, "federal observers" were on site...watching.

The left is Balkanizing us. I just wonder what their quota prescription will be when it comes time to partition the nation.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
This is a cynical attempt to play on ethnic and racial favoritism.  Tribalism is the future.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »
Quote from: from above link
Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act,

What was the participation of the electorate by race?  If the town is truly 50/50 or pretty darn close then either the Hispanics were voting for a white candidate or not voting at all.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
warner todd houston  makes my list of "journalists" who lie.   i guess they count on folks reacting to the headline without reading the article   its apparently a safe bet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
Let's focus on the facts: six votes per voter.

Then we can address the motive in "solving" a supposed "problem" judicially.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Let's focus on the facts: six votes per voter.

Then we can address the motive in "solving" a supposed "problem" judicially.

How is six votes per voter a problem, as long as all voters get equally six votes?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
funny that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
As a fan of range voting, I also don't see the major problem, if people indiscriminately get 6 votes.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »

I see nothing about "Hispanics get 6 votes and whites get 1".  Everyone gets 6 to parcel out as they see fit.  If you really like one guy vote for him 6 times, or vote for your 6 favorites 1 time each, or however you like.  Top 6 vote getters win.  It's seems kinda like basterdized range voting.

That's nothing like range voting.  Range voting would mean you vote every candidate on a 0-6 (or 0-something) scale.

A fixed number of votes (e.g. 6) that can be allocated over an arbitrarily large number of candidates is completely different.  Actually I'm not sure what it's called.  It's not a condorcet system, it's not Borda, it's not range or approval or IRV... it might actually be merely a variation of plurality, if the idea is still that the candidate with the most votes wins.

The properties are much closer to plurality than to those other systems.  Strategic voting would still be in full force.  To keep undesirable candidates from getting elected, I think the strategic choice is to allocate all 6 votes for the candidate you desire among the top 2 contenders.  Then it degenerates into plurality, except with 6 times the vote count.

(Whereas range voting in pathological cases degenerates into approval voting, which is still vastly better than plurality.)

Quote from: Microbalrog
How is six votes per voter a problem, as long as all voters get equally six votes?

Because it doesn't actually change anything.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:22:09 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
And the PURPOSE is?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
That's nothing like range voting.  Range voting would mean you vote every candidate on a 0-6 (or 0-something) scale.

A fixed number of votes (e.g. 6) that can be allocated over an arbitrarily large number of candidates is completely different.  Actually I'm not sure what it's called.  It's not a condorcet system, it's not Borda, it's not range or approval or IRV... it might actually be merely a variation of plurality, if the idea is still that the candidate with the most votes wins.

The properties are much closer to plurality than to those other systems.  Strategic voting would still be in full force.  To keep undesirable candidates from getting elected, I think the strategic choice is to allocate all 6 votes for the candidate you desire among the top 2 contenders.  Then it degenerates into plurality, except with 6 times the vote count.

(Whereas range voting in pathological cases degenerates into approval voting, which is still vastly better than plurality.)

Because it doesn't actually change anything.

Ah, public choice theory. One of my areas of interest.

This type of voting is called "Cumulative voting."

It has been used in this country. It's just not our normal way of voting.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
Not normal?  Well, think again, because it is going to be the New Normal.

Those who wish to advance tribalism and ethnic enclaves can use this to further their cause.

And apparently they will find sympathetic minds even at APS.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »
*facepalm*

Again. In what way is six votes per voter somehow more racist and unfair than one vote per voter?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
you need to go to wnd and infowars if you want to understand

this kinda thing is the caucasian version of "the plan" that black folks like to refer to. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
This type of voting is called "Cumulative voting."

It has been used in this country. It's just not our normal way of voting.

When?  Where?  Most elections in this country are single-winner, and that seems to be a multi-winner method in its standard form; although it could be used for a single-winner election, I haven't found any real-world U.S. examples.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »
I think the outrage is not that this voting method was used.  Rather, the outrage is that it was used "because the wrong people kept getting elected," based on political correctness.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »

this kinda thing is the caucasian version of "the plan" that black folks like to refer to. 

intensely curious about this plan.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
When?  Where?  Most elections in this country are single-winner, and that seems to be a multi-winner method in its standard form; although it could be used for a single-winner election, I haven't found any real-world U.S. examples.

They are apparently electing 6 council members at once. Except instead of just voting once each for the 6 people you'd like to be on the council out of a pool of (lets say arbitrarily) 20, you can concentrate all six of your votes on a single person to help make sure that person is in the top six and hence gets a place on the council.

The theory behind this method of voting being is if you put up a single Hispanic candidate, the Hispanic voters can just allocate all their votes to that candidate thus ensuring them a place on the council (and also propagating a separation between peoples along ethnic lines), whereas the white voters are (supposedly) more likely to spread their votes out among several candidates they like. Presuming the white voters do such, you wouldn't need nearly as many individual Hispanic voters to ensure that the one Hispanic candidate is elected.

Rather than sticking to one vote per voter per candidate and simply encouraging the Hispanic population to become more active in their city's affairs, while squashing the concept of racial difference/inferiority by simply treating them as any other voting body that should strive to become more active, a federal Judge decided to impose by decree a system specifically engineered to highlight those differences and skew an election along racial lines. A decree, by the way, changing the methodology of voting in that town, that shouldn't have been made by a judge but instead should have been passed through the town's own legislative process. Just because some people do not choose to vote, despite having the opportunity of doing so and having said vote count the same as anyone else, does not qualify as a violation of law and does not empower a member of the Judicial branch to legislate from the bench.

The short answer: No, I don't think what the judge did was appropriate because: I don't believe the judge's actions were instigated by any actual violation of law but rather by political correctness run amok, and I also don't believe the judge had the authority to impose a legislative change.