Author Topic: Old-Fashioneds and Cigars  (Read 2832 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Old-Fashioneds and Cigars
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Made a Costco run this morning and got the Costco sized Makers Mark. I decided to try a slight variation of the Makers Mark Old-Fashioned:

Slice of orange, 2 maraschino cherries, tablespoon of sugar. Muddle well. Add a few ice cubes. Three dashes of bitters, 1.5oz Makers Mark, splash of tonic water. Stir and top with additional orange slice and cherry. Mmmm good. I'm on my third one and enjoyed the first two along with a Hoyo de Monterey Excalbur. All in all a fine afternoon. I should have been wearing a suit and my Fedora though.   =)

My niece came up with her own drink that was pretty darn good too. 5oz Belvedere, 1oz Amaretto, 1oz Kahlua in a martini glass. Add a maraschino cherry and call it a day (her explanation of the recipe).  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
Re: Old-Fashioneds and Cigars
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
I applaud your selection of a cigar.  I don't identify with fancy-schmancy drinks as I prefer my single malt scotch straight up, no water and no ice.

A drink and a cigar is a great way to watch the world pass by. =D
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:36 PM »
When I drank I didn't like American whiskey, although I admit my forays into that world were limited. Irish whiskey for me. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
I'm working on a proper martini with some bleu cheese stuffed olives.  No cigar, but I'd like one.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
I feel kinda trashy all of a sudden, with my love of Jack Daniels.  Powers and Laphroaig when I'm feeling classy. :P Cigars are mostly a no-no for me, since quitting cigarettes 6 years ago I have stayed away from all tobacco products.  I have given in to temptation one time when visiting the in-laws in Canada and smoked a Cuban.  It made me puke. :mad:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
The Excaliburs are great cigars.  I personally gave up cigars when I started working out a lot, but I do miss the taste from time to time.  Makers Mark made a pretty good cigar as well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
I applaud your selection of a cigar.  I don't identify with fancy-schmancy drinks as I prefer my single malt scotch straight up, no water and no ice.

I'm normally a single-alcohol-in-a-glass kinda guy, other than a touch of vermouth or lillet in a vodka martini, or maybe a mojito if I'm someplace tropical, but I either saw or read something about old fashioneds a while back and have had a hankerin' ever since. Running into the 1.75 liter bottle of Makers Mark for 25 bucks caused me to go for it.  Gotta say I seem to have hooked myself.  :laugh:

The Excalibur is my absolute favorite cigar, mostly because I like my cigars mild. I'll occasionally go for something like an Oliva Series V, which I really like, but they kinda rile me up.

A drink and a cigar is a great way to watch the world pass by. =D

I wholeheartedly agree. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
Also, you type very well for a guy who slugged down 4.5oz of whiskey.  =D

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:44:44 PM »
That could be bad -- I must have built up a resistance...  :laugh: :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »

Eh.  I'll stick to my vodka, ushanka and AK. 

And my Bacalera Perdomo Edicion de Silvio robusto to stand in for my Cuban stogies.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »
I really need to get a fancy Russian hat like that. And an AK :D

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »
I really need to get a fancy Russian hat like that. And an AK :D

The hat and bottle come in handy, along with a Soviet dress uniform, when you are invited to a military ball that merely specifies "dress uniform". 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
The hat and bottle come in handy, along with a Soviet dress uniform, when you are invited to a military ball that merely specifies "dress uniform". 

*GIGGLESNORT*
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

ejort

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »
Maker's Mark at Costco? Don't have Costco in my part of Ohio, but I can't imagine them having more than watered down grocery store booze here anyway. Must be nice.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
Washington state has a monopoly on selling liquor: it is only sold in state liquor stores.  I have heard of Costco selling commercial and its private-label liquor in some states.  I wonder if the typical Costco price competitiveness is there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
I saw yesterday Costco was selling Kirkland vodka. Same size bottle as the ginormous Belvedere ones for $40. I've never tried the Kirkland vodka, so can't compare it to the top brands.