Author Topic: "What 'Long Covid' Means"  (Read 646 times)

Pb

• friend
"What 'Long Covid' Means"
« on: December 16, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »
What 'Long Covid' Means
It’s a real disease, but that doesn’t mean its sufferers are right about everything.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/what-long-covid-means/

It is an interesting article.  It appears the doctor is saying that long covid is just normal recovery from a virus being horribly complicated by anxiety.... a conversion disorder.

My wife is friends with a woman who's daughters has supposedly been at death's door for long covid for a long time now.  Using oxygen, etc.  Hmmm.

I know how badly the mind can screw with your health, personally.  My recovery from hyperacusis was thwarted for years by anxiety.  I could never really get better until I realized and addressed that.  Your brain can learn to make you ill because that is what it expects.  Mine did.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: "What 'Long Covid' Means"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 02:57:30 PM »
I don't have any anxiety, but I still can't smell for *expletive deleted*it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 11:29:26 PM »
I don't have any anxiety, but I still can't smell for *expletive deleted*it.

I’m sure Covid did me no favors.  But my sense of smell has been terrible for at least 20 maybe 30 years.  I can’t smell bleach unless really strong, and gut shot animals/gnarly diapers barely phase me.  I can’t be trusted to tell spoiled meat or milk unless really far gone.  But I can smell ammonia with much more sensitivity than almost anyone else I know.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 12:11:01 AM »
No definitive diagnosis tat I've had the covids but I had two respiratory ailments that both knocked out my sense of smell for extended periods, the last one was more than a year ago and things still aren't quite right.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 03:21:14 AM »
From Psych 102  I recall that the rhinencephalon is the most primitive part of the brain and brain stem -- the chemical sensor and integrator (smell  mechanism) of the body.  Makes sense, since even the most primitive critters need to know the chemistry of their environment to avoid destruction.

I'm thinking that the numerous reports of long term loss of sense of smell with the Covid-19 infection  might be due to permanent damage to the rhinencephalon.

Any real medical reports on that possibility?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 03:45:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 06:53:44 AM »
I am sure it is a thing for a small portion of the test population, but... I figure that for most of the folks who spittlescreech over it, you're looking at Lupus crossed with Fibromyalgia in that emergency room...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 07:33:43 AM »
I’m sure Covid did me no favors.  But my sense of smell has been terrible for at least 20 maybe 30 years. 

I had excellent olfactory senses pre-covid. Two months after, I couldn't smell *expletive deleted*it, literally. Now, two years later, some sense has returned. I can pretty much smell bacon again thank God, but there's still a host of things I can't smell anymore, or that smell completely differently.

I think there are a good number of peer reviewed links in the big covid thread regarding the virus effects on olfactory receptors in the brain. This is nothing new or "OMG covid" - there are numbers of diseases that leave temporary to permanent aftereffects. I'm not sure if the smell stuff is just linked to the OG covid that I had, or if the post vaccine versions also did it.

Certainly like with any number of things, there are people who tend to hypochondria, and covid and the related hysteria has been a convenient vehicle for them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
I had excellent olfactory senses pre-covid. Two months after, I couldn't smell *expletive deleted*it, literally. Now, two years later, some sense has returned. I can pretty much smell bacon again thank God, but there's still a host of things I can't smell anymore, or that smell completely differently.

I think there are a good number of peer reviewed links in the big covid thread regarding the virus effects on olfactory receptors in the brain. This is nothing new or "OMG covid" - there are numbers of diseases that leave temporary to permanent aftereffects. I'm not sure if the smell stuff is just linked to the OG covid that I had, or if the post vaccine versions also did it.

Certainly like with any number of things, there are people who tend to hypochondria, and covid and the related hysteria has been a convenient vehicle for them.
^ Wisdom.  Thanks.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 01:39:43 PM »

Sounds like fibromyalgia.  A real disease that is also perfect for hypochondriacs and malingerers.
Formerly sumpnz

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 02:08:26 PM »
I read an article just out a couple days ago that found micro blood clots persisting in long Covid and previously undetected. Might explain the wide variation in symptoms between patients. This was a medscape article on my feed.
I wouldn’t put it all down to psychological just yet.
My wife has some symptoms that persist and she is a RN and the least likely person I know that would be a malingerer. She was fully vaccinated and had it 3 times.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
An interesting related article. It's premium membership, but I've pasted a relevant portion (bolding mine):

Uncertainty surrounded COVID-19 in its earliest days, stemming from the fact that it was caused by a novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), and we didn’t know what to expect from it at first. We didn’t know exactly how (or how easily) it was transmitted, how deadly it would be, and if it would have lasting health effects for people who contracted it.

Concern about the possible long-term effects of COVID infection led sufferers to begin referring to their lingering symptoms as “long COVID” or “long-haul COVID.”

Many viruses may cause sequelae (a secondary condition or symptoms that arise from the original disease) that can last long after the initial acute infection. Medical professionals have always been aware of this, but before the days of COVID, it wasn’t of great concern to most laypeople when they came down with the flu or another illness.

In the absence of a label connecting acute illness and chronic conditions, patients suffering the effects of the flu may have thought of their long-term symptoms as unrelated to their initial infection.

Now, some health officials and patient advocates are attaching the label “long” (or sometimes “long-haul”) to other illnesses, including the flu, when referring to possible chronic or long-term complications arising from them. The moniker may be new, but the phenomenon isn’t.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/health/will-the-term-long-flu-join-long-covid_4907499.html

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 01:25:13 PM »
Early November 2022 my wife picked up the 'rona from a customer.  She tested positive. A day later I was down too.  After 5 days I was feeling better and sacrificed our last home test hoping to get released.  Positive.

Flashback to the first week of February 2020 - I was sick with the worst flu and bronchitis ever, dragged myself to the Dr who smiled and said I was lucky to have been drinking water, take these pills for the cough and come back in a week if I'm not better.  A week later I went back and the entire staff was wearing space suits.  They suspiciously listened to my claims of pneumonia, gave a chest x-ray, and an Rx for some pneumonia pills.  Looking at the symptoms, I'll call it an early case of COVID, although unverified because of lack of a testing protocol in Feb 2020.

Both times my smell was impacted. First time my head was messed up for months - was it depression and anxiety from family stress and lockdown or the so-called brain fog?  Both times the tinnitus screamed louder than usual for weeks afterwards. Now, over a month later, coffee still smells like kerosene and coats my tongue with the chain smoker's taste of rotten flesh.

I'm not discounting psychologically challenged folk's tendency toward hypochondria, nor the possibility of morally challenged folks manipulation. But I do agree that the lingering effects of COVID19 and it's offspring aren't yet fully catalogued and understood.
7-11 was a part time job.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 02:00:15 PM »
I'm not discounting psychologically challenged folk's tendency toward hypochondria, nor the possibility of morally challenged folks manipulation. But I do agree that the lingering effects of COVID19 and its offspring aren't yet fully catalogued and understood.
We went to my sisters for Christmas 2019. Her husbands 2 adult children from Seattle and Denver had just left and sickness was spreading then (thanks a lot sis). My wife was really sick by new years, I got sick but not as bad. Nobody had heard of Covid then but my sister was tested and told viral infection but negative for influenza A or B
Wife got it again a year ago after visiting her mother (she died of confirmed Covid December 2021) and again just before Labor Day this year when I also had it for the second time.
I know a guy that still has taste and smell issues. He said loss of taste/smell would be bad enough but he has scrambled senses. He said a $45 beef fillet might taste literally like *expletive deleted*it. Something’s taste like nothing and some things taste like something else entirely.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 04:17:33 PM »
 no one at my job will get tested anymore because testing positive means mandatory missing work.
 people do seem to stay home when sick more often than they used to.

my only long term effect is I no longer drink coffee, I had it bad november 2021 but since then I think I had it due to the symptoms were similar to first time , but it never last more than a day or two

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 10:58:54 PM »
I’m sure Covid did me no favors.  But my sense of smell has been terrible for at least 20 maybe 30 years.  I can’t smell bleach unless really strong, and gut shot animals/gnarly diapers barely phase me.  I can’t be trusted to tell spoiled meat or milk unless really far gone.  But I can smell ammonia with much more sensitivity than almost anyone else I know.

Similar problem but not from COVID.
Early to mid 80s, I was working for a company making aluminum extrusions and paneling for buildings.  We used a fair amount of solvents and I used to tell one from the other by the smell.  Xylene, toluene, MIBK, etc., and I used to be able to tell them apart.  Now I have trouble smelling flowers, cooking food, etc.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »

I have noticed a significant increase in the idowana virus the last year or two.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?