Author Topic: Satanists plan to apply the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decision  (Read 4966 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Satanists plan to apply the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decision
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
Funny, Satan is an invention of the Catholic Church  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations/Churches--Defined
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part4/irm_04-076-006.html

Courts (correctly) get hinky about defining what is or is not a religion. Any specific individual is free to believe any or all religions or churches is not a religion, obviously. But in a legal sense, if it's a church for tax reasons, it's a church. Otherwise, it's entirely subjective but not relevant.

Wut?

If one may define "freedom of religion" as worship of one of a select group of "bonafide" deities, as opposed to "user's choice", and thus exclude non-approved sorts as "not a religion" and unworthy of First Amendment protections, then surely worship of NO god (agnostic/atheist) must also fall under that definition and likewise be excluded.

That's pretty much a violation of what we actually understand the First Amendment to protect. The government must have NO say in who you may worship, or even IF you worship. It doesn't get to say, "Well, Satan is only a fallen angel, not a god," and say that Satanism is therefore not a "real" religion, any more than it may say, "You can worship whichever god or gods you prefer, but you may not choose NOT to worship."

Just contesting the notion that Satanism could be truthfully argued to be "not a religion" and thus have no standing in any religious argument. Outside of that, I've not read up on this particular case, so I don't really have an opinion on it at the moment.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »

Pretty sure Satan had Biblical origins ..... :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Just contesting the notion that Satanism could be truthfully argued to be "not a religion" and thus have no standing in any religious argument. Outside of that, I've not read up on this particular case, so I don't really have an opinion on it at the moment.

Many flavors of satanism explicitly reject theism and have no doctrine or organization.  So, not a religion.  Sort of like trying to claim one's "freedom of ruben sandwiches" when one has no rye, corned beef, saur kraut, swiss, or dressing. 

OTOH, such falls under freedom of conscience, which most have considered to fall under the first amendment.

Not sure how there is any nexus between the HL case, the first amendment, and abortion.  But, like fistful, I think associating satanism and abortion has its upsides.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
Satanists are the Open Carry Texas of the abortion debate. I'm always happy to see them vocally associating themselves with the other side.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »
Satanists are the Open Carry Texas of the abortion debate. I'm always happy to see them vocally associating themselves with the other side.

There is a South Park episode along these lines,  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »

That's odd, because I recall reading about Satan in one of the oldest Jewish documents extant. I guess I've been misinformed on the church of Rome's chronology.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »

That's odd, because I recall reading about Satan in one of the oldest Jewish documents extant. I guess I've been misinformed on the church of Rome's chronology.

Catholicism is a Jewish conspiracy.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »

So the Satanists are really Jews  ???

I guess if you don't believe in "God", it's important to choose which "god" you don't believe in  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
Is the proper noun,Satan,actually used in the ancient texts?Or is it assumed from a later edition or translation?

From what I've gleaned over the years I figure the latter is most likely.
Could be wrong.

I just wish it'd rain.
jeff w

I like onions!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
Is the proper noun,Satan,actually used in the ancient texts?Or is it assumed from a later edition or translation?

From what I've gleaned over the years I figure the latter is most likely.
Could be wrong.

I just wish it'd rain.

וַיְהִי הַיּוֹם--וַיָּבֹאוּ בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים, לְהִתְיַצֵּב עַל-יְהוָה; וַיָּבוֹא גַם-הַשָּׂטָן, בְּתוֹכָם.

Now it fell upon a day, that the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

שָּׂטָן = Satan.

Actual transliteration of the Hebrew.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Now it fell upon a day, that the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

שָּׂטָן = Satan.

Actual transliteration of the Hebrew.

That was just a misprint.  It was really Stan, the first Health and Safety Inspector.  Often confused with Satan, the Father of Lies, since they're both part of the HR Department.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
That was just a misprint.  It was really Stan, the first Health and Safety Inspector.  Often confused with Satan, the Father of Lies, since they're both part of the HR Department.

I don't know if you meant this or not, but the original Hebrew had no vowels, just the consonants STN.

So your joke is even funnier to me because you can claim it should be read as Stan.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
I liked the HR Department link.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
I don't know if you meant this or not, but the original Hebrew had no vowels, just the consonants STN.

So your joke is even funnier to me because you can claim it should be read as Stan.

Or maybe it just meant they were passing around a plate of seitan as a snack.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
Cotton is the fabric of our lives.

Satin is the fabric of pure evil.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
Cotton is the fabric of our lives.

Satin is the fabric of pure evil.

Be on the lookout for muslin militants.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Be on the lookout for muslin militants.

They're weaving their way into the very fabric of our society as we speak. Danger looms.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
They're weaving their way into the very fabric of our society as we speak. Danger looms.

This thread has become warped  ;/

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

Reaping what we sew, perhaps.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

That may be sew, but it's keeping me in stitches.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »

Because the children weft.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
Stan made me do it  :angel: