Author Topic: Trump takes on the sanctuary cities.  (Read 7160 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump takes on the sanctuary cities.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
Maybe not "as great," but still a significant drain. Never forget Western Union and Dinero en Minutos. How many billions of dollars were sent to Mexico alone last year? That's all money that would otherwise have been circulating in our economy.

Sure. I was just looking a triage. The people who would come here specifically for handouts, besides being the biggest resource drain, are also probably the most likely demographic to commit crime, so handout elimination seems like a priority (and they can work on reducing it for citizens while they're at it).

I look at this as an analogy of our current CCW reciprocity discussion. We can hope for "ideal", but if something comes along that is a big step in the right direction, you take it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Maybe not "as great," but still a significant drain. Never forget Western Union and Dinero en Minutos. How many billions of dollars were sent to Mexico alone last year? That's all money that would otherwise have been circulating in our economy.

The number I have heard repeatedly is $25 billion remitted to Mexico every year.

The number I heard for the cost of the wall is $25-$30 Billion.

A 25% tax on all those transfers pays the wall by the middle of Trump's second term.

Trump has also called for a 20% tariff on all Mexican imports. Combined with the above and it could be paid off in a year...

Meanwhile in Chicago, Mayor Emanual doubles down on remaining a Sanctuary City, and doesn't want Federal help with the murder problem.  Trump wants to use the National Guard and send in Federal Agents to go after the gangs.   Maybe someone should tell him about "Project Exile".  I think that would be much, much more effective.  And federalize gun crimes, as the state plea bargains everything down, except of course, for law abiding gun-owners that make a mistake.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170125/BLOGS02/170129899/defying-trump-emanuel-doubles-down-on-sanctuary-city-talk

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
The problem is that one amendment requires a constitutional convention. Once there's a constitutional convention, the left could pile on with a bunch of other amendments we don't want to see -- like repealing the Second Amendment.
Nope.

"The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. "

Source:   https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution

The proposal then becomes an amendment when ratified by 3/4 of the states. (38 out of 50)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
Trump has also called for a 20% tariff on all Mexican imports.
Y’all Know Who Ultimately Pays Those Tariffs, Right?

Taxing remittances back to Mexico might be the better option, although I'm not sure the logistics involved in that are feasible.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
. . . Trump wants to use the National Guard and send in Federal Agents to go after the gangs . . .
Even though the NG has been used in the past for things like riot control and disaster assistance, using it for wholesale law enforcement might raise posse comitatus issues. And . . . unless they're armed with both guns AND ammo and operating under realistic rules of engagement, they'll just become another group of victims. (If the guardsmen are issued guns but not ammo, the gangs will soon have military grade weaponry.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
Y’all Know Who Ultimately Pays Those Tariffs, Right?

Taxing remittances back to Mexico might be the better option, although I'm not sure the logistics involved in that are feasible.

Yes, I do know who pays.  However, I don't think it will get that far.  Mexico will fume and bluster, but ultimately back down.  If it does come to pass, while prices may go a bit higher, we will either buy from China or *gasp* make it domestically. 

Mexican piss beer and Tequila might be the only exceptions.   Causing economic harm to only drunks and fools... 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
However, I don't think it will get that far.  Mexico will fume and bluster, but ultimately back down. 
Back down from what, leaving NAFTA? That I'll agree with, they have no reason to. Back down from not paying for the wall? I doubt it.
we will either buy from China or *gasp* make it domestically. 
Neither of which pay for the wall.

Securing the border is a reasonable pursuit, and condensing that down to "build the wall" makes for a great slogan and easy chants for rallies. But the whole "Mexico is gonna pay for it" thing was absurd from the start and he should have dropped it long ago.
Quote from: Trump
I'm just telling you, there will be a payment, it will be in a form. Perhaps a complicated form..
I think he even knows he should back away from it now, but just can't do it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
If the $25 billion per year number for money sent to Mexico siphoned out of the U.S. economy is at all accurate (and it has been cited in enough different sources to probably be in the ballpark), a 20% or 25% tax on such "remittances" would generate more than $6 billion annually. That would pay for putting a lot of people to work building a whole lot of wall/fence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article128984759.html

Miami-Dade mayor orders jails to comply with Trump crackdown on ‘sanctuary’ counties

Immediate results.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
If the $25 billion per year number for money sent to Mexico siphoned out of the U.S. economy is at all accurate (and it has been cited in enough different sources to probably be in the ballpark), a 20% or 25% tax on such "remittances" would generate more than $6 billion annually. That would pay for putting a lot of people to work building a whole lot of wall/fence.

I agree that the remittance idea at least has potential, others aren't so optimistic https://www.cato.org/blog/tax-remittances-wont-pay-border-wall

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
Regardless, we should not be giving Mexico trade benefits with the US while we have this immigration problem (not even mentioning the drug trade stuff). 

Increased tariffs with Mexico (if kept small) wouldn't have a huge impact.  The wire transfers of money is another matter.  I hear that isn't taxed at all. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
we have this immigration problem

most of it is our problem.
It’s one thing to stress getting control of our borders. Even those who believe that immigration is a net positive for the nation agree that illegal immigration must be better policed. But cracking down on illegal immigration should mean getting our own house in order. It should mean policing all of our borders, not just the one with Mexico, and it should mean due diligence about visa overstays. Visitors who overstay their visas amount to at least half, and probably closer to 60 percent, of those entering the country illegally now. They arrive at airports, not across the Rio Grande. The great wave of illegal crossings from the south crested in 2007 and has declined steadily since. As immigration hawk Mark Krikorian noted in 2015, “Border crossings really are way down.” Well, some border crossings are way down, others not. More Mexicans cross the border heading south now than north. In other words, net migration from Mexico is negative.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
My interest in this right now is purely legal.  Mayor of San Fran was on CNN spouting off about how they will sue .gov if any funds are withheld.  I look forward to watching such a case happen.  Will a federal judge find that local governments have a right to federal funding?  Or will a federal judge laugh as the case is thrown out, ruling that cities have no right to federal funding?  Should be fun to watch (for a warped mind like me who likes law stuff).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Will a federal judge find that local governments have a right to federal funding?  Or will a federal judge laugh as the case is thrown out, ruling that cities have no right to federal funding?

That may depend on which President appointed the judge.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
most of it is our problem.

Seattle is very far from the Mexican border.  I have seen media interviews with local immigration/border personnel who state that the majority of illegal immigration in this area are people from Asia overstaying their tourist/student visas, and they all arrive by plane.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
Seattle is very far from the Mexican border.  I have seen media interviews with local immigration/border personnel who state that the majority of illegal immigration in this area are people from Asia overstaying their tourist/student visas, and they all arrive by plane.

Ok so then give them the option of either a plane ticket home or a rowboat.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
I agree that the remittance idea at least has potential, others aren't so optimistic https://www.cato.org/blog/tax-remittances-wont-pay-border-wall

So what? I'm sure one effect of taxing those "remittances" would be to significantly curtail the amount of money sent out of the United States to Mexico (and other Latin American countries). Money that isn't sent out of the country remains in the country (:duh:). I fail to see a downside in not sending billions of our dollars into other countries' economies with nothing gained in return.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »

Connecticut is pretty far from the Mexican border, too. Connecticut has a huge illegal alien population (in terms of percentage, not raw numbers), and that's mostly Hispanic. New Haven (think Yale University and you have your answer) is a sanctuary city. Danbury, CT, is notorious for having storefront operations where small contractors can drive up in the morning and "hire" workers by the day, right off the sidewalk. All paid in cash, no records, no paper trail.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
So what? I'm sure one effect of taxing those "remittances" would be to significantly curtail the amount of money sent out of the United States to Mexico (and other Latin American countries). Money that isn't sent out of the country remains in the country (:duh:). I fail to see a downside in not sending billions of our dollars into other countries' economies with nothing gained in return.
And how much of that money is the lawn guy sending money to his mother versus drug delivery mule wiring money back to his bosses. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
And how much of that money is the lawn guy sending money to his mother versus drug delivery mule wiring money back to his bosses. 
Dunno.

Does it matter? Whoever sends it, for whatever reason, it's taken out of the U.S. economy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
http://ctmirror.org/2017/01/25/ct-a-likely-target-of-trumps-new-immigration-policy/

Here's the way leftists view it:

Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen said he is trying to determine if and how Trump’s actions would affect the state.

“My staff is reviewing the executive order and gathering other information, and so we are not in a position to comment in detail at this time,” Jepsen said. “I remain committed to taking action within my authority to protect Connecticut residents whose rights are threatened by this or other actions of the Trump Administration.”

I remain of the opinion that people who are in the U.S. illegally basically only have the right to not be beaten or starved while awaiting deportation. They categorically do NOT (IMHO) have any right to be protected by the state or municipal government from being held accountable for violating federal law. I might even go so far as to argue that, since they are not legal residents, they are technically not residents at all -- they are trespassers, or squatters.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
That may depend on which President appointed the judge.

USSC will be 5-4 (at least) by the time that suit wends it way up...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
USSC will be 5-4 (at least) by the time that suit wends it way up...

Not if Chuck Schumer has anything to say about it ...

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »

There are at least 10 (IIRC) Democrat US Senators that are up for re-election in 2018 that come from red states.  Schumer can can bluster all he wants, but those senators will be reading the tea leaves and counting votes back in their home states...

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/306210-10-senate-seats-that-could-flip-in-2018

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

I've had it with Democrats blocking Trump's appointees, and potentially blocking appointment of justices. I think McConnell should just say, "Okay. Here's our nominee. No discussion or debate. We're taking a vote now, as we have a dozen appointees to confirm today".