Author Topic: Trump to Attend NRA Annual Meetings  (Read 2051 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump to Attend NRA Annual Meetings
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
I just got an NRA email that said Trump will be speaking at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum. The first time a sitting President has attended since Reagan. A coule of months ago I was bouncing around attending the annual meeting and decided not to. Kinda wish I would have gone the other way now. It would be interesting to attend an NRA meeting attended by the President. I'm sure this will put a burr under the left's saddle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trump to Attend NRA Annual Meetings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
 :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
What fistful said.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »
Does Diane Feinstein know?  This will make her love the Trumpster even more!

>:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
What fistful said.
Ditto.  

I figured the next time the annual meeting came to a nearby city, I would consider getting a hotel room and spending a couple days.  I don't know if I would attend anything, just spend 2 days going through all the tables and looking at all the gun stuff.  At the very least, I would take time off if necessary to go a couple days instead of just a single visit.

I did hear this was the first time since the early 80's that a President has been to the NRA convention.  It is a good sign to me that Trump still remembers gun owners were big supporters. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Ditto.  

I figured the next time the annual meeting came to a nearby city, I would consider getting a hotel room and spending a couple days.  I don't know if I would attend anything, just spend 2 days going through all the tables and looking at all the gun stuff.  At the very least, I would take time off if necessary to go a couple days instead of just a single visit.

I did hear this was the first time since the early 80's that a President has been to the NRA convention.  It is a good sign to me that Trump still remembers gun owners were big supporters. 

I've actually been wanting to go to an annual meeting for a few years, but I always remember just a couple of months before the meeting, and by then every nearby hotel is booked up. If I go,  I want to be able to have close (walking) access to my hotel room so I can go to stuff, take a short break if I want, then go back in without making an hour's travel time out of it. Also save on car rental if all I'm doing is hanging out at the convention.

This time I put a reminder on my calendar to check around August for where it is in 2018 and put in an early hotel reservation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
Awesome.  Hopefully he will pay attention when it comes to national reciprocarity and delisting suppressors.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
So he's going to the 2017 one in Atlanta ??

2018 is in Dallas, 2019 in Indianapolis again (I'll be going to that one)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
So he's going to the 2017 one in Atlanta ??

2018 is in Dallas, 2019 in Indianapolis again (I'll be going to that one)

I wish they would bring it to Vegas again. Nine or so hour drive for me and lots of reasonable accommodations. I'm not a Vegas guy for just visiting, but it is set up pretty well for stuff like this.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
Awesome.  Hopefully he will pay attention when it comes to national reciprocarity and delisting suppressors.

Some low hanging fruit would be eliminating the ban on firearms at post offices.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »
Some low hanging fruit would be eliminating the ban on firearms at post offices.

Yes!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »

And on VA hospital property.

Even better would be to allow carry into the buildings, but I don't expect that. But not being able to leave a gun in the car in the parking lot is a real cramp in the tail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »
Unisaw remarked,
Quote from: Unisaw on April 15, 2017, 01:39:46 PM

Hawmoon added:

Even better would be to allow carry into the buildings, but I don't expect that. But not being able to leave a gun in the car in the parking lot is a real cramp in the tail.

Beat me to it, but I would suggest "parking lots" as a fallback compromise position.  Go for the full Monty, the way the leftists do, then a compromise is a win.  Ohhhh, haven't we seen that technique used by the leftists again and again?

BTW, I believe that's the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum, not an annual meeting per se.
(^Struck per Ben's comment below.)

Terry, 230RN

REF (For General Purposes if that P.O. carry movement ever gets off the ground):

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/leadership/officers/pmg-ceo.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Governors_of_the_United_States_Postal_Service

Note there are nine P.O. "Governors" appointed by the President. Terms of the Governors are staggered to expire each year on December 8.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:37:35 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »

BTW, I believe that's the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum, not an annual meeting per se.

Terry, 230RN

Leadership Forum happens at the annual meeting. You just need to buy extra tickets to get in.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
Hawmoon added:

Quote from: Hawkmoon

Beat me to it, but I would suggest "parking lots" as a fallback compromise position.  Go for the full Monty, the way the leftists do, then a compromise is a win.  Ohhhh, haven't we seen that technique used by the leftists again and again?

Oh, absolutely go for the whole enchilada.  Officially or unofficially, parking lots were okay at my VA hospital until Obama came into office. The VA cops used to practice at the indoor range where I shoot. The range owner connected me with a captain on the campus police force, who told me as long as I left the guns in the car I was good to go, and if anyone questioned it just have them call him. But he has since retired, and post-Obama they posted signs at all driveway entrances saying that weapons (with a gun in a big red circle & slash)signs are not allowed on the property. The signs cite 18 USC 830, which happens to be the section that prohibits firearms "in" federal "facilities" -- and defines "federal facility" as a building in which federal employees are regularly present for their work. I tried to point out to one of the campus cops that the law they cite doesn't address guns outside of the buildings, and he basically copped an attitude and told me they don't care what the law says -- if they catch me they'll arrest and prosecute.

So now if I want to go shooting after an appointment, I have to leave the guns at home, go to the VA, then backtrack half an hour to home to get the guns, and then drive right past the hospital again on my way to the range.

And, of course, there are no metal detectors or security guards at any of the many entrances to the building complex, so anyone who intends to shoot up the joint can just walk in unchallenged. It's the type of law that exists only to be enforced after the fact but, if the majority of such incidents end with the shooter killing himself anyway, there's nobody left to prosecute. So only the law-abiding are being affected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »
I think for the purposes of publicity, the NRA-ILA leadership forum is pretty much the same thing as speaking at the annual meeting.  Hopefully, it is just Rah! Rah!, Go Guns! and he doesn't trip over any snares that might have gun owners over-analyzing his words. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 12:54:52 AM »
I am going to the convention and plan on attending the forum. It will be nice to see what he says since his incentives are different after we elected him. If he still says he will support us I will be more inclined to believe it.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »
I am going to the convention and plan on attending the forum. It will be nice to see what he says since his incentives are different after we elected him. If he still says he will support us I will be more inclined to believe it.

I would think that simply showing up is the most significant statement of support. Of course, if he re-affirms any specific campaign promises, that will be very important, as well.