Author Topic: Trump signs executive order to hold China accountable for actions against HK  (Read 830 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Trump signs executive order to hold China accountable for actions against Hong Kong
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-signs-executive-order-to-hold-china-accountable-for-actions-against-hong-kong

With Trump’s executive order, exports from Hong Kong will be subject to the same tariffs the White House has imposed on goods from mainland China – marking a blow for leaders in Beijing as they struggle to revamp their economy amid the coronavirus pandemic and cutting off a lucrative loophole.

The announcement from Trump also comes a day after the White House rejected nearly all of China’s claims in the contested South China Sea.

This is the executive order.  
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidents-executive-order-hong-kong-normalization/

There is more to section 4.  This is just the first part.  It is pretty broad.  Sounds like it could be used against a lot of major companies who were sucking up to China by helping them censor Hong Kong dissidents.  
Sec. 4.  All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person, of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

(a)  Any foreign person determined by the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State:

(i)    to be or have been involved, directly or indirectly, in the coercing, arresting, detaining, or imprisoning of individuals under the authority of, or to be or have been responsible for or involved in developing, adopting, or implementing, the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Administrative Region;

(ii)   to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, directly or indirectly, any of the following:

(A)  actions or policies that undermine democratic processes or institutions in Hong Kong;

(B)  actions or policies that threaten the peace, security, stability, or autonomy of Hong Kong;

(C)  censorship or other activities with respect to Hong Kong that prohibit, limit, or penalize the exercise of freedom of expression or assembly by citizens of Hong Kong, or that limit access to free and independent print, online or broadcast media; or

(D)  the extrajudicial rendition, arbitrary detention, or torture of any person in Hong Kong or other gross violations of internationally recognized human rights or serious human rights abuse in Hong Kong;
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Nice.

Xinnie the Pooh and his comrades need to be continuously kicked in the head economically.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
'bout time.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
If Trump really wanted to hurt China just shut down Walmart for a week.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Funny, I've been reading in the usual MSM sources about how Europe has been backing Hong Kong while Trump is cozy with China at the expense of Hong kong. In reality, I believe Europe has actually been following Trump's lead, as very recently, they were being lauded by said MSM for being friendly with China while Trump was being a meanie to the commies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Funny, I've been reading in the usual MSM sources about how Europe has been backing Hong Kong while Trump is cozy with China at the expense of Hong kong. In reality, I believe Europe has actually been following Trump's lead, as very recently, they were being lauded by said MSM for being friendly with China while Trump was being a meanie to the commies.

So, basically, "Orange man bad" again. This is my shocked face:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
If Trump really wanted to hurt China just shut down Walmart for a week.

And Harbor Fright Tools.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design