Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Escape Vehicle  (Read 5442 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Zombie Apocalypse Escape Vehicle
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
If this has some kind of charge generator for the downhills, I've found the perfect vehicle to escape the Zombie Horde. Now to go find a bank to rob...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blacktrail-bt-01-is-the-80-000-electric-bicycle-of-your-dreams/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Zombie Apocalypse Escape Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
Rigid ride at 65mph?  Only a 44 pound frame?

Wow.  Don't hit a pot-hole.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
If this has some kind of charge generator for the downhills, I've found the perfect vehicle to escape the Zombie Horde. Now to go find a bank to rob...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blacktrail-bt-01-is-the-80-000-electric-bicycle-of-your-dreams/

I disagree.  80 thou can buy a LOT better vehicle (and fuel) for this purpose.

Bet there's less then two grand of parts in that little toy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
I disagree.  80 thou can buy a LOT better vehicle (and fuel) for this purpose.

Bet there's less then two grand of parts in that little toy.

Bit it's the Zombie Apocalypse. I'm taking what I need, not buying it. Killjoy. :P

Though yes, $80K is ridiculous, which is why Jay Leno has one I guess. But I like the concept of something all terrain that could quickly and quietly escape the zombie horde, maneuver around all the abandoned vehicles, and have a constantly regenerating power source (which this bike doesn't have).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:49:15 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
Rigid ride at 65mph?  Only a 44 pound frame?

Wow.  Don't hit a pot-hole.

Current cyclists hit upwards of 60+ on rigid bikes that weigh as little as 20lbs.  I've personally hit 55mph, but tend to back off at 45 because I'm a wuss.

Yes, these are downhill speeds.  My fastest flatland speed is in the low 30s (30-31 for a second or so).

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »

Though yes, $80K is ridiculous, which is why Jay Leno has one I guess. But I like the concept of something all terrain that could quickly and quietly escape the zombie horde, maneuver around all the abandoned vehicles, and have a constantly regenerating power source (which this bike doesn't have).

Why do you hate Gaia Erf?

All you need is love (and a solar panel)... ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
Current cyclists hit upwards of 60+ on rigid bikes that weigh as little as 20lbs.  I've personally hit 55mph, but tend to back off at 45 because I'm a wuss.

Yes, these are downhill speeds.  My fastest flatland speed is in the low 30s (30-31 for a second or so).

Chris

I've done 53mph, off-road, back in my young and stupid years.  Almost wrapped the bike around a tree at the bottom of the hill.
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
But I like the concept of something all terrain that could quickly and quietly escape the zombie horde, maneuver around all the abandoned vehicles, and have a constantly regenerating power source

It's called a "horse".   ;)

I have several.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
I've done 53mph, off-road, back in my young and stupid years.  Almost wrapped the bike around a tree at the bottom of the hill.

Well, if you want to include uncontrolled attempts, I'm sure I could achieve some pretty impressive feats. ;)

Back in the early 90s, John Tomac hit 65mph on a fully rigid mtb in the Mammoth Mtn Kamikaze.  I don't know what the speeds are these days, but I believe courses have been redesigned to bring speeds down to a reasonable level.  With current improvements such as suspension and disc brakes, breaking 65mph that same course would be trivial IMO.

Chris

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
It's called a "horse

Yep. That would be my choice
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
Bit it's the Zombie Apocalypse. I'm taking what I need, not buying it. Killjoy. :P

Okay, I'd consider it worth 80 grand if it had an RTG capable of powering in on-board.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

I have several.   =)

But they fart in my general direction.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
Okay, I'd consider it worth 80 grand if it had an RTG capable of powering in on-board.

RTGs have horrible power density; you'd probably be better off with solar panels.  Even those aren't great.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
Why do you hate Gaia Erf?

Because the new official Ben Motto is "Take That Earth!"

=D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »
Range is a little low, speed is slower than the bike, but maybe you could put solar panels on top?  At half the price, you can add in some real serious firepower
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/tiny-armored-car-unveiled-indias-newest-anti-terror-weapon
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:20 PM »
Range is a little low, speed is slower than the bike, but maybe you could put solar panels on top?  At half the price, you can add in some real serious firepower
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/tiny-armored-car-unveiled-indias-newest-anti-terror-weapon

Someone in India has been watching episodes of "Howe & Howe Tech".  :P

Oh, and those little electrical bikes and Hybrid cars are good Zombiepocolypse vehicles only because they assume that enviroweenies/liberals/Obama voters don't have any brains.

If there's a herd of them and they get close enough to smell through the ruse, you're done for because you've got no ground clearance, or climbing or ability to run them down.

In that case, you need a liberal dousing of AXE body-spray and sport some variant of current high-school fashion. That might buy you another few minutes to make good your escape.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
But I like the concept of something all terrain that could quickly and quietly escape the zombie horde, maneuver around all the abandoned vehicles, and have a constantly regenerating power source (which this bike doesn't have).

A gunship.   Either significantly more or significantly less expensive, but it fits the rest of your needs quite well if you subscribe to abiogenic petroleum.    :angel:
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 04:49:43 PM »
For that kind of green I could get a new King Ranch 4x4 and 10,000 gallons of fuel with enough left over for a couple cases of .45 and a pallet loat of .22 LR.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
But they fart in my general direction.

Jet assisted propulsion  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »

I have several.   =)
And, if it just comes right down to it a horse is far more digestable than an electric bicycle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
I've actually thought about investing in a pack saddle, panniers, and rifle scabbards as part of our "prepping"  =|

Otherwise, we just do day rides since we have a big ranch next door.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
What if the horse becomes a zombie too?

The golfcart AFV just proves that Gecko and gunkid were thinkers ahead of their time.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
Because the new official Ben Motto is "Take That Earth!"

=D

Agreed.....when TEOTWAWKI happens, I'm burning every bit of fossil fuel I can get my hands on.....Kill the Earth Before It Kills YOU!!!!!!  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
What if the horse becomes a zombie too?

Muzzle it and you save a ton on feed?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.