Author Topic: Rain, rain, rain; will it ever stop? I hope not.  (Read 596 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Rain, rain, rain; will it ever stop? I hope not.
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »
(until June or so anyway...)

Thanking the good lord from drought country of Texas...

I made a quick trip out the the gas station to buy some survival supplies this evening (Beer, smokes, beef jerky) and I see that we are flooded!. Well as "flooded" as we've been in a very long time. Several years from my recollection.

The low spots in the pastures are full. The little gullies and ravines and the road ditches are full and flowing fast. Even the road I live on has the ditches full, and in places water flowing across the pavement draining from the one ditch to the other.  If it wasn't quite so cold Erica and I would have put on our rubber ducky outfits and gone out for some puddle-stomping.

I don't know how much rain we have gotten in the last 24 hours, 2, 3, 4 inches?

The last time I saw water flowing heavily across my road, was about 3 or 4 years ago. I remember it distinctly, because I came upon a low spot in the road and met up with a great blue heron standing in the middle of the stream flowing across the road, who didn't appear happy to see me or eager to move for the car. I stopped and looked at him for a minute, and thought to myself, "stupid bird, what are you doing in the road, there's no fish in the road?"... and then his head bobbed into the water and I saw a silvery flash for a second in the air before he swallowed. "Stupid human, what are you doing thinking you know how to tell a fisher-bird how to fish?"

Anyway, tomorrow morning would be a superb day for a wildlife photographer to hit the creek and river bottoms around here, the water birds will be at full force, fishing like crazy. We have Cranes, Herons, and a wierd looking bird called (something like) Ahinga, as well as the more common water birds like ducks, geese, etc.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Re: Rain, rain, rain; will it ever stop? I hope not.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:29:15 PM »
yeah, it's sure been interesting here since yesterday afternoon. Took an hour and a half to get home last night. Went through water so deep on Beltline the brakes got drenched, making stopping with drum brakes a very slow and anxious process. It hasn't been raining at my house since about 3ish, but they're calling for ice pellets any time now through this time tomorrow. I made a big pot of chili and cornbread; SWMBO made cinnamon rolls. I'm gonna sit here and play on the Innerweb, drink hot caffeinated beverages, and enjoy my weekend.

Incubus #2 is after me to figure out how to hook his PSP thingie to the Innerweb this weekend. He's bought a little USB dongle thingie on a cable that is supposed to connect wirelessly. If he'd have asked me beforehand I'd have directed it to the wireless router and saved him however much money he spent. Takes after his biological father, I suppse.  Doesn't think things through.

Stay on the high spots out there, Stand. Those bar ditches are full.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein