Author Topic: Palin and Brown  (Read 9513 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Palin and Brown
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
Near as I can tell, Sara Palin and Scott Brown are the same thing, politically speaking.  Both have potential as serious conservative leaders able to turn the direction of the country away from progressiveism.  You'd think the left would want both of them destroyed equally, being that both are guilty of the same "crime" and both pose the same sort of "threat".  Heck, they'd probably want Brown destroyed even more since he's the only one of the two in a position to cause a serious, immediate change in current events.

Yet Brown has been treated pretty well by the press.  No vicious personal attacks on him or his family, not much in the way of scumbag gotcha journalism, none of the other hateful things they tried to do to Palin.

Whyizzat?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Palin and Brown
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
They didn't give him a snowball's chance and/or, they didn't want to smear him thus getting his name out there and riling up those nasty *derogatory term deleted* while the campaign was on. I say wait until next week after they have their weekly planning meeting to decide what the news is.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »

Whyizzat?

He's a dude, not a chick.  

Conservative men are, basically, ho-hum and considered part of the normal (if distasteful) distribution.  Women, OTOH, are all supposed to be in lockstep with NOW, NARAL, and other such feminist groups, cause, ya know, they gots to stick together against those oppressive potential rapists men.  So a woman that has, and lives by, conservative principals is an anathma to such people, violates the laws of nature, and must be destroyed.

That and, like my pastor from Phoenix, she has kids and is supposed to be taking care of them, not pursuing her own ambitions.  And having a teen daughter that gets knocked up is just that much more proof of how bad of a mother she is for abandoning her kids.

Now, where'd that barf smilie go?

I don't agree with any of that, but sadly, that is the reason.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »
They didn't give him a snowball's chance and/or, they didn't want to smear him thus getting his name out there and riling up those nasty *derogatory term deleted* while the campaign was on. I say wait until next week after they have their weekly planning meeting to decide what the news is.

Perxcatly, we'll be hearing/reading how he stomps kittens and cooks puppies in his spare time, by Wednesday next week. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Brown is not a conservative as we normally see them.   He is a conservative by MA standards, though.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »
Brown is not a conservative as we normally see them.
Based on what?

I've heard tools like David Frum try to claim that he's not conservative, but nobody with any credibility.  Everything I've seen of Brown indicates that he's an acceptable politician.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
Based on what?

I've heard tools like David Frum try to claim that he's not conservative, but nobody with any credibility.  Everything I've seen of Brown indicates that he's an acceptable politician.

Acceptable, yes, especially for MA.  And he beats the heck out of the alternative.
However, if you do a little research you will find he is not all that conservative.  He's more to the center.  And no, it's not just Frum making those claims.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »
I thought it odd that the media felt it necessary to blur out non-nude images of his already covered genitals; as if to suggest he posed nude.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Acceptable, yes, especially for MA.  And he beats the heck out of the alternative.
However, if you do a little research you will find he is not all that conservative.  He's more to the center.  And no, it's not just Frum making those claims.
Can you cite any examples?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
Can you cite any examples?

http://www.brownforussenate.com/issues
Health Care
I believe that all Americans deserve health care coverage, but I am opposed to the health care legislation that is under consideration in Congress and will vote against it. It will raise taxes, increase government spending and lower the quality of care, especially for elders on Medicare. I support strengthening the existing private market system with policies that will drive down costs and make it easier for people to purchase affordable insurance. In Massachusetts, I support the 2006 healthcare law that was successful in expanding coverage, but I also recognize that the state must now turn its attention to controlling costs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_health_care_reform
The Massachusetts health care reform law was enacted in 2006. It requires nearly every resident of Massachusetts to obtain health insurance coverage. Through the law, Massachusetts provides free health care for residents earning less than 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL)[1], and partially subsidized health care for those earning up to 300% of the FPL, depending on an income-based sliding scale. The law is credited with covering an additional 439,000 Massachusetts residents as of April 1, 2008.[2]

The law established an independent public authority, the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority, also known as the Health Connector, which offers the subsidized coverage and facilitates the selection and purchase of private insurance plans by individuals and small businesses.[3][4] Incentives for residents to obtain health insurance coverage include tax penalties for failing to obtain an insurance plan. In 2007, Massachusetts tax filers who failed to enroll in a health insurance plan that was deemed affordable for them lost the $219 personal exemption on their income tax. In 2008, penalties increase by monthly increments, and are based on half of the cost of a health insurance plan

Taxachussetts Liberal Manifesto
Health Care Reform

All Massachusetts residents are required to maintain health insurance. Health care reform works to improve the cost and quality of health care.

Commonwealth Connector

The Commonwealth Connector can help you learn more about the health care reform law. The Connector administers two programs: Commonwealth Care and Commonwealth Choice. Commonwealth Care connects uninsured individuals with incomes that fall within certain guidelines, and who meet other qualifications with approved health plans, and helps them pay for them. Commonwealth Choice offers private health insurance options for individuals, families and employers.
      Mandated Health Insurance law

Key provisions of the law include subsidized health insurance for residents earning less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level, and low-cost insurance for all other residents who are not eligible for insurance through their employers.
      Health Care Quality and Cost Information

Here you will find information about the quality and cost of health care provided in Massachusetts. This site can be used as a tool to help you select a provider based on what is important to you.
      Health Care Reform Tax Information

Those who cannot show that they have health insurance in 2008 will have to pay a penalty on their Massachusetts income tax return. Non-compliance penalties will increase for 2009.
      Health Insurance Responsibility Disclosure (HIRD) Information

Massachusetts employers of 11 or more FTE employees must also disseminate and collect an Employee HIRD form from each employee that declines to enroll in employer-sponsored insurance or declines to use the employer's Section 125 Cafeteria Plan to pay for health insurance. The employer must retain the signed Employee HIRD for a period of three years.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »
Brown hit the headlines too late for opposition research to do its thang.  Rest assured dweebs are at work sweeping up dirty to which we will all be treated at some opportune time in the future.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
Meh.  If I was a politician in MA I'd vote for that health care bill too.  MA isn't the kinda place where you'll ever get enough political support to do health care right, so you'd be wise to take what you can get.  In this case they managed to get insurance exchanges, open pricing and competition among providers, and they avoided forcing everyone into a government plan.  That last one alone is worth the price of admission given the climate they're working with.  Yeah, it's ugly, but is that Brown's doing or is that simply the result of MA being one of the most liberal states in the country?

Brown ran (and won) on true conservative principles.  No nationalized health care.  Lower taxes.  Less spending.  Federalism.  Real national defense.  Transparency and accountability.  No porkulus bills.  Border security.

At this point I don't see any reason to doubt the man, and lots of reasons to be comfortable with him.  Time will tell.

Brown hit the headlines too late for opposition research to do its thang.  Rest assured dweebs are at work sweeping up dirty to which we will all be treated at some opportune time in the future.
Hmm, yes, I believe this explains it.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
He's a dude, not a chick.  

Conservative men are, basically, ho-hum and considered part of the normal (if distasteful) distribution.  Women, OTOH, are all supposed to be in lockstep with NOW, NARAL, and other such feminist groups, cause, ya know, they gots to stick together against those oppressive potential rapists men.  So a woman that has, and lives by, conservative principals is an anathma to such people, violates the laws of nature, and must be destroyed.

That and, like my pastor from Phoenix, she has kids and is supposed to be taking care of them, not pursuing her own ambitions.  And having a teen daughter that gets knocked up is just that much more proof of how bad of a mother she is for abandoning her kids.

Now, where'd that barf smilie go?

I don't agree with any of that, but sadly, that is the reason.

I stand by my original assessment, but I dunno how I forgot this. You can't be a female republican in this country without being attacked as a tool the man's machine, nor can you be republican and/or successful as a black person without being "white really." Strange how some think that genetic traits entitle them to en bloc votes.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
Well, Brown is fairly capable as a national politician so far - ran a campaign, got elected, and didn't claim that questions like "so what do you read?" were hardball ambushes.

Palin, on the other hand, is political dead weight - but there are some people who will find any reason to explain how what she's doing is a smart thing.  That was true during the campaign snafus, that was true when she resigned as governor, and it was true when she went to Fox news.  None of those things did anything but help impact the boulder that seals her out of the mountain of national politics.  But for her fans, every decision is a smart one.

Brown is a different story.  So far he's showed some talent at the game.  I'm not sure about his policies, but he does know how to play national politics...not that it's a skill that should matter; it's just one that does matter.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
Doesn't square.  If Palin is inept and irrelevant, they wouldn't spend so much effort trying to take her down.

There are still people out there who attack Palin at every opportunity.  That tells much.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
Doesn't square.  If Palin is inept and irrelevant, they wouldn't spend so much effort trying to take her down.

That's because she's a backwoods hick with a nice face and figure, and all the stupid men in this country will vote for her just because of that. She's such an alluring siren that the media, Shootinstudent and others like him need  to keep reminding us what a colossal mindless bimbo she is so we don't go tripping over our wedding tackle to give her any elected office where she could damage the country. We need serious minds like "Hairplug Joe" Biden to keep this country on track.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
Both are schilling for McCain.

Neither are interested in truly conservative candidates, in a state that would easily elect a conservative candidate, especially with their voices behind a good conservative.

McCain's in an uphill fight against Hayworth, and Hayworth hasn't even officially announced yet.

But... both of them are supporting McCain.  Despite probably being "in the know" that JD is coming out to run as we approach the primaries.

That tells me A LOT about their desire to fix the country rather than merely gain power or stay in the limelight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
Ya can't fix the country by being politically inept.  (Insert obligatory Ron Paul crack.)  

Campaigning for McCain is an effective strategy for turning short term temporary political capital into long term influence that can be used later when it really counts.  

Think of it as the political equivalent of investing for the future.  It's no fun right now, but it's still a good idea.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
Ya can't fix the country by being politically inept.  (Insert obligatory Ron Paul crack.)  

Campaigning for McCain is an effective strategy for turning short term temporary political capital into long term influence that can be used massive budget deficits and across the aisle reach arounds to pass unConstitutional laws which will morally and fiscally bankrupt the United States of America and leave the country flat broke (actually, flat broke would be an improvement) later when it really counts.  

Think of it as the political equivalent of investing for the future throwing money in the toilet.  It's no fun right now, but it's still a good idea and will be even less fun for our grandchildren.

There, now it all makes sense.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »

There are still people out there who attack Palin at every opportunity.  That tells much.

It appears to be mainly for ratings.  High television ratings don't mean you have a future in politics.  Witness the Tiger Woods/Michael Jackson phenomena.  Tiger Woods got it every day in the news for a while there; that doesn't mean he had a future in office.

I don't think Palin is as unsophisticated as she's made out to be.  She clearly is incapable of handling a national campaign is all.  Not cut out for it; maybe Fox television is a better line of work for her.  That remains to be seen.

An electable Presidential candidate she is not.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
She will definitely not be electable if we don't support her, no?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
Depends who you mean by "we".

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
It appears to be mainly for ratings.  High television ratings don't mean you have a future in politics.  Witness the Tiger Woods/Michael Jackson phenomena.  Tiger Woods got it every day in the news for a while there; that doesn't mean he had a future in office.

I don't think Palin is as unsophisticated as she's made out to be.  She clearly is incapable of handling a national campaign is all.  Not cut out for it; maybe Fox television is a better line of work for her.  That remains to be seen.

An electable Presidential candidate she is not.

Palin is trying to destroy herself to get higher ratings?  That doesn't square with reality, either.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Palin is trying to destroy herself to get higher ratings?  That doesn't square with reality, either.

You're not smoking the right stuff, HTG.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
She will definitely not be electable if we don't support her, no?

That's true, but she definitely won't be electable even if every APSer does vote for her.  She's done too much damage with that series of terrible interviews, the quitting, and now this.

HTG,

Review the quoted portion from you.  I was referring to why she gets so much attention in the media.  Having people spend all day blasting her on television isn't a sign that she's got good prospects for election.