Author Topic: The UN and shotguns?  (Read 1950 times)

takhtakaal

The UN and shotguns?
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:46:05 AM »

This guy is a Portuguese MP (At least I think he's "M") standing guard in East Timor, holding something that I thought was verboten? I get confused with the "do we honor the Hague Convention or don't we, and, if so, which one?" conversations that I see on boards from time to time. One might think that if anyone were to honor something like that, it might be them?

Nice color on that uniform and vehicle, too ... *whop* *whop* *whop* *whop* ... [ducks head].

cheesy

HankB

• friend
Re: The UN and shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:15:45 AM »
Shotguns have been used in warfare for a LONG time - they were even made up special (with bayonet lugs!) for US forces since WWI.

Shot cartridges were issued for Thompson SMGs used in the Pacific during WWII.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

takhtakaal

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:20:19 AM »
Right. I'm familiar with the idea of shotguns in warfare -- that's why they call them "trench guns."

My point is the complete fog around the Hague Convention, what the signatories have really agreed to, and if a shotgun is within the realm of a weapon that it would find acceptable. And if not, why is the UN with their "twisted pistol" carting them around?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:44 AM »
Shotguns have been used in warfare for a LONG time - they were even made up special (with bayonet lugs!) for US forces since WWI.

And the Germans made a huge fuss about the trench brooms being "inhumane".  smiley

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »
I think the prohibition only applies in combat.

Pretty much everyone has ignored most of these conventions when it is convenient to do so.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The Viking

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »

And the Germans made a huge fuss about the trench brooms being "inhumane".  smiley
I seem to remember some fuss about those long, nasty, saw-toothed bayonnets issued (to engineer corps?). Apparently those who carried those were shot on sight by the Germans...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:12:45 AM »
Shot cartridges were issued during WW II not for the Thompson, but for 1911s. They were part of survival gear to be used for subsistance food gathering but were not to be used for defensive purposes.

The shotgun is not prohibited by the Hague Conventions.

No German carrying a sawback bayonet was ever shot.

The Germans threatened to shoot Americans captured with the shotgun, the US threatened to shoot Germans captured with the sawback bayonet.

The Germans ended up withdrawing the sawback bayonet, but the US never withdrew the shotgun.

Americans used shotguns extensively in Vietnam where they were good for jungle fighting. Few were used in Korea. Shotguns were also used in Gulf War I and are still being used in Iraq, especially in urban areas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »
As was explained to me by our JAG, back when I was paid by Uncle Sam, Shotgun/rifle/whatever doesn't really matter.  You can even turn AAA on infantry and you're good-to-go as far as treaty obligations.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:43 AM »
Shot cartridges were issued during WW II not for the Thompson, but for 1911s.
Regardless of what Ordnance thought, they were used in SMGs for use in exceptionally dense jungle at extremely close range; they appeared in the PTO in quantities far beyond "aircrew survival" needs.

A burst from a Thompson loaded with these and the bushes - and any Jap immediately behind the bushes - basically melted.

I still have one round my Dad brought back - the "bullet" is a red, cardboard-like material formed into a rather blunt round nose shape. (I'll have to see if it will fit in a 1911 mag.) Dad also told me there was another type of round also, with a longer-than normal brass case . . .

After an initial flurry of excitement, the less than sterling reliability (the cardboard tended to split) and lack of stopping power with only small increases in range caused these to fall out of favor with the troops.

Some sources say these were intended as "riot cartridges" for the Thompson SMG. I suppose being peppered with birdshot when someone opened up with an SMG (presumably somewhere out beyond point-blank range) would discourage rioters.

This from the same guys who introduced poison gas into WWI . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:19:44 AM »
I can't see why anyone would use, or try to use, shot cartridges in a Thompson.

First, the shot is very small, on the order of No. 6. In dense jungle cover it would be virtually useless past a few feet, if that. It would be a worse choice than straight ball ammo. Even shotguns loaded with buckshot had limited range in the jungle due to the heavy leaf and brush canopy, but within that range gave better chance of a hit with less chance of the brush deflecting the projectile.

Second, they will not function the action of either a 1911 or a Thompson -- in neither gun will the rounds, upon firing, eject or cycle the action enough to pick up a new round out of the magazine. In other words, there's no ripping off a magazine or two of these shot cartridges unless the firer does so manually.

Third, feeding these rounds through a magazine is, at best, an iffy proposition. They were designed to be single loaded into the 1911. Survival kits contained a box with, IIRC, 12 rounds of ball and 12 rounds of shot ammo.

CCI's .45 ACP shotshells are very close to the military shotshells of WW II, both dimensionally and ballistically.

There was a shot cartridge developed for the Thompson for use in riot control prior to World War II, IIRC, the early 1930s. However, this was not the basis for the military's shot cartridges during the War. Shot size and power was quite a bit different, and there's no indication that these cartridges were ever considered for distribution during the war. In fact, I'm fairly certain that they had been out of production for a number of years by the time the US entered the War.

OK, Phil Sharpe says Peters developed the riot cartridge for the Thompson in about 1922.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
I saw a video on u-tube recently about an automatic shotgun.  Drum fed, 20 rounds or 32 rounds.  Even fires a sabot that is a mini frag grenade.  The sabot has fold out fins for accuracy when the grenade leaves the barrel.  Weapon has little or no recoil due to the design.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
You know what would be cool?

A long necked cartridge that holds a 3-piece bullet... Either three long/skinnies or three short/fats... No accuracy, but one heck of a lot of firepower inside 100 yards... I wonder how far you'd get three long/skinnies spreading at 50 yards? Sabotize the suckers, and I bet they hold together longer...

Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
You know what would be cool?

A long necked cartridge that holds a 3-piece bullet... Either three long/skinnies or three short/fats... No accuracy, but one heck of a lot of firepower inside 100 yards... I wonder how far you'd get three long/skinnies spreading at 50 yards? Sabotize the suckers, and I bet they hold together longer...
Back when the M14 was still the standard service rifle, the Army experimented with "Duplex" rounds - two spitzers, with the back one's nose nested inside the hollow base of the front one. They separated after firing, and when fired at a target, tended to form a central group a couple of inches in diameter with the other rounds forming a "circle" around them, a foot or so (?) out.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »
UN shotguns fire PEEPS? and other soft, tasty, marshmallow treats.

smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
Maybe it's loaded with bean bag rounds lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.