Author Topic: Suitcases WITHOUT wheels? Do they still exist?  (Read 5516 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Suitcases WITHOUT wheels? Do they still exist?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
I ordered one of these; paid an extra $5 to get it here tomorrow:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G03S57Q

I would have rather had the regular version instead of the "junior", but that didn't qualify for Prime shipping.
If I roll/fold everything up tightly enough it ought to be big enough.  If not, I'll use a gym bag or duffel instead (or just wear all my clothes, and peel off a few layers on the plane)

That looks like a good alternative for carry on.  The backpack straps would make carrying it through the terminal much easier.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
The convertible backpacks are pretty slick. In the days before roller luggage, I bummed around Europe for a few months with an REI one after they first came out. For an excursion like that, where you might be walking, backpacking, hopping on trains and ferries, etc., they're probably a better choice than just about anything else, just for the versatility. 
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
What is this "carry-on" vs "checked" luggage of which you speak?  I make no such distinction when I travel!

"Checked baggage" is the stuff that goes in the trunk with the tools and gas cans.  "Carry on" is the stuff in the passenger seat where you can get to it during the drive.

The main difference is that when you have the mandatory flat tire during the drive, "checked baggage" will have to be arrayed on the ground while you get the spare out and the flat tire in.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
The main difference is that when you have the mandatory flat tire during the drive, "checked baggage" will have to be arrayed on the ground while you get the spare out and the flat tire in.

Not where my spare is stored...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »

Yes, the wheeled suitcases are a little heavier than if they didn't have wheels, but why anyone would want to carry a suitcase around when you can wheel it is beyond me.

Stairs.  Crowds.  Potholes.  Curbs.  Puddles.  Cobblestones.  Traffic.  Escalators.  Any task requiring two hands.  And heaven help you if a wheel jams or the handle breaks.

Give me a proper shoulder bag or backpack any day.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Stairs.  Crowds.  Potholes.  Curbs.  Puddles.  Cobblestones.  Traffic.  Escalators.  Any task requiring two hands.  And heaven help you if a wheel jams or the handle breaks.

Give me a proper shoulder bag or backpack any day.

That's why they have these things called "handles". Kinda new-fangled so you might not be familiar with them...  :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »
Vestigial appendages.  Barely worthy of the name.  Them things on rolling bags ain't real handles.   :laugh:

I tried to like rolling bags.  I really did.  I found that I spent as much time carrying 'em as I did rolling 'em.  And carrying a rolling bag just sucks.  I figure if you're gonna have to carry your bag, better get one that's made for easy carrying.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
My American Tourister set ( sourced from boutique luggage provider Wal-Mart) has good handles. Webbing straps wrapped in some kind of heavy pleather that are easy to grip, wide for comfortn and sturdily double-riveted to the bag. The carry-on sized bag is my go-to for weekend trips. It gets used often since I visit my folks at least once a month. It's been through the Ramp Monkey test five or six times, too. At almost ten years old it's still in great shape and completely functional.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB