Author Topic: Leaf Blowers/Vacs  (Read 1986 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
Leaf Blowers/Vacs
« on: February 15, 2007, 03:26:11 AM »
I am appealing to the APS knowledge base here.

I need a gas-powered blower vac.  I have sort of narrowed it down to the Husqvarna 225BX, the Stihl SH85D, or the Echo ES-210 but I am not opposed to looking at or others.

Pros
Husqvarna - I found one for $180 online.  Pretty good price and Husky quality.
Stihl - Local Stihl dealer that I can go to.  No additional attachments to buy.  It's a Stihl...what else can I say.
Echo - I can get the ES-210 at Home Depot and there are no attachments to buy.

Cons -
Husqvarna - CR rated the 225B (not BX) and it was pretty poor.  I still have to buy a separate vac kit for it for $30.
Stihl - Most expensive of the three and some reviews say it performs so-so.
Echo - There is a more powerful model, the ES-230, but I don't know if I can get it locally.

I have .5 acres of which .30 is covered with trees so I have a great deal of leaves to deal with every year.  I raked this past fall and don't want to go through that again.  Right now, I need something I can use to clean out all my flower beds with.

Anyway...what are your thoughts and experiences?

Greg

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Leaf Blowers/Vacs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:36:06 AM »
Personally, I like Echo stuff.  But - I haven't used their blowers.

-Nick

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:59 AM »
I own a lawnservice company, and we use nothing less than Shindaiwa or Redmax products. 

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/blowers/index.php

http://catalog.redmax.com/MyCart/ProductListing/7/Blowers.aspx

If you have a powerful mower, consider buying a set of Gator blades for it.  Blow the leaves out from around your house, fence, and tree trunks, then mulch 'em to dust.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:15:42 AM »
I own a lawnservice company, and we use nothing less than Shindaiwa or Redmax products. 

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/blowers/index.php

http://catalog.redmax.com/MyCart/ProductListing/7/Blowers.aspx

If you have a powerful mower, consider buying a set of Gator blades for it.  Blow the leaves out from around your house, fence, and tree trunks, then mulch 'em to dust.

What DD wrote.  Collecting & bagging leaves is not worth my time, when I can chop up the buggers in situ.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »
Well, I have a mulching mower now and it doesn't do squat...that said, I don't have the Gator blade so maybe that will help.

karlsgunbunker

• "Doin what I can with what I got" - Burt Gummer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 06:22:09 PM »
I used to own a Troy Built chipper vac. I had a small yard with lots of leaves (live oak and oak).
I bought the smallest model and was very pleased with the result.
It chipped branches and mulched the leaves very well.
For your size property I would reccomend one of the bigger models.
Mine worked like a champ and the warrenty is very good.
KGB
01FFL   $15 Transfers in the Indianapolis Area
All Firearms at Dealer cost + Actual shipping and Transfer Fee.
Contact me for a quote before you buy.
"Doin what I can with what I got." Burt Gummer

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »
Very non-PC reply to that question I overheard in a restaurant one time.

"What do you use for a leafblower?"

"A Mexican."

This followed by a frantic shushing.  grin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »
I bought the Echo from Home Depot last fall.  I've been very happy with it...works great on flower beds, deck, and garage.  Last fall was about the least painful one I've had since buying a home. 

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 01:51:44 AM »
I ended up with the Stihl.  So far, no complaints...working excellently.

Greg

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
Three good brands. I own something in Stihl and Echo and have been please happy. OTOH, CR rating is a strong endorsement. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them.

Bob
Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:07 PM »
I bought an electric model. I've had bad experience with small gasoline motors.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »
I've got a 100 X 200 lot.  22 Oak trees.  I know about leaves, ok?  I have had every tool known by man; blowers, vacs, mulchers, back pacs ad nauseum.  None of them are ideal.

I have a Husquevarna riding mower, YTH 150 Automatic.  I purchased the Cyclone Rake.  It hooks up behind the Husky.  Google Cyclone Rake.com for info.  This machine is the berries.  You sit on your behind and it picks up everything.  It has a hose attachment so you can suck up leaves in difficult places around the house or in flower beds.  When you are finished, it collapses down, the engine comes off on its own wheeled carriage, store the hoses etc.  Takes up almost 0 space when taken down in a matter of minutes.

Trust me, this machine I should have found 20 years ago.  Worth every penny and then some.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 03:48:37 AM »
I bought an electric model. I've had bad experience with small gasoline motors.
I absolutely HATE extension cords.  I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with them.  That said, that's why I opted for the most reliable small engine made.  I swear I started it on the second pull on Saturday and it was 40 or so degrees out.  My Weedeater and Toro???  Yeah, right.  I'd be pullin' and fiddlin' for 5 minutes.

I have a Husquevarna riding mower, YTH 150 Automatic.  I purchased the Cyclone Rake.
I don't have a rider nor could I use it if I did in my yard.  I bought the leaf vac for my flower beds specifically.  I have pine straw mulch and it's damn near impossible to get the leaves out with a rake and leave the mulch behind.  The rest of the yard will just continue to get raked until I can buy a new push mower with a bag for next fall.

Buckeyenomad

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »
I just replaced my 17 year old John Deere which was made by Echo.  I used the thing a lot.  Bought an Echo from a local dealer. IMO it's worth it to buy from a servicing dealer should you ever need help.

Steve