Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Bratwurst

<< < (2/6) > >>

K Frame:
I'll either simmer them in beer or in apple cider and then onto the grill to crisp up.

grampster:
I just put em on our covered grill, but keep an eye on them.  I use tongs and flip them as they brown on the grill side.  Johnsonville brats get a bit curved but if you use tongs you are able to brown all 4 sides while cooking them without splitting.  Brats cook rather quickly and you need to watch them.

charby:
I preheat my grill, toss raw brats on, get a good sear, drop the heat and finish grilling. Sometimes I wrap them in foil on a plate if not eating them right of the grill.

I don't poke them or parboil them first, never had one blow up. I get most my raw brats from various meat lockers.

Only time I precook brats is if I want white skinned stadium beer brats. I cook in cheap heavy beer, like Bud or Pabst and onions at 180 degrees until the brats are done. 180 F keeps the casings pliable like boudin. I cool and refrigerate the whole pot over night. Next day I fish the brats out and warm up the beer and onion juice. I grill the brats and serve them on a toasted hoagie with German mustard and the onions from the beer boil.

charby:
From the land of cheese, beer and brats.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/life/food/2020/05/21/best-brats-grilled-without-parboiling-says-wisconsin-food-scientist/3115473001/

bedlamite:

--- Quote from: Big Hairy Bee on June 19, 2020, 06:14:43 PM ---I put them in a pan with beer, onions, and green pepper and cook about 1/2 through or around 130 degrees.  Then I finish them on the grill.  I then finish them in by topping with the onions, peppers, and grainy mustard on a butter toasted bun.  Dude, now I'm hungry!

--- End quote ---

^This is a man that knows how to cook brats. 

Many years ago we had taste tests regularly using several different brats and beers. The brat brands were personal preference, but everybody liked them cooked in Blatz over several other beers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version