Author Topic: Western Civilization and Other Fairy Tales  (Read 6530 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Western Civilization and Other Fairy Tales
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:33:28 AM »
Western Civilization and Other Fairy Tales
The sad story of the decline of historical sensibility.

By Jonah Goldberg

My daughter really, really, really (throw in a few more reallys for accuracy) wants to go to Disney World. Scouting reports from several of her preschool colleagues indicate that there is a large amount of princess activity down there. And not just princesses  real princesses. Shes seen fake Cinderellas and Ariels  the royal equivalents of shopping mall Santas  but now shes focused on engaging the real thing, and shes been told that Disney World is where they hang their tiaras. So one day, probably very soon, well be heading to Florida to meet the real princesses who, despite presumably lavish wealth, charge parents $200 a day or more to take our children to meet them.

I just hope that while were there, Daddy can have some fun, too. For instance, I would love to meet the real Winston Churchill.

You do know Churchill was make-believe, right? That, at least, is what nearly a quarter of British teens recently told pollsters for the British TV channel UKTV Gold. Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sherlock Holmes was real, and 47 percent called Richard the Lionheart a fictional character.

This is one of those news stories that pop up with some regularity, highlighting how ignorant people on both sides of the Atlantic are about their own civilization. Its a slightly more scientific confirmation of Jay Lenos man-on-the-street Jaywalking segment, in which he asks passersby brainteasers such as, Where was the Vietnam War fought? or, When did the War of 1812 take place?

A survey of teenagers conducted by the National Constitutional Center found more students able to name the Three Stooges (59 percent) than could name the three branches of U.S. government (41 percent). A 1999 survey of students at 55 elite colleges and universities found that 40 percent couldnt place the U.S. Civil War in the correct half-century. Given that the U.S. hasnt been around for five half-centuries yet, I wonder how many guesses these students needed.

The civic ignorance of the American public is an old lament, a standby for finger-wagging, chin-pulling pundits like yours truly in need of column fodder. And its probably true that it was ever thus, to some extent; that the masses never had much use for historical dates and names. Though if you read letters written by soldiers during the Civil War, its hard not to suspect that cultural literacy has been trending southward for a long time (unless, of course, you think the Civil War only happened recently).

But here I get back to my daughter. She is a barbarian, or at least she was when she was born. And I mean this fairly literally. Political theorist Hannah Arendt once said that, every generation, Western civilization is invaded by barbarians  we call them children. Todays babies arent meaningfully different from those born 1,000 or 5,000 years ago. A Viking baby magically transported to 21st-century America might grow up to be an accountant or a bus driver. A baby born today and sent back in time might become a Hun, Visigoth or Aztec warrior, whatever his parents expected of him.

Families are civilization factories. They take children and install the necessary software, from what to expect from life to how to treat others. One hears a lot of platitudes about how children are taught to hate. This is nonsense. Hating comes naturally to humans, and children are perfectly capable of learning to hate on their own. Indeed, everyone hates. The differences between good people and bad resides in what they hate, and why. And although schools and society can teach that, parents imprint it on their kids.

As a conservative, Im a big believer in the importance of tradition, which writer G.K. Chesterton dubbed democracy of the dead. But tradition can only be as strong as it is in the people who pass it on. And so, when I read that 23 percent of British teens think Winston Churchill is no more real than Spider-Man, it makes me shudder at the voluntary amnesia of society, the wholesale abdication of parental responsibility that represents.

Civilization, at any given moment, can be boiled down to what its living members know and believe. This makes civilization an amazingly fragile thing, and it makes parents the primary guardians of its posterity. Indeed, someone once told me that those who cannot learn from history are condemned to hear George Santayana quoted to them for the rest of their lives. Of course, that jokes only funny if youve heard of Santayana in the first place.

Now, because even my daughters minor joys are my greatest ones, I will gladly fork over large sums of money so she can dine with fairy-tale princesses. I will even play along. But she is only 4, and Ill only be pretending.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tecumseh

• friend
Re: Western Civilization and Other Fairy Tales
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
Indeed, someone once told me that those who cannot learn from history are condemned to hear George Santayana quoted to them for the rest of their lives. Of course, that jokes only funny if youve heard of Santayana in the first place.

History makes it abundantly clear no one learns from history.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:31:43 AM »
If humanity had a longer memory, we'd already have nuclear fusion, have terraformed Mars and Venus completely, and be on our way to nearby stars. Computers would been invented before the 12th century. The Antikythera Mechanism was made in 80 BC...how many thousands of years did it takes us to figure that out again, once we'd forgotten? Galen and other surgeons had precision steel surgical instruments and boiling-water sterilization in Roman times, but we forgot that till the late 1860's.

As it is, we keep forgetting and repeating things, advancing in jerky rachets upward with the occasional drop back to near the bottom.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »

I got eighty percent...I find it depressing that that is so much above average, as I am in no way a particularly intelligent individual, and never paid attention in History classes.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:44 AM »
Indeed, someone once told me that those who cannot learn from history are condemned to hear George Santayana quoted to them for the rest of their lives. Of course, that jokes only funny if youve heard of Santayana in the first place.

I disagree.  Some folks in some places do learn. 

Our founding fathers claimed to stand on the shoulders of giants--those who had gone before them in W Civ.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »

I disagree.  Some folks in some places do learn. 

Our founding fathers claimed to stand on the shoulders of giants--those who had gone before them in W Civ.

Well, we borrowed a hell of a lot from the Romans. Their Republic, their symbols, their Latin mottos...

...and in the 19th century, even their architecture. American 19th century architecture in cities, especially brick buildings with keystoned windows, were dead ringers for Roman Insulae, which were up to nine stories tall with shops on the lower level.

However, that was only possible through records. Western civilization fell after the Romans and Greeks. The Dark Ages were a long period of squalor and superstition before the Renaissance. And even that, while it brought back the arts, did not bring back the knowledge of medicine and hygiene that the earlier civilizations' upper classes had. People were filthy and suffered from unscientific quack medicine till nearly the 20th century.

That's one of the things people really don't think about. For most of history, humanity STANK. It was only classical civilizations like the Egyptians, Romans and the like in the West where the upper and middle classes valued hygiene, bathed with olive-oil soaps and would have been tolerable to be around for someone of today!

Eastern civilizations like China never really fell, but that's an entirely different story.

The Viking

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

I got eighty percent...I find it depressing that that is so much above average, as I am in no way a particularly intelligent individual, and never paid attention in History classes.
I scored 70. I think most of my misses where those relating specifically to US history.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »

)   The Constitution of the United States established what form of government?
A. Direct democracy
B. Populism
C. Indirect democracy
D. Oligarchy
E. Aristocracy

This question is incorrect as far as answers. C should be "Constitutional Republic". Democracy was a dirty word until FDR came along...

I got 83 percent. Yeah, not knowing much about US history would definitely hurt- but you probably did pretty well, Viking, in regards to the test.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »
You answered 56 out of 60 correctly  93.33 %
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Viking

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »

A. Direct democracy
B. Populism
C. Indirect democracy
D. Oligarchy
E. Aristocracy

This question is incorrect as far as answers. C should be "Constitutional Republic". Democracy was a dirty word until FDR came along...

I got 83 percent. Yeah, not knowing much about US history would definitely hurt- but you probably did pretty well, Viking, in regards to the test.

I'd say I did outstanding compared to the average in the article (about 50% right), considering that they atleast in theory had US history. The stuff I knew, I've picked up on my own. Imagine if I'd actually had US history in school.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
I thought we wanted our schools to emphasize "real world skills," rather than this faggy liberal arts nonsense?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 01:05:52 PM »
Huh. 75%. Not as good as I would hope, but not bad, considering that my school taught "social studies", rather than American history, and my last class of this sort was n 1990...
Guess I need to work on that. although, looking at my answers marked incorrect, they were mostly the ones I went back and changed from the correct answers..
Interesting...
Hi.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
I thought we wanted our schools to emphasize "real world skills," rather than this faggy liberal arts nonsense?
I think what we want is for schools to teach kids to think.  Skills like mathematics, vocabulary, reading, and writing help do that.  A basic understanding of history can help develop that also IMO.  Knowing what has been done before can give you a good idea of the possibilities for the future. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
You answered 57 out of 60 correctly  95.00 %
Average score for this quiz during February: 68.4%
Average score since September 18, 2007: 68.4%

Answers to Your Missed Questions:

Question #19 - C. philosopher kings.
Question #36 - D. The authority of a legitimate sovereign.
Question #60 - B. social security

Hmmmm... Better than I thought I'd do though I did figure on around 85% or so.

But then I am a semi-old fart and went to school when school actually meant learning.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Strings

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Fjolnirsson...

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
Huh. 75%. Not as good as I would hope, but not bad, considering that my school taught "social studies", rather than American history, and my last class of this sort was n 1990...
Guess I need to work on that. although, looking at my answers marked incorrect, they were mostly the ones I went back and changed from the correct answers..
Interesting...

My "social studies" classes were 4th and 5th grades in 1984-86 along with 9th grade in 1987. I recall during the 5th grade, Cousin Gunny asked me about my subjects and I mentioned social studies... he was like "what's social studies". Mom had to explain the difference being that they combined history, geography, a couple of other subjects since they were in school. Being that I was geared to look stuff up when different subjects came up, I didn't really lack in American History either.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
What drives me nuts are the kiddies who get an A in something, but when asked about the subject, know nothing... Until you move it into the context of the classwork... Then it clicks. It's like they have the knowledge, but they are incapable of having it mesh with the real world.

Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »
They haven't reached the correlation stage of learning.  That's the most difficult stage; it takes time.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »
But then I am a semi-old fart and went to school when school actually meant learning.

What's changed since you went to school, specifically? How much do you actually know about a high-school curriculum in this day and age?

What did the schools teach "back in the day" that are no longer widely teached - which facts or which methodologies are missing?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »

A. Direct democracy
B. Populism
C. Indirect democracy
D. Oligarchy
E. Aristocracy

A republic is a form of indirect democracy.  As is a constitutional republic.  If you have any form of democracy that involves someone acting on your behalf at the people's choosing, that is an indirect democracy.  Ie, if you elect anyone to any position to rule on your behalf, you have an indirect democracy.  We do not have a direct democracy.

Technically D is partially correct too.  The people for instance do not elect the president.  The wonderful Electorial College does.  Now I wouldn't exactly want to be the Electorial College if they strayed too far from the popular sentiments, but it still exists. 

86.67 % and I'm a history nut.  I'm actually kinda depressed that I did so badly.  I do admit, I've always been bad at memorizing dates.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
You answered 45 out of 60 correctly  75.00 %
Average score for this quiz during February: 68.8%
Average score since September 18, 2007: 68.8%

Ouch.  Although, honestly, nothing that surprisrising for me--I'm not a good history student.  How I squeaked out a 4 on the AP US History exam is still a mystery to me, my teacher, and every single person I took that class with.  At least the stuff I learned I retained--most of the questions I got wrong were things I had literally never heard of (I did not do well on anything relating to economics, shamefully.)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »
Well, in the area where I went to school, we had to learn problem solving at an early age... Farming and all that... So it drives me nuts when I see an 18 year old kid who just LOOKS at something that's -almost- broken, and -can be saved- from being broken if he just actually does something.

For that matter, why, in Bob's name, would someone drive five miles on a freakin' flat tire, when they KNEW it was flat, had a cell phone, a wal-mart handy, and family inside that five miles...

Sigh...

Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
You answered 55 out of 60 correctly  91.67 %

I dispute one or two of the answers it says were wrong.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »
Well, in the area where I went to school, we had to learn problem solving at an early age... Farming and all that... So it drives me nuts when I see an 18 year old kid who just LOOKS at something that's -almost- broken, and -can be saved- from being broken if he just actually does something.
That has nothing to do with schooling. We live in a white-collar, information-heavy society, with a consumer economy driven by cheap and easy replacement. Being able to 'fix things' - manual labor - is not as valuable a skill today as it was 20, 50, 100 years ago.

And in any case, was most likely taught in the family rather than at school - but now dad's an IT worker and mom's a lawyer, rather than a farmer/factory worker and a housewife.