Author Topic: I think this makes Round Seven  (Read 2997 times)

Trisha

• friend
I think this makes Round Seven
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »
Kathryn's getting scheduled for back surgery.  She has two blown discs (the second cortizone proceedure did little) and now has rapidly advancing spinal cord involvement in decreasing function in both legs.  There's no loss of muscle yet.

So, once more into the breach. . .

She does have the finest in a medical team, trust me.  Final presurgical scan series should be in a week, and they're fast-tracking her.

And once this is done, she gets knee replacement.

(sigh)

With the systemic duress her back is presenting, arthritis is taking off like wildfire.

I'm finding some comfort that this isn't the life-threat of her heart condition - but . . .

Cumulative memory seems to be biting her.  She's tired.  And it tears to see her ability to function and cope wane.

I just thought you should know.

Thanks.
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
Trisha,

Thank you for sharing. I will continue to send my best to Kathryn and you.

Kathryn - ya know, you keep this up and Trisha and the rest of us are going to wrap your butt in bubble-wrap and peanuts, stick you in cardboard mailer...

"Dear Sir / Madam

Please send estimate to refurbish in like new condtion.

Regards,

Trisha"

Whups..sorry!  I am kidding of course.  

Steve

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »
I guess I missed the beginning of this story but give my best to Kathryn and to you too of course. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
Kathern had serious heart problems that required a unique heart surgery. Really touch and go there for a bit.

Then she has had a run of other medical problems one right after another. All thru all of this - a real trooper, remarkable recoveries , and wears out Trisha just trying to keep up with her.

Family.

Trisha knows many of us consider her and Kathryn family.   Just Trisha has such a way with words ...in PMs this here Southern Boy [me] has to look up some of them eloquent words.

Tongue

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:58:21 AM »
(quietly)

No OEM replacement parts for either of us - and if there were, I'd bet there are many who would be far more deserving (the young, the truly promising, etc).

There aren't any regrets for the choices we've made that have brought us to having hallmarks of active lives (occasionally coloring outside the lines in broad swaths, admittedly) - it's the unexpected wild curves that snagged and drew blood.

sm, I'd hate to see what the up-front fee just to get the estimate would run!

Kathryn's going to take herself off Rescue's run schedule this weekend.  Crews make sure she's not lifting patients, but walking's just getting too difficult this past week.

We go on - so many are in far more dire, acute straits.  It helps to post, though.

truly.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48:57 PM »
My thoughts are with you and Kathryn.

Please keep us informed.
Don

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »
Hey Lady!

Nice to see you, Long time.  Thoughts, prayers, love & light to you & K.

Ben/Fig

Chris

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
To echo Figs sentiments, it is nice to hear from you again.  Unfortunate that it isn't under better circumstances.  for what it is worth, my neighbor has had both the back surgery and the knee replacement as result of a horrific car crash (ask me why I dislike drunk drivers...), and she's doing very well.  In fact, she's up to jogging on a treadmill 1 year later.  Hope things go this well for you, and the cellos continue to play for you both.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:43:24 PM »
Hi Kathryn and Trisha,

I had been wondering about how things were going since the surgery back yonder.
As one who's had his butt kicked a few times, medically, in the last year, I can appreciate the moods that reality engenders.  One day at a time, savor the good and little things.  You've both been in my prayers for a long time now, and still are.

Warm regards,

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:59:46 PM »
Just tell everyone her name is Katerina, and you're trying to install the requisite number of American parts!  Wink

She's lucky to have you.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
I hope it all goes well with y'all.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 02:54:29 AM »
Good luck to both of you.  I know several folks with aftermarket parts.  They may not be up to OEM standards, but are better than the alternitives.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 04:07:15 AM »
As one with +40% of my discs degenerating quickly and bone spurs on more than 50% of my vertabrates I can feel for her.  
Prayers sent.
Brian
<><
:)

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 07:43:55 AM »
Thanks, truely.

Aftermarket parts are most certainly better than going without, and they have come a long way since they debuted on the market!

Time to get after chores.

The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well!

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 08:04:36 AM »
An EMG and another MRI to compare the changes are next: in the past week both of her legs have become numb, rubbery at best.  There is little strength in them and little volitional control beyond a shuffling walk.  Both feet have become as cold as refrigerated meat, and typically have no sensation.

She has acute bilateral sciatic pain in her hips, and a cold, numb, roughly circular area centered around L3-L5.

We met her new neurosurgeon yesterday.  The man definately has his lights on, but could well be the real-life Dr. Remoray as played by Joey Tribbiani (sic) - I had to struggle to keep my composure - and later, over lunch, when I mentioned it to Kathryn, peals of laughter!

"I swore he looked familiar, I couldn't place him, though; but I won't be able to look at him the same again!"

It was good to hear spontaneous laughter from her.

So, we have a developing plan, and reasonable confidence in the new guy.

It's another day.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »
Trisha,

Why the "new" neurosurgeon?

I have some similar symptoms to a lesser extent but different causitive factors and am informally gathering information for when the current conservative treatment becomes ineffective.

I'm keeping you two in my thoughts.
Don

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 07:44:12 AM »
Think specialization; akin to Darwin's finches, I suppose.  Their expertise seems to have some overlap, facilitating communication, but each has a unique performance.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »
OK, thanks.
Don

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 08:25:59 AM »
(sigh)

Here's the update:

Yesterday, Kathryn had a discogram (lumbar) and an anomoly was discovered that answers puzzling questions about the diagnosis: her spine has S1 and S2!  It never fused!  That explains everything (after having five needles inserted into discs and said discs sequentially inflated. . . she's in pain today, but she was specifically requested to be in the lead ambulance for the procession by Emily's family).

The plan now is to get her scheduled for having at least the last three vertebrae fused ASAP - perhaps next week, OR scheduling permitting!

For the interim, she's on a variety of pretty powerful painkillers & anti-inflammitories.

Being a steady and patient support for her makes me grateful for the good home-roasted coffee we enjoy, believe me.

Listening to the challenges our guys are having to deal with at Emily's funeral (I couldn't begin to function in a crowd of thousands) as news vultures try and crash the premisis; the deputies' collective, determined courtesy in keeping them away is admirable (and then some - I'd likely kick someone in the shins. . .)

(sigh)

We never close.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
My thoughts are with you both.

As I told my mom when she had both hips replaced, "ask for the ones with the bionic powers". Smiley
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 06:24:38 PM »
Trisha,

I'm proud of the whole community of Bailey coming together as you did.  It could have been a lot worse.

Training...  It paid off this time for sure.

Give Kathryn our best.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 07:17:15 AM »
Emily?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »
Emily Keyes.  Platte Canyon High School.  The Flume online.

Answers are there.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »
News vultures, not being able to get at the events, have apparently been making up details...at least the local friends had a pretty distorted idea of the events from the TV news.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
My thoughts are with you all. I be sure to include a few random acts of kindness to my daily affairs. Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!