Author Topic: NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver  (Read 4123 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
Not even a traffic cop, but a plainclothes guy, apparently on a power trip. Recorded by the driver's fare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SGSrGmHsT8s
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: NYC Cop Loses it With Uber Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »
That is not atypical for Noo Yawk police officers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
That is not atypical for Noo Yawk police officers.

It oughta be. Even as a dumb teenager being pulled over for doing stupid stuff, I never remember any cops yelling at me or otherwise belittling me. Of course I was never pulled over in NYC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
Does that "supposed" cop even have a uniform on?
So he harasses someone that has witnesses right in the back seat? Its bad enough anyone could be getting that on tape.
I think I would have rolled up the window and called 911 to report an cracked out maniac trying to get into my car.
If the cops don't know that guy there is a good chance the responding officers will have him on the ground quick.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Road Rage. Plain and simple. Of course, being an ossifer, he gets to play it out.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
Road Rage. Plain and simple. Of course, being an ossifer, he gets to play it out.

He's used to getting it to play out, but with it hitting the internet and getting some media attention, it may play out differently this time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
He's used to getting it to play out, but with it hitting the internet and getting some media attention, it may play out differently this time.

This one actually made it to MSM prime time with Wolf Blitzer. So yeah, I'm guessing this guy is kicking himself.

I just like how he had the nerve to tell one of the passengers how the driver was holding him up from getting to his destination. If the cop had just shutp and wrote the ticket, they would have been on their way a good while before.

When it's a plainclothes guy pulling someone over for a traffic violation, you can bet it's gonna get ugly. Those guys usually shine on that stuff, at least when they see it happen to other people. This happened to him, so he got a bit of the road rage, it looks like.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
This was discussed a bit on one of the FNC shows - the guy yelling at the driver IS a cop - a detective, working with NYPD's Homeland Security division.

They made comments that this is just ONE bad cop - who has been removed from duty - but he was defended by at least two other NYPD cops; IIRC one was a spokesman for NYPD, the other may have been a union rep. (So . . . I'd say there are at least THREE bad NYPD cops involved with the story, if not the incident itself.)

Oh, and an FNC commentator - either a current or former NYPD cop himself - said the detective wasn't screaming at the cabbie, he was just talking loudly:rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
I would counter him by saying that the moment you say ****ing this or that, and start slapping and throwing stuff, the level of voice makes no difference.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
Oh, and an FNC commentator - either a current or former NYPD cop himself - said the detective wasn't screaming at the cabbie, he was just talking loudly:rofl:

I remember some old TV show: a guy's wife told him to stop yelling and he replied, "I AM NOT YELLING!  I AM SPEAKING IN A NORMAL NOO YAWK TONE OF VOICE!!"

So maybe the commentator had a point.   ;)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
Unreal. I've encountered some real jerk cops, but none have ever talked like that. They at least knew enough to stay within certain bounds.

Cops today should assume that they're going to be recorded.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
 A Cop's real duties aren't tough enough, aholes like this have to make sure that the public views them with fear and loathing.  Got it, thanks for clearing this up.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »
That accent alone makes me want to throat punch him. Holy crap is that obnoxious.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
The City of Noo Yawk is not very happy with Uber for circumventing the official licensed cab system in the city...this incident may be part of that...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:02:33 PM »
People like that do not have the intelligence or self awareness that would lead them to the understanding that the only thing protecting them from getting shot in the face or bludgeoned to death on a daily basis is a thin veneer of civilization.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
When did plain-clothes cops make traffic stops and write citations?

Do like the local jackwagon who decided to light me up for using my horn to alert him to the fact that he was trying to merge into my driver's-side door.  He sat behind me and called for a uniformed officer who listened to both sides of the story and then called for a supervisor to come and take the jackwagon off the road for inappropriate behavior.

Yes, every once in a while the stars do line up just right.

But seriously - write the citation and get on with your business, or get a uniformed officer there to write the citation.  I'm sure NYPD uniformed patrol cops would just love to hear a 10-33 call and find out on arrival it was for them to write a citation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »

But seriously - write the citation and get on with your business, or get a uniformed officer there to write the citation.  I'm sure NYPD uniformed patrol cops would just love to hear a 10-33 call and find out on arrival it was for them to write a citation.

stay safe.

"Am I being detained, or am I free to go?"

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
When did plain-clothes cops make traffic stops and write citations?

I've seen it a few times. With the last one I saw, the plain-clothes cop getting out of his unmarked was chewing gum and walking with a scumbag swagger (think Al Pacino in "Heat"). He just reeked of attitude. I'm sure that motorist had a bad day.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
This was discussed a bit on one of the FNC shows - the guy yelling at the driver IS a cop - a detective, working with NYPD's Homeland Security division.

They made comments that this is just ONE bad cop - who has been removed from duty - but he was defended by at least two other NYPD cops; IIRC one was a spokesman for NYPD, the other may have been a union rep. (So . . . I'd say there are at least THREE bad NYPD cops involved with the story, if not the incident itself.)

Nothing says securing the Homeland like writing traffic tickets. Their meter maids are now part of the anti-terrorist squad, and of course get special hazard pay for it.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:19:09 PM »
The City of Noo Yawk is not very happy with Uber for circumventing the official licensed cab system in the city...this incident may be part of that...

A lot of big cities are upset with Uber for that.  They had this nice protected market that is getting upset by unregulated competition.  Might as well try to wheel a food cart into the Airport to compete with the food vendors there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
A lot of big cities are upset with Uber for that.  They had this nice protected market that is getting upset by unregulated competition.  Might as well try to wheel a food cart into the Airport to compete with the food vendors there. 

The taxi licensing scheme is pretty much the same thing as racketeering, the police are the enforcers.

Cut through all of the copsucking and 9/11 hero BS, and the NYPD doesn't look like much more than a street gang or mob that happens to have spiffy uniforms. Their antics over the last several years hasn't proven them otherwise.

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:39:15 PM »
An interesting article on why Uber has won the taxi wars and no it is not a rick roll link.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/johanabhuiyan/its-already-over-and-uber-has-won#.lcMxWWv8K
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »
An interesting article on why Uber has won the taxi wars and no it is not a rick roll link.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/johanabhuiyan/its-already-over-and-uber-has-won#.lcMxWWv8K

In short, they manage to provide such a superior service, despite various articles that seem to imply that Uber isn't checking it's drivers so, horror of horrors, your driver might be a sex offender or serial killer*, that said customers are willing to grass-roots campaign on Uber's behalf.

Sounds a bit like Telsa, but on a larger scale.

*Never mind the numerous, numerous incidents involving Taxis and that Uber gives you the easy ability to rate a driver at 1 star, and if they go below 4.2 stars, they're fired.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »
I made use of uber a few times when we were up in boston a few months ago.
Uber excellent, the one taxi we took did not even know where paul revers house was. I had to look it up on my phone and give him the address. It was only 5 blocks away, I just did not realize it.

People "taxi drivers and politicians" were complaining about uber here in NJ.
Funny thing when you actually dig NJ makes you have more insurance for a car, than a legal taxi in NYC.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).