Author Topic: Honda to resurrect the "trail 90" in a new CT125 called a "super cub scrambler"?  (Read 4395 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Oh, and Honda, please to bring back the Big Ruckus.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/378144/ct125-concept-shows-in-tokyo/

The concept officially was presented in Tokyo this week.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Unfortunately $4k is an "inexpensive alternative" these days. I figure the CT125 will be somewhere in the Monkey/Cub/Grom price range ($3400-$4000). The only lower-cost options are the Metro and Ruckus in the mid $2000's. Even the lowly Rebel, the very essence of Budget Beginner Bike, is $4500-ish.

That's pretty sad, but it's just a factor of inflation (I guess). In 1986 (IIRC), when I was going through a divorce, I bought a new Honda Nighthawk 450 (a real motorcycle) for $4,000.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Mid-sixties I had a Kawasaki 50cc JTRL, which I can't find on the net, but it was like a regular motorcycle, but smaller.  I bought it just in time since my car crapped out and I had to drive wife to work on it until the car was fixed.

Had an oil injection system so you didn't have to mix fuel and a large sprocket for trail use.  Oil injection was adjustable, but nevertheless, the thing fouled plugs all the time.  There was even a compartment in it for a spare plug and, I believe, a plug wrench.

Changing the sprocket for street / trail use was a bit of a pain.  There was a length of chain with quick-detach links for the larger sprocket.

Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun and even after I got the car fixed, I put a lot of miles on it tooling around the Boulder Colorado environs.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have followed some additional links, the result of which is that American Honda dealers are being told to prepare for this new bike, and are asking them to comment on what price would move the most bikes, within the range of $ 3500 to 4000.  Honda may have an announcement on this at the upcoming LA Auto Show.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
When I was in the Navy, I had a Kawasaki "Grasshopper", great little "around town/base" bike.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
The original ones were very off-road trail capable as well as street commuter bikes.
My dad and his brother each had one. Auto clutch and high low range tranny, spare fuel canister. We rode those things through all kinds of gnarly places. My cousin showed up one time in deer camp with a 6 point buck on one. He had it's neck strapped to the handle bars and its butt strapped to the rear rack and he was saddled up on top of the whole thing. He had come down off a mountain and firebreak like that. Late 60s or early 70s

Holy crap. That deserves it's very own country-western song.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Holy crap. That deserves its very own country-western song.

Ayup.  I can almost hear the play on words between "deer" and "dear."

Me go now.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
I have followed some additional links, the result of which is that American Honda dealers are being told to prepare for this new bike, and are asking them to comment on what price would move the most bikes, within the range of $ 3500 to 4000.  Honda may have an announcement on this at the upcoming LA Auto Show.
This is good news but wish it was about $1k less
What we have here is failure to communicate.

griz

• friend
Mid-sixties I had a Kawasaki 50cc JTRL, which I can't find on the net, but it was like a regular motorcycle, but smaller.  I bought it just in time since my car crapped out and I had to drive wife to work on it until the car was fixed.

Had an oil injection system so you didn't have to mix fuel and a large sprocket for trail use.  Oil injection was adjustable, but nevertheless, the thing fouled plugs all the time.  There was even a compartment in it for a spare plug and, I believe, a plug wrench.

Changing the sprocket for street / trail use was a bit of a pain.  There was a length of chain with quick-detach links for the larger sprocket.

Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun and even after I got the car fixed, I put a lot of miles on it tooling around the Boulder Colorado environs.

Terry

Not sure if this is the one you were thinking of, but I remember seeing these back in the day.  This one has the "street" sprocket on it.  They were closer to conventional motorcycles that the Honda Tail 90s, but still small and light.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Looks my "Grasshopper" except mine was Green.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Not sure if this is the one you were thinking of, but I remember seeing these back in the day.  This one has the "street" sprocket on it.  They were closer to conventional motorcycles that the Honda Tail 90s, but still small and light.

I know it's weight-inefficient, but I love the scrambler-esque look of the dual rear suspension, and the open and pass-thru frame appearance.  That just looks like a fun bike to ride and own.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
Thanks to this thread and a faulty google I have spent the last hour looking at Kit versions of a STOL Piper.

Now I want a plane.

Me too. Super cub with a 180 in it would be fine.  Plus a cabin on a rise, with a nice meadow next to the river, with a hanger, and an air strip, put the dirt track and rifle range nearby.