Author Topic: Red Squirrels Going Ape-Stuff This Season  (Read 1410 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Red Squirrels Going Ape-Stuff This Season
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
I've spent an equal time in Connecticut and New Hampshire over the past few months, and the red squirrels have been driving me crazy this season.  Down in CT there are two of them who are constantly fighting over my friend's backyard.  Some days they fight all throughout the daylight hours.

When they're one or two trees away from each other, they'll chirp every two seconds or so for at least 45 minutes at a time.  If one wanders closer than that, they'll go into full chatter mode, which sounds like a teakettle at the brink of boiling.  These little suckers are loud.

Both locations are too suburban to take the desired route, and down in CT even using a pellet rifle could result in a visit from the cops (too much risk of being spotted by passers-by).  At this point I'm almost ready to go buy a slingshot and practice up.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Red Squirrels Going Ape-Stuff This Season
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »
Blow gun.
Quiet and effective.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »
High explosives. 

Effective, just not quiet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
My parents had a number of squirrels in the yard until some hawks started coming around.  Either they got eaten or they stay out of sight better these days.  Might try a falcon or something.  Smiley

(corrected some spelling.  Smiley )
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »
I had a similar problem and checked with DEP. In CT, if you have a hunting license and it's squirrel season, you can take them on your own property with an air gun. Naturally you must be aware what is beyond your target and that no pellets will get loose and cause injury or damage downrange. Muzzle velocity must be at least 1000 fps or the damn pellets will just injure and not kill them in most cases. A precise head shot is the best method. In CT you can hunt on your own property regardless of how small it is but must not run afoul of local firearms ordinances. Airguns are legal in most towns but check with yours. I know Rocky Hill has a ban on them. I can go to Hoffmans and by a full auto machine gun but not an air gun. Strange world we live in.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:37 AM »
Thanks for the information but my friend's landlord has returned from vacation and I've lost my chance for vengeance.  Fortunately the weather will take care of the problem soon enough.

BTW, I'm currently in Glastonbury and probably moving to Bloomfield next month.  Where the heck do you go shooting around here?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
Hey, you're one town over, I live in Hebron. I'm the RO at MSI in Manchester every Monday night 5:30 - 7:30. 281 Garden grove St. indoor pistol range, lead and plated only, no jacketed, no magnum loads.  You're welcome to come check the place out and shoot as my guest if you'd like. I'll either be in port #4 or behind the desk with the sign on it that says "Range Officer".  grin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
Cool!  I will definitely stop by and say hello, but I have a stupid question about the ammo types you listed.  When you say "jacketed" ammo are you only talking about JHP or is FMJ verboten as well?  If so, how is plated ammo different from FMJ (bonded core or something)?

I need practice with my Beretta as I have a range qual coming up for my new job, so I'll gratefully take advantage of your offer if I can.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 12:48:03 PM »
All jacketed, jhp and fmj are not allowed. The test is if you can take a knife and easily gouge your way through the copper to the lead then it's plated, if you can't then it's jacketed and can't be used at the range. Reason being the jacketed stuff produces buzz saw like remnants that have been known to come back at the line and can cause injury. Both Hoffman's and Newington gun exchange will have plated ammo. Just make sure it says plated or lead on the package cause them dummies have been known to sell people jacketed even though they asked for plated! There's nothing I hate worse than turning people away because a gun shop sold them the wrong stuff.  sad

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »
wait... 280 lives in the UK?

Did not know that...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
nuh uuhhhh... CT in the good ol US of A! We have a Manchester, go figure...  cheesy

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »
Rat traps are great for squirrels. I used to use them around my office were I could not shoot them.
(ps make sure you tie down the traps)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »
nuh uuhhhh... CT in the good ol US of A! We have a Manchester, go figure...  cheesy

No. You have "Manchestah".  grin
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:03 PM »
280, I've got to go sign a lease on a new apartment tomorrow night, so I won't be at the range.  I would still like to stop in and say hello sometime.  As far as shooting, however, I'm not thrilled about buying plated ammo when I have hundreds of rounds of FMJ in the closet.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 09:15:36 AM »
Yea, we get that a lot. Not a problem. Stop in any monday night 5:30 to 7:30. I'll be there. Let me know you're coming and I'll bring some of my own stuff. Do a search under ct gun ranges and see what comes up, I THINK there's one in Glastonbury but I know theres a few different ones that are not far from there. Andover is supposed to be good. There's Blue Trails in Wallingford. Mattabasset in Berlin is another. There's also a Hartford Gun Club but that one is pricey. I also belong to East Windsor Sporstmans club, Great outdoor range, reasonable dues.