Author Topic: NFL player learns that he won't need a translator in London.  (Read 3511 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: NFL player learns that he won't need a translator in London.
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 06:21:46 AM »
He's making fun of the press, baiting them over thier own biases over race and professional atheletes.

He was in the National Honor Society at the University of Florida.  laugh I think he knows what language is spoken in London.

Really? I thought the National Honor Society was a high school thing. Admittedly it has been a very long time since I was in high school, but I've never heard any mention of the NHS beyond grade 12. 

Maybe he was just joking.  AJ Dual couldn't possibly be that stupid.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
We are the size of Wyoming, with a population of 60 million plus. We have at least as many regional accents/dialects as you guys do, so some people might have trouble.

Newcastle (Geordie accent): Way-aye mon, AH'M GANNING dAN THah TOON,!

I rest my case.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »
Well, why can't you all just learn to speak English?!   angry

smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »
Yeah?

Well, our Wyoming only has 500,000 people living there.

That makes it infinitely superior.  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 07:03:53 AM »
I've talked with some English folks on the telephone, and I would say that you definitely do need a translator  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
Some of their accents may be pleasing, but I fink cockneys sound retarded.

Don't hold back Len, tell us what you really fink.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 05:17:43 AM »
I'll tell you what, we will learn to speak English, when you learn to spell English. Tongue

Colour Tongue
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 05:30:50 AM »
He's making fun of the press, baiting them over thier own biases over race and professional atheletes.

He was in the National Honor Society at the University of Florida.  laugh I think he knows what language is spoken in London.

Really? I thought the National Honor Society was a high school thing. Admittedly it has been a very long time since I was in high school, but I've never heard any mention of the NHS beyond grade 12. 

Maybe he was just joking.  AJ Dual couldn't possibly be that stupid.   cheesy

You're right, it's his high school in Atlanta. http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/roster/playerBio.asp?docid=18150  As his own official Dolphin's bio attests.

And not joking, nor stupid, just forgetful.  grin I can't remember what the equivalents are called in College. Even more embarrassing, I was in it due to my 3.8 I maintained my freshman year at the University of Wisconsin.   Don't worry, it went downhill for me fast from there. Maybe that explains things. cheesy

(Ahhh yes, Phi Eta Sigma& Google is my friend.)

IIRC reading up on this, (I need to find a credible cite) he maintained a 3.5 at the U of FL, granted that might be a "football program 3.5". However, I still say he's pulling the press' legs big time here.

And besides, even if you are the stereotypical sub-literate idiot athlete, how could you not watch 20 odd years of TV and movies and not know London is in England, and English is spoken there? People going into brain-lock when confronted by Jay Leno and a camera don't count.

It just does not pass the smell test.
I promise not to duck.