Author Topic: after market cruise control  (Read 1206 times)

griz

• friend
after market cruise control
« on: October 26, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »
Are there good ones?  I noticed they have versions that are specific to a car model, and that sounds better than the cheapo-one-size-fits-all type I have seen in the past.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: after market cruise control
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Back in the day, my dad ordered a generic one from JC Whitney for $50.  It hooked on to a vacuum hose.

It worked fine with no problems for ten years until we sold the car.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
I put an Audiovox unit on my Shadow years ago. Worked just fine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »
Wow...

A Whitney vacuum controlled cruise control...

I cleaned out my parent's basement early last year. It had been Grandma and Grandpa's house since 1943...

I found a Whitney cruise control from the 1960s that my Grandfather had installed on a series of cars in the 1960s and 1970s.

When he started buying cars that had cruise control standard, he stowed the old one in the box in the basement. The man never threw anything out.

I DID throw it out. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »
Is it for a newer vehicle?Sometimes the conversion is as simple as adding a few factory parts & re-programming the computer.

Aftermarket could be cheaper though.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »
In 79, I bought a brand new Datsun 310GX. It didn't come with cruise control, but I could have added it for about $500.  shocked It was bad enough that I added AC from the dealer (I was in Va Beach at the time). The cruise control I purchased for like $100 was easy to install, but there was one problem with it. I discovered on my way out to San Diego, that when going up and down hills, it oscillated speed a LOT. I never did figure out whether or not it was the underpowered 4 Cyl or just a fluke in the cruise control. IF one can find a junked factory installation, I would probably recommend that route.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »
I put a Sears-brand unit on a '67 Mustang. Worked fine. This particular one needed the old-style skinny turn signal stalk to mount to, so that's something to watch out for.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »
Is it for a newer vehicle? Sometimes the conversion is as simple as adding a few factory parts & re-programming the computer.

It's for a Toyota Echo.  The problem is the factory didn't offer CC on that model as far as I can tell, and they quit making them a couple years ago.  The units I've seen on line look "factoryish", so I'll go that route.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
Check aftermarket parts/customizers for a cruise control. They also have things like alarms, fog/auxiliary lights, audio, etc. We saved over $500.00 by getting an aftermarket installed instead of a factory cruise control.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
My father put an aftermarket cruise control on an '85 S-10. Worked just fine. Replaced the factory windshield wiper/turn signal stalk, I think. Looks just like a factory one, compared to my '91 S10 Blazer and '92 Astro van.

Honestly, I don't use the CC, though.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 04:28:20 PM »
Avenger, I wouldn't have a vehicle without one !! That's how much I use mine. Using one saves gas and helps   me reduce tickets.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »
I think I got mine (audiovox, see above) for $99... no stalk, just a little control pad. The actuator was pretty big though, I hid it under the battery tray. Had a cable that ran up to the throttle linkage, lucky for me the existing brllcrank had a second attachment for what would have been the factory cruise.

Connections were vacuum, 12V, ground, brake light, and tachometer. They're really kind of simple, all it does is keep the incoming signal (RPM) constant by changing the actuator (throttle), and cut off if the brake light comes on or the signal changes too fast.

Kinda wish I had one on my truck, but it wouldn't work... with my tiny engine and the long hills around here I'm shifting too much.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »
Got cruise on my truck, but I almost never drive it 'cause it only gets 18mpg.  SWMBO has cruise (and everything else including GPS) on the Prius, but I never drive it.  The cruise control on my Toyota Echo is on the south end of my right leg.  grin

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 05:02:26 PM »
I find a big improvement in mileage using cruise control on road trips. Living in a city I rarely use it.