Author Topic: Nothing like getting your car totaled to make your day.  (Read 1723 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Nothing like getting your car totaled to make your day.
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
About 4:00 this afternoon an elderly lady ran a stoplight and totaled the Vic.  She was going the speed limit - 45 mph - and hit it square on the front quarter panel, spinning me around into a truck crossing the intersection from the other direction.  I was lucky, though.  She was in a small SUV and hit me  on the heavy end of the car, forward of the center of gravity.  All it did was spin the front around, the sheer mass of the Vic and the resulting rotation absorbing a huge chunk of the impact energy (enough to deform the entire body of the car, creasing it aross the roofline beginning at the B-pillar).  If she'd hit a foot or two farther back it would have pushed the car straight sideways, transferring most of the energy into the passenger compartment.  All I have is a little soreness in my midsection from the sudden sideways shift and a bruise on my wrist where it hit the steering wheel. 

The driver of the SUV was subject to a full frontal impact.  She was injured pretty badly.  She was dazed and only partially responsive when they loaded her into the ambulance.  Hope she's okay.  Being that her light had been red for at least 20 or 30 seconds, no skid marks, and by all accounts she hit me going the speed limit, they're suspecting she might have had some kind of underlying condition that cause her to blatantly disregard the light.

I'd just done a ton of preventive maintenance and 100k service stuff to the car.  It was ready to rock and roll for another 100k.  I wouldn't have any trouble finding another one, but it definitely won't be as well maintained as mine.  That's going to suck greatly.

I suppose it's off to fight with her insurance company tomorrow.  I have to get something arranged because we're supposed to go to Breckenridge on Wedsday... in my car.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Nothing like getting your car totaled to make your day.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
Glad you're ok, and sorry about your car.

I had a similar incident back in 2001.  I had just bought an immaculate 1991 F-150.  A kid ran a red light at 45 mph as I was turning left and put the front end of my truck in the passenger seat.  I walked away with bumps, bruises and a few friction burns.  Had anyone been in that passenger seat, they'd have been cut in half.

That truck was showroom perfect with a 2 inch stack of maintenance records.  After trying for weeks to find a similar replacement (and failing miserably), I bought a new F-150.  Still angers me to this day.

By the way you're going to be really sore tomorrow, and probably for the next 3-4 days.  =|

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »
Good thing you're OK.  The car can be replaced.  You are a little harder.

I got T-boned in 1999 while in college.  Lady pulled through an intersection and hit me as I went by.  The brush guards on her Jeep ripped open the rear quarter panel on my '92 Civic like a can opener.  I suddenly found myself facing south in the northbound lanes of a highway leading out of Prescott, AZ.  I was pissed when her insurance decided to repair the car rather than total it.  I even had a new car picked out (2000 Subaru Imprezza wagon).  I was not happy when I had to get my deposit back from the dealer.  Kept that damned Civic for another 8 years.
Formerly sumpnz

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
Must be the day for Crown Vics to get smacked.  I had to detour around an accident tonight involving a Vic and an older Ford Ranger.  Looked like the Vic won, but neither one was in great shape.  Looked like the Vic t-boned the Ranger.

Sorry to hear about your car.  Sucks to have taken pains all those years, and then watch it all disappear.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
I'm glad you're still among us.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
I wouldn't have any trouble finding another one, but it definitely won't be as well maintained as mine. 
Maybe PTK can sell you his.  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
That sucks man, hopefully she has good insurance and you are ok!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
Welcome to the fun rides.  Glad you came out with relatively minor owies.  Do be sure you get them looked at both "right away" and "after a while" to make sure nothing niggling lingered until it was the most inconvenient time to flare up.

As you are probably aware, it is not a good idea to settle with the insuraqnce companies (yours as well as hers) too soon.  I'm still holding mine at bay about resolving the medical claims 3 1/2 months after the Element was turned into an Isotope.

After the initial inconvenience and anger subsides, remember to hold on for the real inconvenience and anger that comes with the discovery that there is never going to be another one close enough to your old ride to make up for the inconvenience and anger.  You may also find you get pissed off about it on a recurring basis.

On the other hand, nothing major on you seems to have been bent, folded, stapled or otherwise mutilated.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »
I'm still holding mine at bay about resolving the medical claims 3 1/2 months after the Element was turned into an Isotope.

Okay, that's just damned funny... =D

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
Glad you're ok, and sorry about your car.

This ^^

Good luck finding a replacement.

Being that her light had been red for at least 20 or 30 seconds, no skid marks, and by all accounts she hit me going the speed limit, they're suspecting she might have had some kind of underlying condition that cause her to blatantly disregard the light.

Like being asleep or not paying attention?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
Okay, that's just damned funny...

Well, you've still got a sense of humor. That, or you're delusional.

You're very lucky, too.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
Glad to hear you're okay, but I'm sorry about your car.  Those are such just-plain-good cars that I'm always mad when a nice one gets taken out of service :(

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:52 PM »
Well, you've still got a sense of humor. That, or you're delusional.

Well, according to most people...

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:15:27 AM »
Don't worry, you'll probably get a couple hundred for it - you know, NADA wholesale  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
Glad to hear you're okay.  Unfortunately, the major suck part is about to begin....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.