Author Topic: Truck tire inflation  (Read 3204 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Truck tire inflation
« on: August 15, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »
So, I recently bought the first truck I've ever owned, an F250.  The third time I used it, one of the rear tires had a blowout.  The tires had plenty of tread, and were about one year old.

So I got a replacement tire, and drove it home.  When I got home, I decided to check tire pressure, since I wanted the back two tires to be at roughly the same pressure.  Results:

New tire: 42 psi
Old rear tire: Off scale, estimated 80 psi
Front left: 55 psi
Front right: 60 psi

Now, I've only ever had cars; and in my cars I run the tires between 32 and 40 psi.  The sidewalls say that max weight (3042 lbs per tire) is achieved at 80 psi, but I don't run a lot of weight in the truck.  Someday, I might move some heavy machinery, but the normal load is under 500 lbs.

Questions:
  • Can anyone recommend an inflation pressure? 
  • Is there some kind of chart that compares tire psi with load weight? 
  • Would running a tire at it's maximum pressure, lightly loaded increase the chance of a blowout? 
  • Should all tires be inflated the same, or should the back tires be inflated more?

Thanks!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Truck tire inflation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:19 AM »

[Jamie from mythbusters voice]  Well there's your problem.....[\voice]

RTFM,  [grin, sorry] i.e.  Check in the owners manual for recommended pressures and/or the tire itself. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »

[Jamie from mythbusters voice]  Well there's your problem.....[\voice]

RTFM,  [grin, sorry] i.e.  Check in the owners manual for recommended pressures and/or the tire itself. 

Tire states maximum pressure and weight limit.  Couldn't find a recommended pressure.

And I'm fairly sure that the truck didn't come with an owners manual.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:24:35 AM »
Check inside the drivers door, though that will probably be a high rear pressure. I have an F250 too. Mine states  (I think) 60/75. When I got it from the dealer, it was 50 all the way around (I'm told they do this for the appearance of a "smoother" test drive. I settled on 65 all the way around. I do short trips (like under 20 miles) with up to a ton in the back. Tires always look okay. If I were hauling every day, or long trips, I'd probably go closer to 75 in the back.

I started a topic like this about a year ago here. Try and search for it -- I had several responses I believe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:53:42 AM »
Most tires say on the side something like 'max load 2500 pounds at 45 psi (xkPa) inflation'.

In the absence of owners manual data, I fill them to that. At least the tire manufacturer is down with it. If I remember correctly the whole Firestone/Ford thing was a result of Ford recommending a tire pressure (to improve ride quality) that Firestone itself didn't recommend.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 06:01:05 AM »
FWIW, I run about 60psi in my old C-20.  That takes care of most loads without being too harsh.

If I were to be hauling a big load for a distance, I probably run the back ones up to about 75psi.

The 10 ply tires hold up great on these gravel roads, whereas everything else we have gets flats all the time  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
FWIW, I run about 60psi in my old C-20.  That takes care of most loads without being too harsh.

If I were to be hauling a big load for a distance, I probably run the back ones up to about 75psi.

The 10 ply tires hold up great on these gravel roads, whereas everything else we have gets flats all the time  undecided

I do the exact same but my 10 plys were an accident since I am more of a city boy except for when I'm not.  The tire guy:  "for $9 more per tire you can go from 6 ply to 10 ply!"  Me:  "cool!"  Me driving home:  "Jeebus, this thing sure rides like a truck now and what the hell is that rumbling?"  Not gonna get a flat though!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »
While I don't have an F250 with the high pressure tires, I DO have an F150. I keep them at the tire pressure indicated on the sidewall. (A throwback from my days in Naval Aviation). I've been told that I SHOULD keep them at the recommended tire pressure found on the driver's side door frame. Regardless, I have almost 50K miles on the factory original tires. It's almost time for some new tires, but I still have some decent tread left.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
While I don't have an F250 with the high pressure tires, I DO have an F150. I keep them at the tire pressure indicated on the sidewall. (A throwback from my days in Naval Aviation). I've been told that I SHOULD keep them at the recommended tire pressure found on the driver's side door frame. Regardless, I have almost 50K miles on the factory original tires. It's almost time for some new tires, but I still have some decent tread left.

Would that be the maximum pressure?

And I'm fairly sure that the truck didn't come with an owners manual.

Links to an error page.  undecided

I did some searching and found it available for $16.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&TYPE=OWNERGUIDE

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:06:59 AM »
The sidewall pressure rating is the max inflation.  It it, as you suspect, for maximum weight capacity.  The "everyday" pressure will be less, mostly in the interest of ride comfort.

As has been suggested, look inside the door jambs.  One or the other will have a sticker that indicates the mfg suggested pressure.  If your tires are factory size, use that and adjust as necessary for load/comfort.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
On my F150 (which, incidentally, is still for sale  grin) the label in the drivers side door jamb calls for 36psi in all four.

If you told us what year the truck was, it'd be easy enough to dredge up an answer with Google.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:58:07 AM »
Generally, you want to run the MAXIMUM presure on the sidewall, unless there is a good reason not to.  The reasons for this are:

This gives you the maximum load-bearing weight of the tire - remember, as you turn, accelerate, and brake, the load on each individual tire changes.  Being at max gives you more wiggle room to prevent a blowout due to an extreme dynamic load condition.

The tire will run cooler, with less sidewall flex, making it less prone to blowout and increasing life of the tire.

Maintains the pressure on the ground of the center of the contact patch.

Best gas mileage.

Reasons NOT to run max pressure are:

Ride comfort.

The axle the tire is on is lightly loaded, and max pressure prevents the inner and outer edges of the contact patch from putting full pressur on the ground, causing traction, handling, and tire wear issues.

An attempt to adjust understeer/oversteer characteristics of the vehicle with differential pressure.

Different brand/construction of tires on different axles.

Best way to tell if you are over or under inflating that is available to normal people is a chalk test.  Take a crayon or piece of chalk, and mark the trad of each tirefrom a couple of inches in from the outer edge to a couple of inches up the outer sidewall, a couple of inches wide.  Drive a few blocks, including turns in both directions, and stop and look at the markings:

If the markings are worn off right where the tread stops and the sidewall begns, the inflation is good for those load conditions.

If the chalk extends past the sidewall and onto part of the outer edge of the tread, the tire is overinflated for those conditions.

If the markings are erased accross all of the tread, and partially up the sidewall, the tire is underinflated.

Remember - all pressures are COLD - bumo them up 2 lbs per 35 pounds of pressure if the tires are hot.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

anygunanywhere

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »
My 1999 F250 is 50 front, 70 rear. I keep the rear at 70 to acommodate the fifth wheel trailer. I typically check the pressure at least once each month. My tires last over 55,000 miles. We pull the RV about 8k miles a year. Never had a blowout except on a really old RV tire 3 RVs ago.

I highly recommend sticking with the recommended pressure up front. You can fudge a little on the rear if you want a smoother ride but if yuo load it down you need to air up. Those sidewalls need the pressure with the load increase.

Anygunanywhere

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
Generally, you want to run the MAXIMUM presure on the sidewall, unless there is a good reason not to.  The reasons for this are:

This gives you the maximum load-bearing weight of the tire - remember, as you turn, accelerate, and brake, the load on each individual tire changes.  Being at max gives you more wiggle room to prevent a blowout due to an extreme dynamic load condition.

The tire will run cooler, with less sidewall flex, making it less prone to blowout and increasing life of the tire.

Maintains the pressure on the ground of the center of the contact patch.

Best gas mileage.

Generally, you do NOT want to run the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall, because that's the pressure to be used only when carrying the maximum rated load.

Yes, it gives you the maximum carrying capacity. Which you don't use or need most of the time.

The tire will be riding only on the center of the tread, not the full width. Far from enhancing your control and tire life, you have LESS rubber in contact with the road, worse steering, worse braking, and the center of the tire wears out while you still have lots of tread on the shoulders.

You will get better gas mileage, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design