Author Topic: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!  (Read 19062 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »
I need beer.  That said, I want to try some new stuff, but I'm not sure what to try.  I like lighter beers.  I am a fan of Coors, Killians Irish Red, and Amstel light. 

So - suggest a beer!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Shiner Bock
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
Smuttynose Robust Porter. (not really light, though...)

Sam Adams Black Lager.

And your supermarket should have Belgians, now. Just don't get Blue Moon, it's a fake microbrew made by Coors. Sucks. If you get an import Belgian, squeeze a bit of orange in it.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
If you like Killian's, try the new Sam Adams Irish Red.  It's similar, but much higher quality. 

Sam Adams Black Lager is another favorite of mine. It may look like a heavy beer, but it's very mellow.

If Bell's is available in your area, try their summer brew, Oberon Ale. 

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Umm Maned...are you thinking Sam Adams Black Lager? If so that is a tasty beer. Try Sam Adams Irish Red and their "light" is pretty tasty as well.

I'm a big fan of the Rogue brewery. Their American Amber and Dead Guy Ale are great.

But the best beer I have ever tasted. A beer I will consume on a daily basis if at all possible, is the Spaten Oktoberfest. It may be a little difficult to find, but my god is it worth it.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
Red Hook ESB.  Best beer in America with a twist off cap.  Bar none.  Excellent malt flavor, enough bittering hops to keep it interesting without making you thirstier.  Widmer Bros. Hefeweizen is excellent. 

If you are looking for imports, Paulaner and Spaten Franziskaner are also excellent wheat beers.  Foster's ESB isn't bad, but of course it's actually made by Molson's in Canada IIRC.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »
Umm Maned...are you thinking Sam Adams Black Lager? If so that is a tasty beer. Try Sam Adams Irish Red and their "light" is pretty tasty as well.

I'm a big fan of the Rogue brewery. Their American Amber and Dead Guy Ale are great.

But the best beer I have ever tasted. A beer I will consume on a daily basis if at all possible, is the Spaten Oktoberfest. It may be a little difficult to find, but my god is it worth it.

Yes, I fixed it. There was a commercial for the miniseries on.  rolleyes

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »
Dogfish Head 60 min or Stone IPA are both good summer brews

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
Dogfish Head 60 min or Stone IPA are both good summer brews
Stone IPA is fan-freaking-tastic.  I just can't handle an IPA in 105 degree heat.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

nico

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
I drink Yuengling and Shiner Bock more than anything else because they're the cheapest good beers I know of ($6.99 and $5.99 for a 6-pack of longnecks respectively).  You can't really go wrong with Sam Adams.  Blue Moon isn't the best hefeweizen by any stretch, but I like it, simply for the fact that it introduced me to wheat beer.   

I've tried Grolsch Amber Ale, and I can only describe its flavor as weird; not a fan. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »
Shiner Bock rulez.

And they've got it in northern Ohio now. I'd usually take a case to the Supershoot, and when I got there, I saw it in the grocery.

So I had TWO cases!

(bogie happy dance ensued, and several friends got to experience it - Tom Meredith (of TM Solvent and stockworks) proclaimed that it tasted MUCH better than his solvent).
Blog under construction

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
when were you up here? (bogie)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
For the Supershoot a couple of weeks ago - they're over near Wadsworth/Orrville/Massillon area.

Saw Shiner in a Giant Eagle in Massillon.

Blog under construction

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
I used to drink Killian's, then I discovered Newcastle Brown Ale.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or Heffenheise (sp?). Both excellent.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
Heinekin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »

-BP
I discovered Newcastle Brown Ale during a government sponsored visit to Edinburgh  Scotland in 1991. Man I like that stuff.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »
Fat Tire is a good light beer with a nice bitter aftertaste.  Made in Colorado too.

My favorites are Guinness Extra Stout or Mississippi Mud Black and Tan, but those aren't exactly light beers.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Shiner isn't that far from where I live, so I have toured the brewery neat place.

The wooden nickels they give to redeem for the free taste test was a nice touch.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »
Yuengling

I should own stock, I've probably consumed at least 20 kegs myself.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

-BP
I discovered Newcastle Brown Ale during a government sponsored visit to Edinburgh  Scotland in 1991. Man I like that stuff.

I have one Newkie Brown left in my stash in the garage.  I'm saving it for last and drinking everything else first.  Good stuff.

And for the love of God, friends don't let friends drink Bud!  Boil dogs or brats in it, but don't drink it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

nico

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
And for the love of God, friends don't let friends drink Bud!  Boil dogs or brats in it, but don't drink it.

I disagree.  You should use a good beer for brats.  The first time I had brats cooked in beer, I used Coors and hated them (they tasted too much like Coors).  A year or so later, once I had discovered Yuengling, I tried it with the same recipe, and they tasted like heaven

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
Alaskan Amber

mfree

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »
Been keeping it on the cheap for a while now.... Yuengling. And, almost ashamed to admit, I've usually got a case of Miller High Life in the fridge as "dinner" beer, you know, the lighter stuff that tastes decent and doesn't give you a headache later.

When I'm not penching pennies till' Lincoln howls, I'm usually dancing around the Sam Adams panoply and the few local brews.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
If by commercially available you mean the supermarket, then Franziskaner, or maybe Warsteiner.  Depending on your area they should be fairly easy to find.  Franziskaner is a hefeweizen with banana and clove notes, no carbonation, lots of head.  Fairly thick, but definitely a light beer, great for summer.  Warsteiner is a bit malty for my taste, but it's cheap and a good session beer.

If you're willing to look around a bit, there are a ton of great beers out there.  I prefer hefeweizens, pilsners, or some ales during the warmer months.  Schneider makes some fantastics hefes that are really starting to gain traction in the northeast, depending on your area you should be able to find them or at least have them ordered at your more discriminating stores.  Their regular Weiz and Weiz Hell are good, but their Aventinus, a doppelbock, is one of my staples.  And if you really want to treat yourself, pick up a six pack of their Eisbock (it'll run you a good 50-60 though.)