Author Topic: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!  (Read 19062 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
There is anything from BLVD Brewery, they are out of Kansas City.

Then there also is Pete's Strawberry Blonde or Wicked Ale.

Fat Tire is another good one plus can't go wrong with Shiner.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:54 AM »
Unless I'm out and can get Guinness on tap, I'm drinking Harp, Smithwick's, or Hofbrau.  As said earlier, Warsteiner is good too.  Blue Moon is like orange flavored vomit.  Almost as bad as Hoegaarden, but without the chunks.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 04:13:04 AM »
Any of the nasty artificially fruit-flavored beers like Pete's Wicked Fruity Whatevers literally make me spit it out. It's like trying to drink badly expired kool-aid.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
Nick

Where do you live?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 04:59:29 AM »
Fat tire is another of my favorites. Here lately I have been drinking Yuengling. Awesome out of a tap!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 05:01:15 AM »
Mrs. B. and I like (for a mass-produced domestic) Michelob Amber Bock. For a mega-brewed beer, it's quite good.

For a really yummy one-at-a-time beer, I prefer Paulaner Hefe-weizen. Mmmm-mmmm good

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 05:02:41 AM »
blatz
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 06:02:11 AM »
Arrogant Bastard, by Stone Brewing, is an awesome beer. Not particularly light, but very flavorful.

For a big brewery, I find it hard to go wrong with Henry Weinhard's.

You might want to look around and find Full Sail LTD #1 lager. It's a limited edition that Full Sail is doing. Tastes like Miller would, if Miller were actually worth drinking.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:14 AM »
Fat Tire.

Tusker.

BBK.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 07:17:50 AM »
Fat Tire.

Tusker.

BBK.

BBK is even better when you can get it fresh in K-Town. (aka Kaiserslaturen, Germany.  Just south of Ramstein AFB)  Though my all time favorite German bier is Thurn and Taxis Weissbier.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:15 AM »
Shiner Bock
Shiner Kosmos (limited production)
Michelob Amber
Fat Tire

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
Old English 800

Do not laugh. It has a full smooth taste without any after bite like a pils has or watery/nutty taste like some ales. It has a higher alcohol content that most other beers so take your time drinking it.

Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 07:31:48 AM »
Old English 800

Do not laugh. It has a full smooth taste without any after bite like a pils has or watery/nutty taste like some ales. It has a higher alcohol content that most other beers so take your time drinking it.

That isn't beer. It's malt liquor. Inner city domestic violence in a can. cheesy

Makes its way into a lot of rap and hip-hop lyrics, too. OE and Eightball, that's what they mean.

(Please tell me you don't pour a bit of malt liquor on the ground before drinking, in honor of dead homies, like the hip-hop crowd does...)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
Old English 800

That isn't beer. It's malt liquor. Inner city domestic violence in a can. cheesy

Makes its way into a lot of rap and hip-hop lyrics, too. OE and Eightball, that's what they mean.

(Please tell me you don't pour a bit of malt liquor on the ground before drinking, in honor of dead homies, like the hip-hop crowd does...)

No, why waste that fine brew by dumping it on the ground. Most people I know dismiss OE8 as a "gutter buddy" without having taken a sip of it. Once they had some they usually are surprised by how good it is.  smiley
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:41 AM »
Commercially available is in the eye of the fellow standing before the beer cooler at the store.

If by "commercially available" you mean mass market swill, I can't help.  I am loath to even type those names.  rolleyes

When I ran 48 states, I enjoyed many of the brews by August Schell of New Ulm MN.  If you see them, give them a try.

FWIW, Henry Weinhard no longer exists except as a brand name in the Miller stable.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:01 AM »
New Belgium Fat Tire, New Belgium Skinny Dip. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »
Yuengling - East Coast only, though. Mail order, but more expensive that way.

Shiner Bock - getting better in availability. Great with brisket at Rudy's Bar-B-Q!

Amber Bock - Owned by evil Anheuser-Busch, but still a good brew far enough removed from its stablemates.

New Glarus Spotted Cow - Unfiltered, with the yeast still in the bottle. I *believe* you can get it mail order.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »

When I ran 48 states,

Which two did not fall to your not Evil Overlord-ness ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »
Good beer is very subjective. He may like it, but you may not. It's the classic Ford vs. Chevy, Remington vs. Winchester, McDonald's vs. Burger King debate.

I don't drink much anymore, but there are some decent cheap commerically available beers out there. I used to work for a microbrewery years ago, and was a total beer snob for a while. I wouldn't drink any beer unless it was a microbrew for $6+ per six pack. When I came down from my high horse, I began to appreciate a wider variety of beer. Sometimes I wanted lighter lager, and sometimes I wanted a fuller flavored beer.

Schlitz and Blatz are pretty good cheap american lager style beers. Miller High Life isn't too bad either. I found that most people who complained about them had either never tasted them or only got on the hate bandwagon. In blind taste testing, most people couldn't identify the beer they were drinking, only if they liked the taste or not. I also learned that many microbrewed beer may have stronger flavors, but many had flaws as well such as minor bacterial infections or too warm fermentation temperatures. Charlie Papazian, a master homebrewer, wrote several good books that not only talk about homebrewing, but what certain styles of beer should taste like.

If you like it, and you think it tastes good, then it's good beer. Also, after 3-4 beers, I'm not sure you're drinking for taste after that point...

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 06:34:28 PM »
I am a commercial truck driver. 

While you can get from the contiguous 48 to Alaska by road (ships and barges get most of that freight,) the companies I have driven for do not go that way.

Modern trucks are a wonder but we still do not have routes to Hawaii. grin

Sorry about the trucker-speak.  I once ran 48 states and Canada, I now run OR, WA, CA, ID, and NV.  No Overlordness involved, evil or otherwise.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »
Fat Tire is a good light beer with a nice bitter aftertaste.  Made in Colorado too.

My favorites are Guinness Extra Stout or Mississippi Mud Black and Tan, but those aren't exactly light beers.

I didn't know anyone besides me had ever tried Missy Mud! I used to get it in a little party store/greenhouse and have never seen it anywhere else. The last beer I drank, about 6 years ago was Mud. If I were to take up drinking again, I think that would be it.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
Amber Bock - Owned by evil Anheuser-Busch, but still a good brew far enough removed from its stablemates.
AB may be evil for what they've done to beer, but they do give money to pro-RKABA causes.  I'm fuzzy on the specifics but I've seen them help out CCW laws in at least one state and there was controversy of sorts within the past year with them partnering w/ the NRA.

I've been hearing about Shiner Bock for years from THR and APS folks.  Much to my surprise I actually saw it on the shelves here in MI just two weeks ago.  So, I snagged some.

Not impressed.  It's decent but it's $7.50 a six pack where I got it.  I'd rather grab some Mooshead for that money.  Still, it's better than the Miller/Bud/Molson stuff.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
Anyone near Cincy? Schoengling Little Kings and Hudepohl?

Blog under construction

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »
AB may be evil for what they've done to beer, but they do give money to pro-RKABA causes.  I'm fuzzy on the specifics but I've seen them help out CCW laws in at least one state and there was controversy of sorts within the past year with them partnering w/ the NRA.

They have turned a new leaf then.  Because if my memory serves me correct when MO was working on CCW, AB was against it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 08:26:03 PM »
New Glarus Spotted Cow - Unfiltered, with the yeast still in the bottle. I *believe* you can get it mail order.

oh hell ya! 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536