Author Topic: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!  (Read 19063 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Suggest a good, commercially avaliable beer!
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:34 PM »
Nope. AB was on our side.

The beautiful think about Shiner Bock is that it's tasty when it's cold outside, and just as tasty when you're under that Big Ball Of Fire In The Sky on a summer day in Texas...

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
FWIW, Henry Weinhard no longer exists except as a brand name in the Miller stable.

Many years ago, I used to drive by the Blitz-Weinhard brewery on the way to work every morning.  It smelled wonderful, like driving by a bakery making fresh bread.
At that time I worked for a TV station in downtown Portland.  We used to love watching the new Blitz-Weinhard commercials whenever they came out.  We'd play them over and over in the cart room for laughs.
Oregon Border Patrol officer:  "Where you fellas' goin' with all that beer?"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
Nope. AB was on our side.

Then somehow they played both sides of the fence.  Because I remember that all the major league sports teams ( Chiefs, Royals, Cardinals) put money up against the defeat of the bill.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 05:07:45 AM »
Nick

Where do you live?

-C

Kansas City.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I've complied a list of beers, and I plan to try all of them that are available around here.  Right after I posted this thread, Mike replied, and I went off to the liquor store.  I remembered hearing about Shiner Bock when I was in college, but it wasn't available in Indiana.  sad

It is *tasty*.  It has tons of good, rich flavor, without being overpowering.  grin

Thanks all!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 05:15:13 AM »
Hey being in KC go down to Southwest Blvd and check out Blvd Brewing.

Plus Ezekiel lives in KC.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 05:26:56 AM »

Yuengling.  And not just because the brewery is less than two hours away.  It's the highest quality 'economic' beer I drink.

Otherwise I drink basically any German import (bonus points if a Monk or a Beer wench are on the label), lagers, and Arrogant Bastard Ale.  Last one is probably a given.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »
Bitburger. And if you are ever over the big pond in the Frankfurt area, try Binding Römer Pils. And another great pils I have not seen stateside; Licher.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2008, 06:40:22 AM »
Shiner Bock.

Anygunanywhere

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 07:28:05 AM »
Nick

Where do you live?

-C

Kansas City.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I've complied a list of beers, and I plan to try all of them that are available around here.  Right after I posted this thread, Mike replied, and I went off to the liquor store.  I remembered hearing about Shiner Bock when I was in college, but it wasn't available in Indiana.  sad

It is *tasty*.  It has tons of good, rich flavor, without being overpowering.  grin

Thanks all!

Schell Brewing in New Alm, MN is pretty damn good also. I'm not sure if they distrubute to KS or MO but you can get here in Iowa.

http://www.schellsbrewery.com/home.php
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
Bitburger
Yuck!

That stuff is just as bad as Budweiser.  At least my digestive track thinks so.

I was down in Bavaria for 2 years (Augsburg) and drank plenty of German beer that was waaaaaaaaaay better than that Northerner Bitburger beer. grin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
Anyone near Cincy? Schoengling Little Kings and Hudepohl?

Hudepohl still in business ??

I've still got their commenrative cans from the '75 and '76 World Series   (I grew up in Indianapolis).

Little Kings aka Midget Pee. YUCK.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
I'm drinking some Mac's Blackwatch Cream Porter as I type this.  Goooood....!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 02:40:44 AM »
LennyJoe
[Bitburger]Yuck!

That stuff is just as bad as Budweiser.  At least my digestive track thinks so.

I was down in Bavaria for 2 years (Augsburg) and drank plenty of German beer that was waaaaaaaaaay better than that Northerner Bitburger beer.
Yikes, Budweiser? No comparison; Bud' is sickly tasting stuff. Gosh that stuff is nasty.

I did drink quite a few good beers in Bavaria at times but never bothered to record what they were. Still, german beers are by far the yardstick for the world's best. So are many of their wines for that matter.

Speaking of sickly brews; Fosters comes to mind.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »
Hey being in KC go down to Southwest Blvd and check out Blvd Brewing.

Plus Ezekiel lives in KC.

Tru dat, yo.  (Couldn't help myself, as someone mentioned Olde English 800, previously.)

While not being Ft. Collins, CO, Kansas City has some pretty excellent local brews that are --  readily -- commercially available...  Not counting Boulevard, which is a regional, there are at least six micro-breweries, in the KC metro, that allow take home of their craft-brewed suds.

YUM.
Zeke

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2008, 06:15:36 AM »
Pardon the poor English, but ya gotta love growlers!

atomd

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2008, 08:36:50 AM »
Smuttynose Robust Porter. (not really light, though...)

Smuttynose makes some good stuff...especially that Robust Porter and their IPA. Not a fan of Sam Adams stuff...blah. Some really good beers are mentioned in this thread. Arrogant Bastard is really good. Anything from Dogfish Head, Stone, Victory, Rogue, Bell's, North Coast, etc etc. There's so many good breweries out there in the US now. Belgian ales are always good too. Those brands aren't as common as Coors or anything like that but you can find a few of them or something near as good if you look around. If I'm at a place that serves mostly crap beer, sometimes they might at least have some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale kicking around or something.

I'd have to say Dogfish Head and Victory are my top 2 US breweries.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »
I don't drink much these days and generally go for a microbrew or high quality import when I only want one or two.  However, if I'm going camping or want beer to drink while doing yardwork in the summer, I go for Yuengling, Miller High Life, MGD, or Killians.  Killians was $10/12pack the other week at Harris Teeter.  I should've bought several 12 packs, but only walked out with one.  Three weeks later, I still have a couple bottles left.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Reading through this thread makes me realize just how many great beverage choices we have these days.  Good microbrews are available all over the place.
This thread also makes clear just how many beer snobs we have on this board.  I am proud to call myself one. grin

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
Speaking of sickly brews; Fosters comes to mind
WHAT?  LAK, I'm worried about you man.  Ice cold Fosters is awesome.  It does tend to get a bit nasty towards the bottom of one of them Oil cans when it warms up though. 
I'd take Fosters over Bitburger anyday. 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
WHAT?  LAK, I'm worried about you man.  Ice cold Fosters is awesome.  It does tend to get a bit nasty towards the bottom of one of them Oil cans when it warms up though. 

I see foster's pretty often here in America.

When I was in Australia, I found not one house that served it.  I didn't even see it so much in the grocery store.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

I see foster's pretty often here in America.

When I was in Australia, I found not one house that served it.  I didn't even see it so much in the grocery store.

Foster's here in the states is actually brewed in Canada by Molson's, IIRC.  The Lager is a good lawnmowing beer.  The ESB (Green Can) is not bad.  I'm not sure if it's an actual ESB (ale yeast), or a Killianized version, but it's good.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
I'm not sure what the current status of Foster's Lager is in the U.S., but I used to haul an awful lot (pun intended) from the Miller brewery in Irwindale CA.

"Brewed under license of" has universally proven to equal "don't bother" for me.  Back in the days when Miller brewed "Löwenbräu,"  we managed a blind taste test between Löwenbräu smuggled in from the German domestic market, the German brewed import, and the Miller product.  Among about two dozen guests, we had perfect sorting:  domestic>import>>>Miller-in-green.  When I lived in Australia, I enjoyed quite a bit of Castlemain's XXXX.  I did not get half way through my first and only bottle of the Coors/Unibev fraud.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Get yourself a 12-bottle mix pack of Sam Adams.

2 Sam Adams Boston Lager
2 Sam Adams Boston Ales
2 Sam Adams Summer Ales
2 Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ales
2 Sam Adams Pale Ales
2 Sam Adams Hefeweizen

I liked them all, except the Cherry Wheat.

I also like the Brown Ale, Black Lager, and Honey Porter.

For other brands of beer, try Pete's Wicked Ale.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
Get yourself a 12-bottle mix pack of Sam Adams.

2 Sam Adams Boston Lager
2 Sam Adams Boston Ales
2 Sam Adams Summer Ales
2 Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ales
2 Sam Adams Pale Ales
2 Sam Adams Hefeweizen

I liked them all, except the Cherry Wheat.

I also like the Brown Ale, Black Lager, and Honey Porter.

For other brands of beer, try Pete's Wicked Ale.

The Cherry Wheat is gross. It reminded me of cherry cough syrup.

The rest, tasty. Black Lager definitely. And Cream Stout if you can find it!

I was Not Happy that the local store that carries the better imports jacked up their prices to insane levels recently. Dogfish Head for like $12 a 6 pack, and Stone, we won't even go there. It was like "Ha!...No."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »
When I lived in Australia, I enjoyed quite a bit of Castlemain's XXXX.

I agree, Chuck.  Castlemain's XXXX is good stuff.  Had it when I was "Down Under" myself.  Once in a great while you can find it here in the States.